PDA

View Full Version : Yonder Alonso as 3rd baseman?

Tadasimha
08-04-2011, 10:23 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110803&content_id=22717382&notebook_id=22719406&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

Apparently he's getting some practice there with Rolen going to the DL

Personally, I like this idea. I've never been impressed with Francisco and think he's best used as part of a trade. The Reds need a third baseman for the future and Yonder has shown some good ability with the bat already. He's clearly more comfortable in the infield than outfield as well.

I can see Yonder hitting 4th or 5th while playing regularly at 3rd in 2012 with Frazier as his backup and Cairo coming off the bench to backup Votto at first.

The DARK
08-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Not a fan. Sending a guy from a position where range and arm strength are low priorities to one where they are necessities doesn't scream success to me, especially since Frazier has been performing and playing good defense to complement Cairo's production.

If Alonso is a bad enough left fielder, I simply don't see how transferring him to a more demanding position helps.

DocRed
08-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Not a fan. Sending a guy from a position where range and arm strength are low priorities to one where they are necessities doesn't scream success to me, especially since Frazier has been performing and playing good defense to complement Cairo's production.

If Alonso is a bad enough left fielder, I simply don't see how transferring him to a more demanding position helps.

You never know man, it doesn't hurt to try at this point to improve for next year since we have nothing else to play for.

Vottomatic
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Stupid idea. Guy has no defense whatsoever. Third Base is probably one of the hardest positions to learn.

FireDusty
08-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I hate to say it, but Bautista for Votto is looking better all the time.

DocRed
08-05-2011, 12:57 PM

I just get the feeling that Votto is gonna bolt out of Cincy the very first chance he gets.....

R_Webb18
08-05-2011, 01:09 PM
I just get the feeling that Votto is gonna bolt out of Cincy the very first chance he gets.....

true but i don't trade until final yr unless i get some1 like bautisa. never even thought it would be possible.

wabashfalcon
08-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I want to see Yonder's bat in the Lineup. I don't mind seeing butcherboy plays at third... Encarnacion gave us so much of that during his lovely run.

bounty37h
08-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Stupid idea. Guy has no defense whatsoever. Third Base is probably one of the hardest positions to learn.

He started his career at 3'rd, was moved to first in college-twice. Doesnt state much for how good he was at 3'rd to be moved twice for other players (granted both are MLBers now), but he has experience playing there and said he feels thats his most comfortable position on the field.

wabashfalcon
08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
He's gotta be better than Edwin, right?

gilpdawg
08-05-2011, 09:57 PM
He's gotta be better than Edwin, right?

Not necessarily. Ed's problem was throwing. Yonder's problem is be runs like he has a piano on his back so his range would probably be terrible. You can't teach speed.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Jefferson24
08-05-2011, 10:59 PM
He is trade bait and nothing more and that opportunity has gone. Walt and Dusty are now exposing the fact that he is nothing more that a first baseman and his value is headed the same way as the stock market. Should have packaged him and moved him when they had the chance.

Jefferson24
08-05-2011, 11:03 PM

Sure does. They should have made that happen. I like Votto but I like a winner more. Votto has 2 years left then he is gone so why not make the move. This team is better with Yonder in the line up in a position that doesn't create a liability.

Pete4prez
08-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Alonzo at third can be a good thing, this leaves left field open for Sappelt. Lots of solid bats in the line up.

LeDoux
08-06-2011, 01:05 AM
If Alonso can pull off 3B, more power to him. But I just don't see him being a smaller liability at the hot corner than in LF.

Tadasimha
08-06-2011, 08:35 AM

At third he's got less ground to cover than in left and they said the same thing about Pete Rose's arm strength when Sparky moved him to 3rd. Pete proved to be a pretty decent 3rd baseman if memory serves correctly!

I'm NOT saying that Yonder Alonso is the second coming of Charlie Hustle, but this change brings him back to where the issues of range and arm strength are actually lessened than moving him to the outfield.

malcontent
08-06-2011, 12:06 PM
He's not an OF, that should have been clear from Day One. Just check out those legs.

He barely avoided falling flat on his face after bouncing off the wall on the inside-the-park HR.

He's lucky he didn't tear up his knee with that sliding catch he made in the previous game.

Alonso at 3B would have zero range. Statuesque. Bunts down the line would be automatic hits.

He might be passable at 1B, but I agree that DH is clearly his best position.

Need to trade him to an AL team.

malcontent
08-06-2011, 12:16 PM
nm

Pete4prez
08-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Alonzo solves 3rd base for the next ten years, we need his bat in the line up.

partisan
08-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Alonso at 3B seems far-fetched but would be great if it worked out. Then we could have a September of;

1B - Votto
2B - Phillips
SS - Frazier
3B - Alonso
LF - Sappelt
CF - Stubbs/Heisey
RF - Bruce
C - Mes

That's not a fun lineup to pitch against but how it would look defensively...god knows.

huber14
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
make Votto move to 3rd then Alonso at 1st

Red Rover
08-08-2011, 02:26 PM
The more defensive plays Alonzo is involved in the worse the Reds will be. He is a DH only.

AintlifeGrande
08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Alonso is going to be special.He has that same home run crack of the bat like Rolen has.The sound of a no doubter.

Red Rover
08-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Wish he had Rolen's defensive abilities also.

bshall2105
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Wish he had Rolen's defensive abilities also.

He would probably be one of the top 5 prospects in baseball if he defended like Rolen. I really hope they can find a way to get him in the lineup. Alonso is going to be a terrific player imo

malcontent
08-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Hit .429 and Toothpick takes the bat outta your hands.

He'd sacrifice Babe Ruth if he was on the mound that day.

God I'll be sooooooooo glad when he's gone.

Moron.