PDA

View Full Version : Neftali Soto

Blitz Dorsey
08-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Very pleased to see him develop like this. He leads all Reds minor league players with 22 HRs this season ... and he's done it in just 277 at-bats. He's got a robust OPS of .931. All at the age of 22 at the Double-A level.

I expect him to be put on the 40-man roster this offseason and begin the 2012 campaign at Louisville. Long-term, he could be the answer at first base for the Reds if disaster occurs and we don't re-sign Votto.

Supplemental third-round pick in 2007 for those who don't know.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=1B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=519304

dougdirt
08-03-2011, 03:22 AM
I would like to see some better plate discipline out of him, but man, the ball jumps off of his bat in a big way. Can't wait to see him in 8 days.

mth123
08-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Another reason that Alonso could be dealt for something they need without "mortgaging the future."

dougdirt
08-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Another reason that Alonso could be dealt for something they need without "mortgaging the future."

Eh, I wouldn't go that far just yet. Soto doesn't really have all that good of plate discipline right now, so he is far from a sure thing to count on at this point.

Blitz Dorsey
08-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Eh, I wouldn't go that far just yet. Soto doesn't really have all that good of plate discipline right now, so he is far from a sure thing to count on at this point.

Well, Soto certainly isn't a sure thing ... but Alonso isn't either. I just think the point he was trying to make was that the Reds can't really use "We can't trade Alonso because he's our Plan B if we lose Votto" excuse when they also have Soto high in the ranks as a first baseman.

dougdirt
08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Well, Soto certainly isn't a sure thing ... but Alonso isn't either. I just think the point he was trying to make was that the Reds can't really use "We can't trade Alonso because he's our Plan B if we lose Votto" excuse when they also have Soto high in the ranks as a first baseman.

Alonso is much more of a sure thing though. Yes, both still have to prove it, but Yonder has something that tends to project well moving forward (good plate discipline), while Soto has something that tends not to (poor plate discipline).

Blitz Dorsey
08-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Alonso is much more of a sure thing though. Yes, both still have to prove it, but Yonder has something that tends to project well moving forward (good plate discipline), while Soto has something that tends not to (poor plate discipline).

Interesting take. Yonder seems to flail at some pitches, so I didn't realize he was considered a guy with good plate discipline at the professional level. I knew that was his rep coming out of college, but the little I've seen of him he seems like a free-swinger to some extent.

As for Soto, I'll be honest: Haven't seen the kid play. I just follow his stats. Very impressed with putting up 22 HRs in 277 ABs (and a .931 OPS) at the Double-A level though. Especially considering the fact he had to overcome an injury during the season. Give this kid 500 ABs at Louisville next year, play him as much as possible at 1B so he develops defensively too ... and let's see exactly what we've got here.

Blitz Dorsey
08-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Actually, now that I think about it Doug, Yonder has put up a few impressive ABs with the Reds already in his short stint this year. He worked a walk the other night after being down in the count where he fouled off a few good pitches. It's just that he swings so damn hard (which I love) that at times it looks like he doesn't have good plate discipline because he goes flailing. But I see what you're saying and it's easy for me to believe that, overall, Yonder does have good plate discipline.

bubbachunk
08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Interesting take. Yonder seems to flail at some pitches, so I didn't realize he was considered a guy with good plate discipline at the professional level. I knew that was his rep coming out of college, but the little I've seen of him he seems like a free-swinger to some extent.

As for Soto, I'll be honest: Haven't seen the kid play. I just follow his stats. Very impressed with putting up 22 HRs in 277 ABs (and a .931 OPS) at the Double-A level though. Especially considering the fact he had to overcome an injury during the season. Give this kid 500 ABs at Louisville next year, play him as much as possible at 1B so he develops defensively too ... and let's see exactly what we've got here.

May be a stupid question here, but what batter does not flail at some pitches?

partisan
08-03-2011, 01:28 PM
May be a stupid question here, but what batter does not flail at some pitches?

Prince Fielder.

:lol::lol::lol:

OnBaseMachine
08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
It's a shame Soto couldn't stick at third base. With his bat, he could have been an All-Star at 3B.

UKFlounder
08-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Is it fair to compare Soto to Juan Francisco at all?

JKam
08-03-2011, 04:15 PM
It's a shame Soto couldn't stick at third base. With his bat, he could have been an All-Star at 3B.

Didn't Soto start off as a SS? Then he moved to 3B. Then he moved to catcher. Now he's 1B. He pretty much ran the gamut there. All that is left is DH.

partisan
08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Is it fair to compare Soto to Juan Francisco at all?

Slightly better BB/K ratio, but still suffers from the same lack of discipline.

dougdirt
08-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Slightly better BB/K ratio, but still suffers from the same lack of discipline.

Eh, Soto has much better plate discipline than Francisco does, which says a whole lot about Francisco.

Soto has a K/BB this season of 3.73 and his career is 3.63.
Francisco has a K/BB this season of 6.00 and his career is 5.91.

That isn't slightly better, that is incredibly better.

But as for a tools comparison at the plate, I think that game power wise, they are pretty equal. Francisco has Raw power that hardly anyone has, but he can't use it as often because he swings at too many crappy pitches because at times he can hit those pitches for singles. The hit tool probably plays the same as well, though Francisco's hit tool is better on the Raw side, it plays down because he swings at so much crap at times.

Dan
08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Actually, now that I think about it Doug, Yonder has put up a few impressive ABs with the Reds already in his short stint this year. He worked a walk the other night after being down in the count where he fouled off a few good pitches. It's just that he swings so damn hard (which I love) that at times it looks like he doesn't have good plate discipline because he goes flailing. But I see what you're saying and it's easy for me to believe that, overall, Yonder does have good plate discipline.

Discipline is exactly what you're seeing. Discipline doesn't mean walking. It means waiting for what you think is your pitch, and swinging aggressively at it. Won't always hit it, and when you do hit it, it is sometimes going to wind up an out. But you still have to take that hard, aggressive swing every time you get your pitch.

What you can't do is what a player like Juan Fransisco does, which is swing wildly, without having first selected the pitch.

partisan
08-05-2011, 04:36 AM
Eh, Soto has much better plate discipline than Francisco does, which says a whole lot about Francisco.

Soto has a K/BB this season of 3.73 and his career is 3.63.
Francisco has a K/BB this season of 6.00 and his career is 5.91.

That isn't slightly better, that is incredibly better.

But as for a tools comparison at the plate, I think that game power wise, they are pretty equal. Francisco has Raw power that hardly anyone has, but he can't use it as often because he swings at too many crappy pitches because at times he can hit those pitches for singles. The hit tool probably plays the same as well, though Francisco's hit tool is better on the Raw side, it plays down because he swings at so much crap at times.

I stand corrected. I thought I was looking at career numbers when I clearly wasn't.

Baseball
08-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Really interested in Soto's next two years to see where/how he is in the system. Great power.

Blitz Dorsey
08-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Really interested in Soto's next two years to see where/how he is in the system. Great power.

Well, if he's not with the Reds in 2013, I would be very disappointed. I expect him to spend all of 2012 at Louisville (and hopefully get 500 ABs there) and then be called up some point in '13. I see what you're saying though. This year has been a resounding success for him no matter what transpires from this point. But can he build on it next year? Then can he reach the Show in 2013? Gonna be fun to watch.

powersackers
08-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Well, if he's not with the Reds in 2013, I would be very disappointed. I expect him to spend all of 2012 at Louisville (and hopefully get 500 ABs there) and then be called up some point in '13. I see what you're saying though. This year has been a resounding success for him no matter what transpires from this point. But can he build on it next year? Then can he reach the Show in 2013? Gonna be fun to watch.

I think a Sept. call up this year would be a good call. As would be the AFL in the fall. 7 HR is last 10 games. That's really cool.

bubbachunk
08-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I think a Sept. call up this year would be a good call. As would be the AFL in the fall. 7 HR is last 10 games. That's really cool.

There we be no ABs for him baring an injury to Votto or Alonso, even then he would be lucky to get 5 a week. Next year will be his shot at a sept call up if he keeps mashing

TRF
08-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Did anyone pick Soto as their minor league breakout player for redszone for 2011?

Vottomatic
08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Didn't Soto start off as a SS? Then he moved to 3B. Then he moved to catcher. Now he's 1B. He pretty much ran the gamut there. All that is left is DH.

They're going to try him at pitcher next year. :D

muddie
08-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Should be no surprise that Neftali Soto has been selected as the Southern League's Hitter of the Week for August 1-7, 2011.