PDA

View Full Version : Fred Lewis over Yonder Alonso

Matt700wlw
07-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Sadly, it is the case tonight. Lewis starts, Alonso sits.

So glad he was brought up.

LoganBuck
07-29-2011, 03:35 PM
In the trade rumor thread I assumed there was a trade in the works. Now I am just ticked about this. The only reason to bring Alonso up was to play him. Instead he rides the pine in favor of Fred Lewis.

Is Fred Lewis dating Dusty's daughter?

CySeymour
07-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Situations like this is when the GM needs to step in and save Dusty from himself by getting Lewis off the roster somehow.

cincyinco
07-29-2011, 03:38 PM
He's the new CP!

LvJ
07-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Really really really frustrating.

IslandRed
07-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm only going to sweat this starting Monday. Until then, for all I know, we're crying over the next first baseman for Colorado or Tampa. :p

mdccclxix
07-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Maybe Alonso's part of a few different deals, so they're limiting his risk exposure. Haha, just reaching here.

redsmetz
07-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm only going to sweat this starting Monday. Until then, for all I know, we're crying over the next first baseman for Colorado or Tampa. :p

I think this is the correct approach. As you say, until the deadline passes, who knows what any moves mean.

Brutus
07-29-2011, 03:45 PM
In the trade rumor thread I assumed there was a trade in the works. Now I am just ticked about this. The only reason to bring Alonso up was to play him. Instead he rides the pine in favor of Fred Lewis.

Is Fred Lewis dating Dusty's daughter?

He was brought up because the Reds needed an outfielder to take the place of Gomes. They only had two options. It was easier to bring him up instead of Hermida.

When the Reds make an acquisition for an outfielder, which appears to be on the way in some form, you'll see him back in AAA and getting everyday at-bats.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
He was brought up because the Reds needed an outfielder to take the place of Gomes. They only had two options. It was easier to bring him up instead of Hermida.

When the Reds make an acquisition for an outfielder, which appears to be on the way in some form, you'll see him back in AAA and getting everyday at-bats.

Got that. But while he's here, he should be playing over Fred Lewis.

No question.

Caveat Emperor
07-29-2011, 03:48 PM

You've repeated this before -- why was he easier to bring up than Hermida? Hermida's on the 40-man too.

Brutus
07-29-2011, 03:50 PM
You've repeated this before -- why was he easier to bring up than Hermida? Hermida's on the 40-man too.

Procedurally, it requires Hermida clearing option waivers over 48-business hours to be optioned. Option waivers don't run on weekends to make it more inconvenient. This means they'd have to option another player if it were over the weekend, but said player could not be brought back up for 10 days if they do that.

Combine it with the fact the Reds probably don't like calling up a vet just to send back down, it's just slightly easier to bring up Alonso for a few days.

OldXOhio
07-29-2011, 04:01 PM
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in thinking Alonso is merely trade bait. His stock has never been higher. Run him out there for a week before the deadline and he doesn't hit, then some of the luster could be off. Far more downside than up right now if you're trading him. If after aug 1 he's still sitting, then chalk it up to further cluelessness by the mgr.

HokieRed
07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I suspect this has nothing whatever to do with Alonso's trade value, or its perception, and everything to do with Dusty.

redsfaninbsg
07-29-2011, 04:29 PM
For some reason, the Reds still think they can win this year.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
For some reason, the Reds still think they can win this year.

They need to go on at least a 10-game streak (soon) to even have a chance.

Joseph
07-29-2011, 04:33 PM
They need to go on at least a 10-game streak (soon) to even have a chance.

And assuming 90 wins +/- is needed for the division title, the Reds would have to go something like 40-17 to finish the season.

Yeah.

camisadelgolf
07-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Doesn't Fred Lewis deserve a trial to find out whether he deserves a roster spot in 2012? The Reds have just a couple months to decide whether they should offer him arbitration. Barring trades, let him get some playing time for a couple weeks, and if he sinks, let him loose. If he swims, keep him around.

redsfaninbsg
07-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Doesn't Fred Lewis deserve a trial to find out whether he deserves a roster spot in 2012? The Reds have just a couple months to decide whether they should offer him arbitration. Barring trades, let him get some playing time for a couple weeks, and if he sinks, let him loose. If he swims, keep him around.

He does, I'd rather see organizational guys get first crack, but that's me. I really feel like the only reason he's playing is because Dusty still feels this team can win this year.

Reds Fanatic
07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
This is from John Fay's twitter: Dusty on Alonso not starting:

Baker on Alonso: He'll start at some point. He's been working in outfield with Hatcher.

dougdirt
07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
This is from John Fay's twitter: Dusty on Alonso not starting:

To which my response was : Sometime after Dusty is gone...

edabbs44
07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Sadly, it is the case tonight. Lewis starts, Alonso sits.

So glad he was brought up.

I wonder if we will see his playing time change after July 31.