PDA

View Full Version : Sappelt called up?

goreds18
08-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Fay tweeted about 15 minutes ago:

Sapelt's brother (or someone say he's his brother) Tweeted that Sappelt has been called up. #reds

Waiting for it to get confirmed but we'll see if he's in the Bats lineup tonight.

Chris Sabowned
08-06-2011, 02:52 PM
I figured they'd call up Francisco if Heisey goes on the DL, but I'm excited to see Sappelt if its true.

Vottomatic
08-06-2011, 03:56 PM
They are hinting at a roster move, but I don't think Sappelt is on the 40 man, is he?

R_Webb18
08-06-2011, 04:02 PM
They are hinting at a roster move, but I don't think Sappelt is on the 40 man, is he?

nope

Krawhitham
08-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Currently at 38

CrosleyField
08-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Not according to the Reds website.

R_Webb18
08-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Not according to the Reds website.

u can replace the 60 dl ppl but i think there close to coming off.

mroby85
08-06-2011, 05:01 PM
u can replace the 60 dl ppl but i think there close to coming off.

Fay has said that he will be called up and Heisey will be placed on the DL by tomorrows game.

johnfaymanJohn Fay

Sappelt will be called up from Louisville in time for tomorrow's game. Heisey will be DL'd with that oblique. #reds

powersackers
08-06-2011, 06:46 PM
17 for his last 41 is a nice clip. I haven't seen Sappelt since he was a Dragon and he wasn't much of a prospect then so I paid very little attention to him. It Looks like his power numbers are down, maybe the injury? What type of big league hitter might he become? Any current hitters he reminds you of?

CrosleyField
08-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Hopefully he can get a chance to play a little and even lead off.

mr. red
08-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I wonder what his role will be. I would imagine that he would see time in LF and CF..?

Cozart should be back soon too... I would like to see Sap get a chance and maybe Crusty could roll out...

Sappelt CF
Cozart SS
Votto 1B
Alonso LF
Phillips 2B
Bruce RF
Mesa--I mean...Hernandez C
Frazier 3B

big boy
08-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Linky (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110806/SPT04/308060044/Reds-put-Heisey-DL-promote-Sappelt)

Vottomatic
08-07-2011, 09:36 AM
If Sappelt doesn't lead off, then Dusty will have solidified himself as an idiot.

jwmann2
08-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Got called up primarily because of his performance during spring training. That's the way the Cowboy made it sound.

malcontent
08-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Got called up primarily because of his performance during spring training. That's the way the Cowboy made it sound.
Brantley is such a tool.

Vottomatic
08-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Brantley is such a tool.

I could listen to Brantley all day. Very knowledgeable without tooting his own horn. Lighthearted when he needs to be. Critical at other times without going overboard.

He does a very good job.

64red
08-07-2011, 08:13 PM
We saw Sappelt on a rainy night in Louisville earlier this year. He was clearly the most major league ready on the team that night. I think the Reds need as many of these enthusiastic young players as they can get right now.

Vottomatic
08-07-2011, 08:15 PM
He hit the ball hard all night but only got 1 hit to show for it. But showed how important clogging the bases is. :)

kfm
08-07-2011, 08:17 PM
I could listen to Brantley all day. Very knowledgeable without tooting his own horn. Lighthearted when he needs to be. Critical at other times without going overboard.

He does a very good job.

I actually like Brantley. He has gotten better every year, and far more aware of stats now, then during his infamous not clutch comments about ee. When he is critical, he picks legitimate things to criticize the manager, the GM and the players over. Love his understanding and knowledge of pitching. Seems like a guy who has the tools to be a good coach or manager if he wanted to be.

Jr's Boy
08-07-2011, 11:48 PM
I really like Cowboy as well.

Eric the Red
08-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Looking over the box score from today's game on espn.com, I noticed it had the total number of pitches seen by Dave Sappelt, batting leadoff with four at-bats as 5 total pitches! By comparison, Yonder Alonso, saw 5 pitches in his pinch hit plate appearance that resulted in a walk. Is Sappelt's number of pitches seen correct? If so, how is it possible for a guy, hitting first in the order to only see 5 pitches in 4 at-bats. That is unbelievable.

To be fair, I looked up the # of pitches seen from his start on Tue and Wed night and noticed that he saw a total of 17 pitches in 4 at-bats Wed night (which was second most on the team to Votto's 20) and 15 pitches in 5 at-bats Tue night.

Obviously, the leadoff position has been a nightmare for the Reds all season and my view of Sappelt thus far, albeit a short time span, hasn't made feel we have our leadoff hitter of the future.

kfm
08-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Looking over the box score from today's game on espn.com, I noticed it had the total number of pitches seen by Dave Sappelt, batting leadoff with four at-bats as 5 total pitches! By comparison, Yonder Alonso, saw 5 pitches in his pinch hit plate appearance that resulted in a walk. Is Sappelt's number of pitches seen correct? If so, how is it possible for a guy, hitting first in the order to only see 5 pitches in 4 at-bats. That is unbelievable.

To be fair, I looked up the # of pitches seen from his start on Tue and Wed night and noticed that he saw a total of 17 pitches in 4 at-bats Wed night (which was second most on the team to Votto's 20) and 15 pitches in 5 at-bats Tue night.

Obviously, the leadoff position has been a nightmare for the Reds all season and my view of Sappelt thus far, albeit a short time span, hasn't made feel we have our leadoff hitter of the future.

Give it some time. This guy can flat out hit. He has hit a number of balls hard that have not fallen in including a gapper today that was run down. It's been what, four games. Patience, patience, patience.

Eric the Red
08-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Granted, I'm jumping to conclusions far too early but it is certainly alarming to me when the leadoff hitter only sees 5 total pitches in 4 at-bats. Coupled with the fact that he only had 4 stolen bases (with 4 caught stealing) for Louisville this year in 74 games concerns me a bit as well. Hopefully my concerns are overblown and he is our leadoff hitter for next couple of years. I'm just skeptical.

Vottomatic
08-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm willing to give him a try for awhile. And 4 games tell us nothing.

Eric the Red
08-13-2011, 04:40 PM
@jluckhauptJoel Luckhaupt

Over his last 6 plate appearances, Sappelt has seen 7 total pitches. #Reds

I'm willing to give him a chance as well, but I really question this approach.

izzy's dad
08-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Let him get settled in. He won't set the world on fire, but he will hit. Don't expect him to steal many bases though.

Eric the Red
08-13-2011, 04:55 PM
If Sappelt hits at a .280 (which I feel he is more than capable) clip but only has an on base % of .315, he isn't being as productive out of the leadoff spot as the Reds need him to be. He has to start taking more pitches and drawing some walks if he is going to be the leadoff hitter for the 2012 Reds.

Vottomatic
08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
If Sappelt hits at a .280 (which I feel he is more than capable) clip but only has an on base % of .315, he isn't being as productive out of the leadoff spot as the Reds need him to be. He has to start taking more pitches and drawing some walks if he is going to be the leadoff hitter for the 2012 Reds.

As Darius Rucker sings........This.