PDA

View Full Version : Candidates Announced for 2012 Reds HOF Induction

Reds Freak
08-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Brantley, Casey, Franco, Graves, Morris, O'Neill, Sanders, Sullivan.

Who you got? Without looking at any numbers, I'd say Casey and Graves should be locks...

_Sir_Charles_
08-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I'd say Casey & Franco. John Franco was awesome, one of my favorite Reds pitchers.

The Voice of IH
08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I would really appreciate Graves and Casey being in the hall.

medford
08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Is this strictly a fan vote?

If so...

Brantly probably gets extra play for his current role and fan's awareness of him.
Sean Casey is a lock as a fan favorite despite a drop in power in the later years of his Reds tenure.
Franco, was he a Red long enough? I think of him more as a Met
Graves, stats wise he should be in, but how much will the fans not vote for him following the flipping of the bird as well as the Wildman situation.
Hal Morris, Sean Casey light w/o the huge fan appeal. Not really sure why he's even nominated.
Paul O'Neill, not sure he did enough as a Red to earn such an honor, but his role on the '90 squad as well as his run in NY probably gets him the fan vote. Plus he's local.
Reggie Sanders, I'll assume better numbers as a Red than O'Neill or Casey but kind of forgotten about other than the strikeouts vs Atlanta
Sullivan, casual fan will say "Who?", but anyone that followed the Reds over those years know how valuable his rubber arm was to the organization. Should be in, but he doesn't have the counting stats to pick up the fans vote.

When the nuts and bolts shake out...

Casey and O'Neill are your inductees this season.

Reds Freak
08-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I should have clarified. These are the players for the fan vote. The one player from this list who receives the most votes will be inducted along with a player voted in by the Reds HOF veteran committee. Players on the fan ballot must have played for the Reds within the last 13 years.

I'd be shocked if it's not the Mayor.

wolfboy
08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Is this strictly a fan vote?

If so...

Brantly probably gets extra play for his current role and fan's awareness of him.
Sean Casey is a lock as a fan favorite despite a drop in power in the later years of his Reds tenure.
Franco, was he a Red long enough? I think of him more as a Met
Graves, stats wise he should be in, but how much will the fans not vote for him following the flipping of the bird as well as the Wildman situation.
Hal Morris, Sean Casey light w/o the huge fan appeal. Not really sure why he's even nominated.
Paul O'Neill, not sure he did enough as a Red to earn such an honor, but his role on the '90 squad as well as his run in NY probably gets him the fan vote. Plus he's local.
Reggie Sanders, I'll assume better numbers as a Red than O'Neill or Casey but kind of forgotten about other than the strikeouts vs Atlanta
Sullivan, casual fan will say "Who?", but anyone that followed the Reds over those years know how valuable his rubber arm was to the organization. Should be in, but he doesn't have the counting stats to pick up the fans vote.

When the nuts and bolts shake out...

Casey and O'Neill are your inductees this season.

I saw a link to the ballot on my facebook feed via the Reds. When I looked at the comments, I'd say about 75% said they're voting for Pete Rose. I don't know what that says about the fan vote.

Sea Ray
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I'd vote for Sullivan based on the role he played. Very unique and we've seen very few like him. Pedro Borbon is the only similar Red I can recall.

None of the others would garner my vote. We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now

HokieRed
08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Casey will probably get in, but I wouldn't vote for any of them. Nice players all, just not HOFers.

redsmetz
08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I'd vote for Sullivan based on the role he played. Very unique and we've seen very few like him. Pedro Borbon is the only similar Red I can recall.

None of the others would garner my vote. We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now

Really? This is one of the toughest groups I've seen for the Reds HOF. Graves & Franco are #1 and #2 respectively for all-time saves for the Reds, Brantley is tied for 5th with Rob Dibble. No question that both Graves & Franco deserve to be in our HOF.

Here's the link outlining the records of those up for a vote this year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/cin/hof/hof/index.jsp?loc=ballot_vote

medford
08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I should have clarified. These are the players for the fan vote. The one player from this list who receives the most votes will be inducted along with a player voted in by the Reds HOF veteran committee. Players on the fan ballot must have played for the Reds within the last 13 years.

I'd be shocked if it's not the Mayor.

If that's the case, then I think its the Mayor by the fans vote in a large margin, and Franco getting the HoF committe selection.

Big Klu
08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
If Danny Graves gets inducted, I will never go to the Reds Hall Of Fame again.

MrCinatit
08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
If it is only one, via fan vote, then it is Sean Casey, easily. Danny Graves will make it some time and in some way, and Johnny Franco should probably make it as well, barely.

Johnny Footstool
08-01-2011, 04:45 PM
None of the above.

Slim pickings from the dark ages of Reds history.

George Anderson
08-01-2011, 05:00 PM
None of the above.

Slim pickings from the dark ages of Reds history.

+1

reds1869
08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Casey will get in but I'm not sure if he is really all that deserving. I love him; he's a great guy and he was a fun player to watch, but I'm not sure he belongs in the Reds Hall of Fame.

George Anderson
08-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Casey will get in but I'm not sure if he is really all that deserving. I love him; he's a great guy and he was a fun player to watch, but I'm not sure he belongs in the Reds Hall of Fame.

The fact the Reds kept Casey as opposed to Paul Konerko should automatically disqualify him.

dabvu2498
08-01-2011, 05:25 PM
The fact the Reds kept Casey as opposed to Paul Konerko should automatically disqualify him.

Konerko begat Mike Cameron who begat Griffey...

Cameron/Griffey+Casey > Konerko+whoever they could have gotten for Casey, IMHO.

It's not like Casey was chopped liver as a player. OPS+ of 114 as a Red. Add in the fan-friendliness and PR and he's a no-brainer.

westofyou
08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Jeff Brantley?

Puleeze

Sea Ray
08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Really? This is one of the toughest groups I've seen for the Reds HOF. Graves & Franco are #1 and #2 respectively for all-time saves for the Reds, Brantley is tied for 5th with Rob Dibble. No question that both Graves & Franco deserve to be in our HOF.

Here's the link outlining the records of those up for a vote this year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/cin/hof/hof/index.jsp?loc=ballot_vote

Don't fall into the mistake of tunnel vision. We can't just add up the saves and call him a hall of famer. Remember that Graves had 8 or 9 blown saves a year which is unacceptable. He also was so bad as a closer that he was moved to the starting rotation. If that's a hall of fame career then it belittles those that are already inducted.

I'd vote for John Franco if he'd been with the Reds just a little longer. He had four seasons as our closer

Joseph
08-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I love the Reds hall of fame. I don't like that each year there are automatically players inducted though. It takes away a bit from it.

I'd like to see a vote more like the BBWAA where a certain percentage is required, or perhaps a fan vote determines the top 5 and then there is a committee to decide who gets in.

camisadelgolf
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
If Chris Sabo deserves a spot in the Reds Hall of Fame, then so do Reggie Sanders and Sean Casey. But since Pedro Borbon earned a spot, I'd say all of the nominees listed except Scott Sullivan deserve it even more so. Sullivan's one of my favorite players from those days, but Borbon was better, and I never would've picked Borbon to be in the Reds' Hall.

George Anderson
08-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Konerko begat Mike Cameron who begat Griffey...

Cameron/Griffey+Casey > Konerko+whoever they could have gotten for Casey, IMHO.

It's not like Casey was chopped liver as a player. OPS+ of 114 as a Red. Add in the fan-friendliness and PR and he's a no-brainer.

If the Reds weren't so wise in the mid 80's we could be sitting here justifying whether Kurt Stillwell belongs in the Reds HOF or not while Barry Larkin was getting ready to be inducted into Cooperstown with another teams hat on his plaque. Same goes with the Casey/Konerko connection. Keeping Casey and trading Konerko was a huge mistake. A few more good years and Konerko could go to Cooperstown while we were stuck with nice guy Casey who had a couple good years for the Reds.

Casey to me was a bust. Yes he had a few good years with the bat but his fielding was average at best and his base running ability was pretty bad. Yea sure he was a nice guy and a fan favorite but this is an honor that should only go to the very best to ever wear a Reds uniform and not the most popular or the nicest guy.

camisadelgolf
08-01-2011, 06:52 PM
If the Reds weren't so wise in the mid 80's we could be sitting here justifying whether Kurt Stillwell belongs in the Reds HOF or not while Barry Larkin was getting ready to be inducted into Cooperstown with another teams hat on his plaque. Same goes with the Casey/Konerko connection. Keeping Casey and trading Konerko was a huge mistake. A few more good years and Konerko could go to Cooperstown while we were stuck with nice guy Casey who had a couple good years for the Reds.

Casey to me was a bust. Yes he had a few good years with the bat but his fielding was average at best and his base running ability was pretty bad. Yea sure he was a nice guy and a fan favorite but this is an honor that should only go to the very best to ever wear a Reds uniform and not the most popular or the nicest guy.
You're implying that the Reds would've been better with Konerko, and I couldn't disagree more.

First of all, I always thought Casey was pretty decent with the glove. His range was nothing special, but he could pick balls out of the dirt with the best of them, did a great job of getting the ball to the pitcher, and made all the routine plays with very few errors. Paul Konerko, on the other hand, is a mediocre first baseman--maybe even poor.

Second of all, when Sean Casey was a Red, he outproduced Konerko more often than not. On top of that, during that span, Konerko got paid almost $5M more. I bring up money because that's the reason the Reds traded Casey away. They couldn't afford Sean Casey in 2006, and if they couldn't afford Casey, then they sure as heck couldn't have afforded Konerko. Since 2006, Casey earned $13.3M, and Konerko--so far--has earned more than $60M more than that.

Sean Casey - 15.8 WAR, $41.465M, $2.62M per WAR
Paul Konerko - 25.3 WAR, $103.290M, $4.08M per WAR

If you're a team on a budget--which the Reds always are--then you're much better off with Sean Casey. That's also not to mention that Konerko's best years are his most recent ones when the Reds have Joey Votto. Context is very important when asking oneself whether the Reds would've been better off with Konerko or Casey on the team.

Paul Konerko has had a few good years, but the Reds chose to trade him for Mike Cameron, who outperformed both Konerko and Casey for pretty much his entire career while making significantly less money than Konerko.

As we all know, hindsight is 20/20, but the Reds made the right choice in trading Konerko and the wrong choice in trading Mike Cameron.

Reds Freak
08-01-2011, 06:56 PM
I love the Reds hall of fame. I don't like that each year there are automatically players inducted though. It takes away a bit from it.

I'd like to see a vote more like the BBWAA where a certain percentage is required, or perhaps a fan vote determines the top 5 and then there is a committee to decide who gets in.

I believe Hall of Famers are inducted every other year, but I get your point...

Tom Servo
08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Nobody scores off of Danny Graves.

redsfaninbsg
08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Why any team would want to put a guy in their hall of fame that flipped off its fans, I have no idea. Sean Casey is my favorite Red of all time, so he's getting my vote.

AtomicDumpling
08-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Casey, Franco and O'Neill should get in eventually. Casey this year.

Roy Tucker
08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Franco and Sullivan are my picks.

Graves was a reason why the save as a stat is overrated. He was a tight-rope walk every time out.

I love Casey but besides his 1999 and 2000 seasons, he wasn't all that great.

O'Neil, Sanders, and Morris were nice players, but nothing HOF-worthy. The only reason why Brantley is on the ballot is because he's a breadcaster now.

Sea Ray
08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Graves in the beginning was very good. He threw hard and had a great sink on his FB but he ate himself out of the league. Too much time eating Krispy Kremes/getting tattos and not enough time perfecting his craft

KronoRed
08-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Is there a rule that somebody has to go in each year?

WVRedsFan
08-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Brantley, Casey, Franco, Graves, Morris, O'Neill, Sanders, Sullivan.

Who you got? Without looking at any numbers, I'd say Casey and Graves should be locks...Before I go Graves, I go Franco, especially after the way he exited. Casey is a lock folliowedby Franco, O'Neill, Morris, Sanders, Sulliven, and Graves.

WVRedsFan
08-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Nobody scores off of Danny Graves.Ugh :).

cumberlandreds
08-02-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm surprised Franco isn't already in. He was really good and should be included. I won't be surprised that Casey gets in. He was such a fan favorite, if not just a bit overrated.
Graves will have a hard time getting,IMO, because of "the finger" episode. He was good for a short time but when he was converted to a starter that finished him. The others on the list are kinda blahhhh. I would think there has to be some older players from the 60's on back that had some really good years for the Reds but aren't in?

Sea Ray
08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm surprised Franco isn't already in. He was really good and should be included. I won't be surprised that Casey gets in. He was such a fan favorite, if not just a bit overrated.
Graves will have a hard time getting,IMO, because of "the finger" episode. He was good for a short time but when he was converted to a starter that finished him. The others on the list are kinda blahhhh. I would think there has to be some older players from the 60's on back that had some really good years for the Reds but aren't in?

Graves was failing as a reliever before being switched to the rotation. It was an attempt to save his career.

Chip R
08-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Graves was failing as a reliever before being switched to the rotation. It was an attempt to save his career.

A lot of people don't remember this. He had a modicum of success as a starter and because of that - and the lack of other options - the Reds decided to move him into the rotation full time the next season and it was a disaster.

Casey will make it for sure. Does he deserve it? Probably no more than Sabo or some others but this is for the fans. They are the ones who pay to see the HOF in the museum and they are the ones voting so if/when Casey gets in, so be it.

RichRed
08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Jeff Brantley?

Puleeze

No kidding.