PDA

View Full Version : Furcal to Cardinals close..

mroby85
07-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Buster Olney- Dodgers on the verge of trading Rafael Furcal to the Cardinals. Not done, but close. #trades

mrherd05
07-30-2011, 04:05 PM
This is getting ridiculous if it happens.

We are on the verge of becoming the Orioles or the Blue Jays. Stuck in a division where we cant compete because teams like the Cards and the Cubs chuck money all over the place.

mroby85
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I think the ridiculous part is how much the Reds refuse to do any chucking of $, but I agree, it's no fun for us.

BRM13
07-30-2011, 04:20 PM
This is getting ridiculous if it happens.

We are on the verge of becoming the Orioles or the Blue Jays. Stuck in a division where we cant compete because teams like the Cards and the Cubs chuck money all over the place.

To some degree we already are stuck in that place. The Cubs and Cardinals generate a lot more revenue than the Reds. The Cubs have never spent it well so it hasn't been a Boston/Yankee level problem for the Reds but the Cardinals have historically been reasonably smart, so they have lot more eras of sustained good teams. The Reds are getting better at generating revenue, but they are still a long way behind the Cardinals.

The Marge Schott and especially the Carl Lindner years of ownership really didn't help a bit along these lines.

Disclaimer: I know winning helps generate revenue and that investing in being good has helped give the Cardinals the long term revenue advantage they have had over the Reds. I'm just saying that, however we got here in 2011, the Reds are in tough spot with regards to relative revenue within their division.

DocRed
07-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Furcal is terrible

mrherd05
07-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, in that case, the Reds "fans" of Cincinnati and the surrounding areas are to blame. St. Louis and Chicago support their clubs at the gate, Cincinnati got all pissy after the strike in the 90's and took their ball and went home.

ruREaDy2
07-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Another reason why their needs to be a salary cap/salary floor in MLB. Every other pro sports league already has it.

Stray
07-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah Furcal isn't that good anymore. This move makes the Cardinals marginally better, bullpen help might put them over the top.

Newman4
07-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Good news is that the cardinals are acquiring rentals and giving up prospects to do so. Aside from the two SP prospects their system is already weak. They still aren't better than the NLs best either.

AintlifeGrande
07-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Furcal is terrible

And another injury waiting to happen.Given his track record.

mrherd05
07-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Good news is that the cardinals are acquiring rentals and giving up prospects to do so. Aside from the two SP prospects their system is already weak. They still aren't better than the NLs best either.

This is what they have always done. The Phillies are doing it too. Who cares how good your system is if they are blocked by better, more proven players, or if they are just going to set in AAA all the time.

You have to trade talent in order to get talent in return.

Vottomatic
07-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Kind of funny watching the Cards and Brewers go all out to try and win the worst division in baseball. Even if they make the playoffs, they ain't going nowhere.

mroby85
07-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Kind of funny watching the Cards and Brewers go all out to try and win the worst division in baseball. Even if they make the playoffs, they ain't going nowhere.

Thats what they said about the Cards in '06 lol.

R_Webb18
07-30-2011, 05:30 PM

if ur in anything is possible :)

Vottomatic
07-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Probably the worst World Series champ of all time.

bounty37h
07-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Thought Dodgers were "locked up" and not trading right now??

Tuff Nut
07-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Reguardless.........just like in golf; they don't ask you how?

NCCardfan
07-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Thought Dodgers were "locked up" and not trading right now??

Salary dumping will be allowed. the reason they are 'locked up' is because they can't make payroll so taking on salary is not an option but dumping salary is ok.

The orginization cannot firesale all their talent. The reason Furcal can go is that his performance this year thus far is far less than his $12M salary burden. His option for 2012 factors in also but unless he goes all-star caliber for the rest of the season he won't get that picked up.

Furcal has played better since coming off the DL a few weeks ago so it's a shot in the dark but a pretty good shot to make. Theriot is the worst SS in the ML defense wise averaging 1+ errors a week. with the ground ball staff in the 'lou that's a recipe for disaster.

Someone mentioned that the Reds don't generate the revenue that STL does. That is too bad, the NL Central could be a real competitive hotbed if 3-4 teams could spend just above league average every year. It happens now and as of today, the NL Central has 4 teams in the division hunt and all 4 teams payroll is less than the Yankees and RedSox payrolls.

To go on record, if STL can't win the central, I would love to see PIT get it just like it was nice to see 4 of the other 5 teams each win the division and MIL get in as a wild card in the last 6 seasons. Parity instead of dominance is key to keeping fans interested IMO.

Salary cap/floor YES!!!!:beerme::beerme::beerme:

SidneySlicker
07-30-2011, 08:52 PM
You guys are seriously this upset over the Cardinals obtaining a soon to be 34 year old shortstop who's batting .197 on the year? Lighten up.

bshall2105
07-30-2011, 08:55 PM

I'd say they're ahead of the 75 and 76 Reds but that's about it.

Vottomatic
07-30-2011, 09:01 PM
You guys are seriously this upset over the Cardinals obtaining a soon to be 34 year old shortstop who's batting .197 on the year? Lighten up.

I'm not upset.

I just don't see the Brewers, Pirates, or Cardinals doing much in the postseason, so I find it funny that they are going all out in these trades.

I know anything can happen when you get there, but seriously, the Giants have better pitching, and so do the Phils. And the Phils have better offense on paper. Red Sox and Yankees are both stronger than any team in the Central.

I hope the Cards and Brewers have mortgaged their futures and fall way short.

BluegrassRedleg
07-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Furcal is terrible

And spends most of his time on the DL.

mckbearcat48
07-31-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm not upset.

I just don't see the Brewers, Pirates, or Cardinals doing much in the postseason, so I find it funny that they are going all out in these trades.

I know anything can happen when you get there, but seriously, the Giants have better pitching, and so do the Phils. And the Phils have better offense on paper. Red Sox and Yankees are both stronger than any team in the Central.

I hope the Cards and Brewers have mortgaged their futures and fall way short.

It's funny that Mo is using the same strategy that Walt Jocketty used to use in St. Louis. Trade mid-range prospects for rentals, and somehow gets them to sign after a few months on the job in STL.