PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't it be to improve the team no matter

brm7675
07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
I read the below and really worry that our GM is well...clueless... I mean isn't the objective of his job to improve the team no matter where they are in the standings...

"An unnamed general manager told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that Reds GM Walt Jocketty seems unsure about which course to take between now and Sunday’s trade deadline"

R_Webb18
07-29-2011, 02:16 PM
of course it is.

bshall2105
07-29-2011, 02:32 PM
We need to be building for 2012 and if that is not the action that Walter takes I will be no longer be content with him as the Reds GM.

Jefferson24
07-29-2011, 02:34 PM
It just comes down to which type of player do you make a move for, a 2 month rental or somebody for the next 2-3 years. I think Walt was probably unsure a week ago as to which of those two players to go for. I hope the answer is now perfectly clear.

brm7675
07-29-2011, 02:54 PM
the idea of a rental should have NEVER been in his mind 2 weeks ago. The Reds have a future and need to add talent that will be around for 2-3 years, not 2-3 months. Again more proof that if he was thinking rental he needs to go....

R_Webb18
07-29-2011, 02:56 PM
the idea of a rental should have NEVER been in his mind 2 weeks ago. The Reds have a future and need to add talent that will be around for 2-3 years, not 2-3 months. Again more proof that if he was thinking rental he needs to go....

don't think he was

mrherd05
07-29-2011, 02:57 PM
We are 6.5 games back. Have the most talent and you want to plan for 2012. Good grief.

Girevik
07-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't get what's so hard to figure out. Obviously you don't rent a guy this year, but if you think you still have a shot at the playoffs this year you don't move guys like Cordero and Hernandez. If you think it's a lost cause then go ahead and move them.

I'd have a tough time making that call if I were in his shoes (alghough it's admitidly easier now than it was a week ago).

Hey Meat
07-29-2011, 03:24 PM
If this front office doesn't get off its hands and try to do something at the trade deadline this year then we should all be highly ticked off. We sat around last year and did nothing at the deadline because we felt the team was fine as is. We did virtually nothing this off season for the same reason. Now he is unsure about which direction to go. Come on Walt, WAKE UP. MAKE A MOVE TO MAKE THIS TEAM BETTER!

brm7675
07-29-2011, 03:53 PM
We are 6.5 games back. Have the most talent and you want to plan for 2012. Good grief.

Yep becasue this year is over, we are to far back, to many teams to jump and to many issues to address this season. A "good" GM will see that and begin addressing for the future.

brm7675
07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't get what's so hard to figure out. Obviously you don't rent a guy this year, but if you think you still have a shot at the playoffs this year you don't move guys like Cordero and Hernandez. If you think it's a lost cause then go ahead and move them.

I'd have a tough time making that call if I were in his shoes (alghough it's admitidly easier now than it was a week ago).

If anyone here can say after watching this team over the past month and especially the last 4 homes games really feel this team can not only pass four teams and make the playoffs and then win in the playoffs I want what you are drinking.:thumbup:

Girevik
07-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Which is exactly why I said it's easier now that it was a week ago. But look at what the Twins did last year. If you move guys like Cordero or Hernandez your giving up your last hope of that. I would WANT him to think about it before pulling the trigger.

At any rate, to suggest that the quote means he's considering a rental, which is what a lot of folks seemed to be indicating, is just foolish.

brm7675
07-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Which is exactly why I said it's easier now that it was a week ago. But look at what the Twins did last year. If you move guys like Cordero or Hernandez your giving up your last hope of that. I would WANT him to think about it before pulling the trigger.

At any rate, to suggest that the quote means he's considering a rental, which is what a lot of folks seemed to be indicating, is just foolish.

How would moving either of them give up your last hope? We have replacements for both who can probably do just as well in the organization. I really don't see losing either as a sign of defeat...

Girevik
07-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Really? With the exception of the weekend before the all-star game, Cordero has been lights out this year. Not only do you have to hope the new closer does as well, but you also have to fill his spot on the roster from AAA so THAT guy has to perform as well as the guys at the top of your pen.

And to expect a guy to come up from AAA who has never even played at the big league level to completely fill the shoes of a guy who's been as solid as Hernandez? If either one were to happen, I'd say the Reds got lucky. If they BOTH happned it would be a miracle.

Teams that think they have a legit chance at the playoff simply do NOT trade their closer and #1 catcher at the deadline. If you want to do it to prepare for next year, then fine, but there is no way you can justify doing that and saying you are playing for THIS post season.