PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Bronson

powersackers
08-01-2011, 02:14 PM
We added two years through 2013 and $23.5 million in new money to him. That's quite a handicap. So what can we possibly do with this guy?

-1.1 WAR this season. Average big league starter for the past 3 years prior.

I say the answer is clear, Move LeCure to the rotation and make Bronson the highest paid long man in baseball.

brm7675
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
They need to just shut him down, to think his pitching isn't being impacted on my the mono is just not thinking. shut him down, bring up Wood and finish the season that way.

DocRed
08-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I can't believe he is starting tonight....this is his last chance IMO. If he can't beat the AAA Astros then he needs to be removed from the Starting Rotation, DL'd or something....he is flat out hurting this team.

redram
08-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I can't believe he is starting tonight....this is his last chance IMO. If he can't beat the AAA Astros then he needs to be removed from the Starting Rotation, DL'd or something....he is flat out hurting this team.

Not sure I would say HE is hurting the team. He is just doing what he is asked to do by his Manager. Bronson is trying his best, and IMO he should be given props for just going out there with Mono. It is Baker that is hurting this team by not shutting him down. I am sure Bronson tells Dusty he wants to pitch, but the manager has to step in sometimes and just say NO, thank him for his determination but do what is best for the TEAM.

DocRed
08-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Not sure I would say HE is hurting the team. He is just doing what he is asked to do by his Manager. Bronson is trying his best, and IMO he should be given props for just going out there with Mono. It is Baker that is hurting this team by not shutting him down. I am sure Bronson tells Dusty he wants to pitch, but the manager has to step in sometimes and just say NO, thank him for his determination but do what is best for the TEAM.

Of course he is hurting his team. And of course he is doing his best, I have no doubt about that as well. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Stray
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
He was cleared by doctors so it's not a health issue. The only thing I can think of is that he's never really fully recovered his strength after getting mono, and with 100+ heat index games all summer it's probably made it harder for him to catch up.

If he struggles tonight you have to DL him, that way he can be good to go next year. He's not as bad as he's pitching right now...I really don't think a guy that has made a career on throwing 67 mph breaking balls just loses it like that.

Vottomatic
08-01-2011, 04:29 PM
He was cleared by doctors so it's not a health issue. The only thing I can think of is that he's never really fully recovered his strength after getting mono, and with 100+ head index games all summer it's probably made it harder for him to catch up.

If he struggles tonight you have to DL him, that way he can be good to go next year. He's not as bad as he's pitching right now...I really don't think a guy that has made a career on throwing 67 mph breaking balls just loses it like that.

Yeah, just because someone is over a sickness, doesn't mean they're back at full strength.

I fully believe Arroyo isn't back to full strength, and that is the problem.

I think they should shut him down for the season and bring up Wood.

redram
08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Of course he is hurting his team. And of course he is doing his best, I have no doubt about that as well. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Well, I disagree with you. he is doing what he is told to do and he is doing it the best that he can. He is only hurting the team because he is being thrown out there every 5 days by the MANAGER. That means Dusty is hurting the team, Bronson is only doing what he is told to do by his BOSS. It is no different if you had an employee that was hurt yet you had him doing jobs he could not physically do. Who is the one hurting your company the employee that is hurt or the Boss that keeps asking him to do what he cannot do as well as someone that is not hurt. It is no different in this case.

DocRed
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, I disagree with you. he is doing what he is told to do and he is doing it the best that he can. He is only hurting the team because he is being thrown out there every 5 days by the MANAGER. That means Dusty is hurting the team, Bronson is only doing what he is told to do by his BOSS. It is no different if you had an employee that was hurt yet you had him doing jobs he could not physically do. Who is the one hurting your company the employee that is hurt or the Boss that keeps asking him to do what he cannot do as well as someone that is not hurt. It is no different in this case.

OK, I see your point and I basically agree...just a matter of semantics. I too am more frustrated with management mainly. :)

Kingspoint
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Bronson should have been in a Hospital any of the preceding 4 months. Send him there now.

R_Webb18
08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Move LeCure to the rotation and make

not this.

brm7675
08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
He was cleared by doctors so it's not a health issue. The only thing I can think of is that he's never really fully recovered his strength after getting mono, and with 100+ heat index games all summer it's probably made it harder for him to catch up.

You actually believe what the Reds doctors and the Reds say?

LeDoux
08-01-2011, 06:47 PM
The way the Reds have handled Arroyo is puzzling. Between the mono and the 2-3 mph drop in velocity, it seems like there is a physical problem. His recent physical didn't turn up anything, but that means very little. My biggest fear is that pitching him with mono was like running an engine without oil. He may have put years of wear and tear on his arm this season. I don't really know if the problem is temporary or permanent, but given his recent ineffectiveness, a 15 day DL stint seems like the best course. But since he continues to be in the lineup, I hope he matches Cueto's Sunday performance.

bigredmechanism
08-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Key will be pulling him after 5 strong innings. It seems like all year he started getting in trouble in the 6th. Unless he is throwing a no hitter or an absolute GEM, I want to see someone throwing in the bullpen after 5.

First batter to reach in the 6th or later = reliever comes in. After Cueto's CG yesterday, we should be good and rested.

DocRed
08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Worst pitcher in mlb

nux fan
08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
complete garbage

Jefferson24
08-01-2011, 09:48 PM
They need to just shut him down, to think his pitching isn't being impacted on my the mono is just not thinking. shut him down, bring up Wood and finish the season that way.

I would much rather have Volquez, Wood has not done that well.

DocRed
08-01-2011, 09:53 PM
If Bumson A-YoYo doesn't get Dl'd, DFA'd or something after tonight then Walt, Dusty and Bob are the biggest IDIOTS in the history of baseball.

webbbj
08-01-2011, 10:25 PM
probably starts next game

SwingKing01
08-02-2011, 02:32 AM
I am puzzled by the situation as well. Arroyo is the type of guy who will tell you if he can bring it. If Baker goes out to the mound and ask him if he can get this guy out, if Arroyo can't or doesn't think he has any left in the tank, then he is gonna tell Dusty to pull his butt. Some may think that's soft but I think it has saved some games for the Reds. Arroyo has always been about hitting his spots and mixing up speeds. I like everyone else am disappointed by this year, the lack of clutch hitting, the terrible starting pitching, Dusty's mistakes, and all the other shenanigans that this year has brought, but I will still get behind Arroyo, remember how awful Harang was and look how well he has done this year.

BluegrassRedleg
08-02-2011, 02:43 AM
complete garbage

No need for that. The guy has gone out and represented this organization extremely well during his time with the Reds. He's having a bad year. Just leave it at that.

I'll always appreciate Bronson, even if this is the end of the line.

LeDoux
08-02-2011, 02:44 AM
I am puzzled by the situation as well. Arroyo is the type of guy who will tell you if he can bring it. If Baker goes out to the mound and ask him if he can get this guy out, if Arroyo can't or doesn't think he has any left in the tank, then he is gonna tell Dusty to pull his butt. Some may think that's soft but I think it has saved some games for the Reds. Arroyo has always been about hitting his spots and mixing up speeds. I like everyone else am disappointed by this year, the lack of clutch hitting, the terrible starting pitching, Dusty's mistakes, and all the other shenanigans that this year has brought, but I will still get behind Arroyo, remember how awful Harang was and look how well he has done this year.

I think most posters want Arroyo to succeed. But many of us believe the DL is the best course for him and the team. Let him rest a couple weeks and see if he can get his some velocity back. Even a workhorse needs rest occasionaly.

Moosie52
08-02-2011, 08:25 AM
The guy pitched 8 innings with 6 hits and 3 runs last night. I think that might be a turning point in his season.

Vottomatic
08-02-2011, 08:31 AM
In the second inning, I thought he was done, giving up those 3 runs and getting hit hard. I even turned the game off, but checked back in the 8th inning. Was surprised he went 8 and the 3 runs were all he gave up. Considering out bullpen couldn't shut down the Astros double A lineup, I give Bronson props for going 8 and getting it together.

FireDusty
08-02-2011, 09:11 AM
He'll rebound next year. I hope he makes it to the end of the year without hurting himself. He just never got his feet under him this year.

He's a #3, or #4 starter. We found an ace this year, now we need to find a bonafide #2.