PDA

View Full Version : Cozart Injury Update

mattfeet
08-05-2011, 02:33 PM
From John Fay:

"COZART UPDATE: Zack Cozart was going to take regular batting practice today for the first time since hyper-extending his left elbow...

I took soft toss today, he said. It was OK, not great. But I want to take BP and see. Im trying to get used to this brace.

Surgery is often used to repair injuries like Cozarts.

I dont know if I can avoid, he said. Im trying to finish the season. Its feeling better than it was.

Cozart still may face surgery in the offseason."

:(

dougdirt
08-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I have hyper extended my elbow. Did it when I was 16 (now 27). Didn't have surgery, but for a few weeks I didn't do much with that arm. Like Cozart, it was my glove arm. To this day I still think I should have opted for the surgery at some point. When I lock my elbow out, the strength isn't there and the idea of actually placing weight on my arm when my elbow is locked out is simply out of the question.

mattfeet
08-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Cowboy just said on the radio, if Cozart is destined to be our SS of the future, why not:

1) Put him on 60-day DL, and do surgery now if it's unavoidable
2) Keep SS position as it currently is with Renteria/Janish

Meanwhile, with Heisey now hurt indefinitely (strained oblique), why not:

1) Put Heisey on 15-day DL
2) Call up Juan Francisco to play 3rd
3) Put Todd Frazier in mix at LF

Thoughts? He said something about bringing Sappelt up to play LF, but I can't remember which scenario it was under.

-Matt

reds44
08-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Why don't you just play Alonso in LF and Frazier at 3rd base?

mattfeet
08-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Why don't you just play Alonso in LF and Frazier at 3rd base?

Well if Heisey is down as well, that really limits our options to two LH hitters in LF (Alonso, Lewis). Frazier can provide a nice RH hitting option in LF, while giving Francisco an opportunity at 3rd. :beerme:

reds44
08-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Francisco is left handed too lol.

Just play Alonso everyday in LF. He's the best hitter of the bunch.

Mario-Rijo
08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Well if Heisey is down as well, that really limits our options to two LH hitters in LF (Alonso, Lewis). Frazier can provide a nice RH hitting option in LF, while giving Francisco an opportunity at 3rd. :beerme:

Isn't Francisco injured? I thought he tore his meniscus or something. Time Sappelt gets his chance anyhow.

_Sir_Charles_
08-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Cowboy just said on the radio, if Cozart is destined to be our SS of the future, why not:

1) Put him on 60-day DL, and do surgery now if it's unavoidable
2) Keep SS position as it currently is with Renteria/Janish

Meanwhile, with Heisey now hurt indefinitely (strained oblique), why not:

1) Put Heisey on 15-day DL
2) Call up Juan Francisco to play 3rd
3) Put Todd Frazier in mix at LF

Thoughts? He said something about bringing Sappelt up to play LF, but I can't remember which scenario it was under.

-Matt

Wait...when did Heisey get hurt?!?

mattfeet
08-05-2011, 03:54 PM
I forgot Francisco was LH as well. D'oh!

-Matt

mattfeet
08-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Francisco is expected to be recalled to Louisville from his rehab any day now.

Heisey got hurt during BP on Wednesday. Strained oblique. JOhn Fay/Cowboy are saying he should be put on 15-day DL since that's such a nagging injury.

-Matt

_Sir_Charles_
08-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Isn't Francisco injured? I thought he tore his meniscus or something. Time Sappelt gets his chance anyhow.

He's been rehabbing for the past week or so. He'll probably be coming up to L'ville this week I'd think.

_Sir_Charles_
08-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Francisco is expected to be recalled to Louisville from his rehab any day now.

Heisey got hurt during BP on Wednesday. Strained oblique. JOhn Fay/Cowboy are saying he should be put on 15-day DL since that's such a nagging injury.

-Matt

Thanks Matt. I'd missed that.

dougdirt
08-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Why are we platooning Alonso? He hit lefties better this past season in Louisville than he did righties.

mattfeet
08-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Just stating what I heard, not necessarily what I agree with.

-Matt

RedLegSuperStar
08-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Wow.. i didn't think it was that bad. Yikes.. I guess we are stuck with Renteria and Janish for the rest of the season. I hope he elects to do surgery now and be ready to go by '12 spring training.

Would like to see a Francisco call up and play 3rd aswell as I would like to see Frazier and Alonso platoon in LF. Season is lost and we need to really think about what we have inhouse before we wget our hopes up this offseason.

dougdirt
08-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow.. i didn't think it was that bad. Yikes.. I guess we are stuck with Renteria and Janish for the rest of the season. I hope he elects to do surgery now and be ready to go by '12 spring training.

Would like to see a Francisco call up and play 3rd aswell as I would like to see Frazier and Alonso platoon in LF. Season is lost and we need to really think about what we have inhouse before we wget our hopes up this offseason.

He would be ready to go by ST if he came back today and played, then had the surgery in October/November.

Larkin Fan
08-06-2011, 01:36 AM
He would be ready to go by ST if he came back today and played, then had the surgery in October/November.

Why risk doing more damage? Surgery isn't a 100% guaranteed cure-all, so risking further damage isn't wise. If he needs surgery, I'd rather they shut him down now and do the surgery without running the risk of anything happening that may worsen and/or complicate the injury.

dougdirt
08-06-2011, 02:28 AM
Why risk doing more damage? Surgery isn't a 100% guaranteed cure-all, so risking further damage isn't wise. If he needs surgery, I'd rather they shut him down now and do the surgery without running the risk of anything happening that may worsen and/or complicate the injury.

He would be playing with a brace on his arm that would prevent his elbow from going backwards again, so the risk is incredibly minimal.

Larkin Fan
08-06-2011, 02:51 AM
He would be playing with a brace on his arm that would prevent his elbow from going backwards again, so the risk is incredibly minimal.

Hyperextending the elbow again isn't what I'm concerned about. If there is a problem that is likely going to require surgery, normal range of motion can aggravate or worsen that problem. The brace isn't going to prevent against that.

Reds Fanatic
08-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Another update on Cozart from John Fay:

COZART UPDATE: Baker said Zack Cozart had to shut it down while taking batting practice yesterday. Cozart is on the disabled list with a hyper-extended left elbow. He’s trying to avoid surgery until after the season.

They should just go ahead and get the surgery done now. No reason to keep trying to play this year when surgery is going to be needed.

Also Heisey's oblique is still sore today. There may be a DL move upcoming for Heisey as well.