PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 8/7

chicoruiz
08-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Reds:

Edgar Renteria (35)

Danny Graves (38) - Generated a lot of buzz on these boards in his day.

Rocky Bridges (84) - Veteran utility man seldom seen without an enormous chaw of tobacco.

Bill McKechnie- Very few are both good managers and nice guys. Deacon Bill pulled it off.

Others:

Mike Trout (20) -the Angel uberprospect is no longer a teenager.

Steve Kemp (57)

Don Larsen- (82)

chicoruiz
08-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Thought I'd take the opportunity to mention a few of the great Rocky Bridges quotes:

After losing a pre-game milking contest on Farmers Night: "I didn't try too hard- I was afraid I'd get emotionally involved with the cow".

"I'm on a new diet- Scotch and Metrical. So far I've lost ten pounds and my driver's license."

As a manager: "We may lose again tomorrow, but not with these same guys."

"I try to give my players a little humor. When they relax, they play better, and when they play better, I relax."

And when offered snails at a restaurant: "No thanks, I prefer fast food."

Also, Don Larsen was once asked if he ever got tired of talking about his perfect game. His answer: "No--why should i?"

Bob Borkowski
08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Another Rocky Bridges quote: "It's a good thing I stayed in Cincinnati for four years -- it took me that long to learn how to spell it."

Also, try as I might to think of more upbeat times, whenever I think of Danny Graves I think of the 'booing makes me feel small' quote. A brutal period for him - and for Reds fans.

Edskin
08-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Danny Graves probably should have been a starter from the get-go. His stuff was probably somewhere on the Bronson Arroyo level and had he been dialed in as a starter his entire career, he would have been more likely to develop into a "crafty" 4th starter type.

As a closer, it was really simple. When his sinker sank, he was close to unhittable. When it didn't.....launching pad. That is simply too risky a proposition if you want to hold down the closer role.