PDA

View Full Version : Unwritten rule of baseball

brm7675
08-01-2011, 06:24 PM
This weekend a Angles player laid down a bunt that broke up no hitter aginst the Tigers. The score at the time was 3-0 Tigers. The Tigers pitcher all but said it was bush league. So exactly when did it become bush league to try and get a hit?

R_Webb18
08-01-2011, 06:41 PM
baseball loves there unwritten rules

Road Pop
08-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Wasn't there an error on that play, and the break-up hit came later?

With two teams going for the playoffs, they should try anything.

wlf WV
08-01-2011, 07:18 PM
baseball loves there unwritten rulesIt's one of the reasons I can still stand to watch a professional sports game.

sdwagers
08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
So exactly when did it become bush league to try and get a hit?

Amen, and Amen ! :thumbup:

Fullboat
08-01-2011, 07:47 PM
If the Unwritten rules were written any where,that would be in the top 5

Road Pop
08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
This weekend a Angles player laid down a bunt that broke up no hitter aginst the Tigers. The score at the time was 3-0 Tigers. The Tigers pitcher all but said it was bush league. So exactly when did it become bush league to try and get a hit?

Not trying to de-rail your thread, but the bunt didn't break it up.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/7/31/2307642/justin-verlander-no-hitter-tigers-news

I do believe teams in a playoff race should try and get on base any chance they get. It's all about winning. :beerme:

Edit: Even if Verlanders throw was on target, and Aybar was out, he still would have called it Bush League. IMHO anyway.

DocRed
08-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Verlander is an idiot...and made himself look like a fool with his interview and onfield antics. The final score was 3-2 Detroit and the only reason it was that close was because Aybar laid down that bunt....please Verlander shut up.

Road Pop
08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Verlander is an idiot...and made himself look like a fool with his interview and onfield antics. The final score was 3-2 Detroit and the only reason it was that close was because Aybar laid down that bunt....please Verlander shut up.

:thumbup: Verlanders 2 errors helped it get that close.

bigredmechanism
08-01-2011, 08:35 PM

What was his on field antics? Weaver was the guy throwing at heads.

brm7675
08-01-2011, 08:40 PM
You have to wonder...did Verlander throw it away on purpose knowing he couldn't get the guy out, and thus preserving his no-no....

bigredmechanism
08-01-2011, 08:41 PM
You have to wonder...did Verlander throw it away on purpose knowing he couldn't get the guy out, and thus preserving his no-no....

If the throw was on line, Aybar was out by 2 steps.

Road Pop
08-01-2011, 08:54 PM
What was his on field antics? Weaver was the guy throwing at heads.

He was in the dugout yelling and pointing, then started pointing to his lower back. Kinda like kiss my butt or I'm gonna hit you in the side next time. Childish either way.

DocRed
08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
He was in the dugout yelling and pointing, then started pointing to his lower back. Kinda like kiss my butt or I'm gonna hit you in the side next time. Childish either way.

This, he basically told Aybar he is going to hit him the next time he faces him.

Road Pop
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM

That was the first thing I thought. But replays showed he would of had him. I think he was freaking out that Aybar actually bunted, and the ball got away.

Fastest guy on the Angels laying down a bunt. Who woulda thunk it?!?

Krawhitham
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
So exactly when did it become bush league to try and get a hit?

It is bush league when

After the other pitcher gets tossed on purpose which causes a 20 minute delay because the new pitcher had as long as he wanted to warm up. then the 1st hitter in the eighth inning of a no hitter tries to bunt for a hit

Stray
08-01-2011, 09:04 PM
He said from a pitchers perspective it was bush league, but that he understands both sides of the argument.

What was bush league was Weaver throwing at that guys head.

bigredmechanism
08-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Thanks, I didn't see that part.

Maybe I'm old school, but I think bunting for a hit in the 8th is bush league, and if I was Verlander I would peg him next time.

DocRed
08-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Maybe I'm old school, but I think bunting for a hit in the 8th is bush league, and if I was Verlander I would peg him next time.

6-0 maybe....3-0 no, not in my opinion. And yes you must be old...j/k lol.:)

Tuff Nut
08-01-2011, 09:29 PM

Well. I'm not that young, and I woulda bunted, being as the game was still to be had. And if Verlander throws at Aybar, he outta be ejected on the spot. God help his first batter, after.

BluegrassRedleg
08-02-2011, 12:49 AM

I couldn't believe how many national sports shows were talking about that today. It was a 3-run game. The Angels are trying to win a freakin' game. That's just unreal. I know Verlander's comments probably came in frustration, but writers ought to know better. They were actually debating it on ESPN.

mikdavrut
08-02-2011, 12:56 AM
If the throw was on line, Aybar was out by 2 steps.

Very well may be, but I STILL say he threw it away on purpose to keep the NH going. His throw just looked too deliberately off to me. But that's just me......

Girevik
08-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Wasn't there an error on that play, and the break-up hit came later?

I haven't seen the play, but the Yahoo article I read said the scorer "generously" called it an error to preserve the no-no.

I agree laying down a bunt to break it up would be bush leage if you were down 6 or 7 runs in the 9th, but as long as you have a real chance to win, then do whatever it takes.

Who Dey Time
08-02-2011, 10:12 AM
It is bush league when

After the other pitcher gets tossed on purpose which causes a 20 minute delay because the new pitcher had as long as he wanted to warm up. then the 1st hitter in the eighth inning of a no hitter tries to bunt for a hit

Whats more bush league.....what Weaver did in getting tossed or what Carlos Guillen did to provoke it? It's one thing if Bonds or Griffey pose a little after a home run but Carlos Guillen (all of 2 home runs in 2011) staring at the pitcher like he is some kind of stud hitter???? I credit Weaver for not plunking the guy. If it were me the next hitter would have a bruise in the middle of his back.

krm1580
08-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Whats more bush league.....what Weaver did in getting tossed or what Carlos Guillen did to provoke it? It's one thing if Bonds or Griffey pose a little after a home run but Carlos Guillen (all of 2 home runs in 2011) staring at the pitcher like he is some kind of stud hitter???? I credit Weaver for not plunking the guy. If it were me the next hitter would have a bruise in the middle of his back.

The whole thing started when Magglio Ordonez hit his HR. It was right down the line and he stayed in the batters box to see if it would go fair or foul. Weaver was mad and thought he was being shown up and chirped at Ordonez when he was rounding the bases.

It should have been over then but Carlos Guillen did not like the way Weaver was yelling Ordonez and decided he would show up Weaver after his home run and everything was off to the races after that.

As far as Verlander goes I think he was pretty hopped up right after the game when he made his comment about bush league. He seemed to back away from it later to some extent. The problem is a lot of these guys have these stupid "unwritten rules" drummed into them coming up through the minors so they don't look at things logically.

As a side note, Verlander is something else. After he gave up the no-no and the score got to withing 3-2, Torri Hunter came up as the go ahead run and after a 7 pitch at bat struck out. Of the 5 fastballs he saw all of them were 100MPH+ including the last pitch he struck out on at 101 on pitch 114.