PDA

View Full Version : Youkilis ponders playing for Reds

Mainspark
08-08-2011, 03:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/6839794/red-sox-third-baseman-kevin-youkilis-reflects-ups-downs-boston

kaldaniels
08-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I would love the story of it, but I can't see it being the best move for the Reds to make.

LvJ
08-08-2011, 03:37 PM
"If I were to go anywhere, I would want to go to Cincinnati and play in front of my parents at home," Youkilis said. "I think it would be really cool for my dad and my mom, but especially for my dad, growing up in Cincinnati, that would be a real cool thing."

Do it.

OnBaseMachine
08-08-2011, 03:39 PM
As a huge fan of Youkilis, I would love to see him at 3B for the Reds in 2013. I actually think there's a pretty good chance of it happening too since he would probably take a hometown discount.

kaldaniels
08-08-2011, 03:40 PM
As a huge fan of Youkilis, I would love to see him at 3B for the Reds in 2013. I actually think there's a pretty good chance of it happening too since he would probably take a hometown discount.

A 34 year old Youk making 6-7 million, or Todd Frazier (or someone similar) making 600,000?

traderumor
08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
What, are we going to be the last paycheck stop for guys past their prime looking for one last hurrah? The Bengals haven't done real well with that technique. No thanks. Cleveland isn't that far a drive and he could stay in the AL.

lollipopcurve
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Let's see how he does in 2012, and even then Boston may hold onto him for $13MM in 2013. Got to plan as if he's not an option. Nice to see that he'd like to come home, though. If he can still play and becomes an option, the Reds would have to push for him. He'd be massively popular, I think.

Tom Servo
08-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Do it.
:thumbup:

bucksfan2
08-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Is Youk even a 3b? That is not only my biggest question now but also 2+ years down the road.

Patrick Bateman
08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
A 34 year old Youk making 6-7 million, or Todd Frazier (or someone similar) making 600,000?

For that amount? Take Youkilis and trade people to find room room for him.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Make it happen!

The Voice of IH
08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Lets just wait to see how Fraizer does next year, he can either be really good and we don't need Youk, or he can be (below) average and Youk could be a good option with a hometown discount.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Lets just wait to see how Fraizer does next year, he can either be really good and we don't need Youk, or he can be (below) average and Youk could be a good option with a hometown discount.

Unfortunately, Frazier won't be playing 3B next year. Scott Rolen will be - at least when he's "healthy." I have a feeling that position next year is going to be every bit the disappointment that it has been this year.

It's time for Walt to make some tough decisions to move this team forward, and 3B is certainly one of them. Enough of this current wheel-spinning.

RichRed
08-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I'd love to see Buddy Bell/Scott Rolen/Kevin Youkilis in a Reds uniform. It's always just a couple years too late though, isn't it?

edabbs44
08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Is Youk even a 3b? That is not only my biggest question now but also 2+ years down the road.

I don't think that he is a legit 3B at this stage. And we are talking about him 2-3 years from now.

Though he could replace Joey at first.

Benihana
08-08-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't think that he is a legit 3B at this stage. And we are talking about him 2-3 years from now.

Though he could replace Joey at first.

True. All the more reason to trade Alonso. Frazier could play LF. Soto could play 1B. Youkilis could play 1B. Hell, Votto could re-sign and play 1B. Stop keeping the guy as a contingency plan. If he can't play LF, you have GOT to trade him to get value!!

Also, it's a good thing this team didn't trade Hernandez. :thumbdown:

FWIW, I think there is a good chance of Youk finishing his career in Cincinnati. If he leaves Boston, it will likely only be for home.

RedsManRick
08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
His D at 3B isn't much to write home about and I imagine it's going to continue to slip over the next few years. That said, he'd be a great addition batting 2nd ahead of Joey.

corkedbat
08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Send Bronson back to Boston and let him play third for the Reds now. :D

Jpup
08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
If the Reds are interested, they should trade for him this winter. He would be a great addition for 2 or 3 years.

nate
08-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Send Bronson back to Boston and let him play third for the Reds now. :D

I love this plan. High five!

Ron Madden
08-09-2011, 04:24 AM
I'll probably be tared and feathered for this opinion but I'd much rather pay Youkilis for his production over the next few years than what we will have to pay Rolen for his production.

I'll duck and cover now.

08-09-2011, 04:30 AM
I'll probably be tared and feathered for this opinion but I'd much rather pay Youkilis for his production over the next few years than what we will have to pay Rolen for his production.

I'll duck and cover now.

No need to duck from me. I would trade Rolen for Youk in a heartbeat. I can't imagine a rational argument against it.

GAC
08-09-2011, 06:17 AM
than what we will have to pay Rolen for his production.

What production? :laugh:

We talk about how our farm system has greatly improved over what it use to be; but it seems all our high-level prospects are at other positions other then INF. Other then possibly Cozart (SS... keep fingers crossed there too) it's still a void. That's kinda sad.

I've listened to past discussions on Votto, and that the reasoning (rumors) as to why he wouldn't sign a long term deal with the Reds is that he is most likely gonna bolt in a couple of years. If that is true, it's most likely inevitable, then this organization needs to seriously look at shopping him to fill those needs in other areas BEFORE that time arrives.

It makes room for Alonso at 1B (where he belongs), and we have the rights to him for several years.

3B is still a huge issue. Francisco is a question mark. I personally don't think he'll pan out. Todd Frazier - what is his true position? In 2009/10 his primary position was LF. This year he has gotten a majority of his playing time at 3B.

I say give Frazier his shot at 3B. Lets find out the remainder of the season to see what he's got. Let one of the best (Rolen) "disciple" the kid some too. What have we got to lose?

And the same goes with Sappelt and Heisy in LF.

I understand that Dusty wants to win games, and that maybe, in the back of his mind, he's trying to "save face" during a disappointing season and make the best of it as a manager would. But unless he suddenly decides to retire (highly doubtful), he's going to be back next season. This is Cincinnati folks. And as much as he has frustrated me this season I'm not calling for him to be fired either. But this FO, if they are serious about seeing what we've got with some of our prospects, needs to sit Dusty down and tell him they want these kids to get regular playing time strictly for evaluation.

And if Dusty disagrees, or stands in the way of that logic, then IMO that confirms some of the accusations leveled at him when it comes to younger players and where his preferences lie. And IMO he would then have to go.

cumberlandreds
08-09-2011, 08:44 AM

I'll duck and cover now.

You don't have to duck from me. Rolen's best days are way behind him. I thought last winter the Reds needed to find someone that could play the majority of games at 3B. You could tell Rolen was really wearing down by the end of 2010 and what has happened to him 2011 doesn't surprise me a bit. I really doubt though the Reds could pick up Youklis before his contract is out. I suspect in 2012 we will some combination of Rolen/Frazier/Francisco at 3rd base. Maybe even Alonso. :confused:

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-09-2011, 01:19 PM

I'll duck and cover now.

No need to duck and cover. I'll stand up and applaud.

This team has absolutely got to figure out a way to avoid this 3B mess next year. Just assuming that this latest surgery will right all Scott Rolen's ills would be a big mistake.

If they really want Kevin Youkilis, go get him now. Don't wait til he's just another version of Scott Rolen in a couple of years.

Roy Tucker
08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I'd love to see Buddy Bell/Scott Rolen/Kevin Youkilis in a Reds uniform. It's always just a couple years too late though, isn't it?

:thumbup:

Add Bill Doran and Cesar Cedeno and I'm sure a whole lot of other players where the Reds wish for what once was and fail to see what now is.

But to be fair, the Reds did get a couple of pretty good years out of Bell and a good 1/2 year out of Rolen.

lollipopcurve
09-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Bumping this because Youkilis is getting roasted in the Boston media now that the Red Sox season has ended. Among the criticisms:

• He drank too much beer.

• He continued to criticize Jacoby Ellsbury for injury-marred 2010, even while Ellsbury was having an MYP-quality 2011.

He's being called a locker room cancer. Boston media is tough, and scapegoating is par for the course when it comes to explaining a collapse like the Red Sox had, but it's notable in this case because Youk had been a guy the press and the fans liked.

Sounds to me like the guy may have some issues. He'd be a wonderful RH bat, if healthy and in the right state of mind, to fit into the middle of the Reds order, but what these reports tell me is that there are some significant question marks about Youk right now.

blumj
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Where'd you get that from?

corkedbat
09-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Where'd you get that from?

Can he still play a decent 3B? I'd love it if the talent cost isn't too steep.

blumj
09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Can he still play a decent 3B? I'd love it if the talent cost isn't too steep.
He wasn't that good at 3B, not terrible, but he also may not physically be able to handle it. He needs surgery for a sports hernia.

Benihana
10-02-2011, 10:01 PM
I think there is a good chance he's traded this offseason. He makes $12MM in 2012 with a team option for 2013. Question is if you're Walt, do you trade for him now or wait and try to lure him home as a FA in 13 or 14?

I actually think trading for him and signing him to a team friendly extension so he can retire here is a very Walt-like move. Question is, what would you offer for him?

Would Grandal straight up be enough? Too much? Add Francisco or Frazier? I wouldn't trade Alonso for him (assuming they let Papi go)- I'd rather use Alonso as bait for a pitcher. Perhaps they'd have interest in Volquez given their rotation struggles?

Youk at 3B and moving to 1B if/once Votto leaves sounds like a move that makes sense. Let's just hope Walt doesn't overpay and Youk becomes the second coming of Buddy Bell...or Scott Rolen.

lollipopcurve
10-03-2011, 08:13 AM
You wait on Youkilis unless you can trade contracts (i.e., Arroyo). Youk had injuries all year -- including a bad hip -- so you absolutely do not trade top prospects for him until you can be sure he's still a legit middle of the order presence. The fact that he's already said he'd like to end up playing in Cincy gives the team a legitimate chance to acquire him as a free agent after 2012 anyway.

Scrap Irony
10-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I think there is a good chance he's traded this offseason. He makes $12MM in 2012 with a team option for 2013. Question is if you're Walt, do you trade for him now or wait and try to lure him home as a FA in 13 or 14?

I actually think trading for him and signing him to a team friendly extension so he can retire here is a very Walt-like move. Question is, what would you offer for him?

Would Grandal straight up be enough? Too much? Add Francisco or Frazier? I wouldn't trade Alonso for him (assuming they let Papi go)- I'd rather use Alonso as bait for a pitcher. Perhaps they'd have interest in Volquez given their rotation struggles?

Youk at 3B and moving to 1B if/once Votto leaves sounds like a move that makes sense. Let's just hope Walt doesn't overpay and Youk becomes the second coming of Buddy Bell...or Scott Rolen.

How about a monster, blockbuster deal?

Reds deal Bailey, Arroyo, Stubbs, Francisco/ Frazier, Massett, and Bruce

while

Boston deals Youkilis, middle infielder Jed Lowrie, pitching prospect Alex Wilson, pitching prospect Kyle Weiland, and Clay Bucholz?

Boston grabs a young masher to stick in RF for the next decade or so, a true CF that allows for four guys to play the OF spots and DH (thereby keeping costs relatively low, as they need not pay for that monster DH bat). Arroyo and Bailey are gambles but at least add league average-ish innings better than Boston had last season. (Both Bailey and Arroyo would have been solidly in the Red Sox rotation last season, according to numbers.) Massett becomes a middle reliever with the Sawks-- great arm, questionable head. Perhaps he rediscovers his 2010 mojo. Boston also has their choice of Francisco/ Frazier to play 3B, should they strike out on the free agent market.

Cincinnati, meanwhile, grabs a cleanup bat who can play the hot corner. This allows Alonso to hit fifth and balances out the batting order. (Both Sappelt and Heisey play everyday, though a free agent bat may make sense.) It also provides a TOR pitcher the Reds need to front a suddenly interesting rotation of Bucholz, Cueto, Leake, Chapman and the winner of the Volquez/ Wood battle for fifth starter. Lowrie and the prospects provide depth at this point, with the chance to start this season. Weiland found something this season but blew it in Boston (so he's definitely available for a song). Wilson has really nice numbers and very good scouting reports. Both would be stashed in AAA as depth the Reds sorely need.

Phillips 2B
Sappelt CF
Votto 1B
Youkilis 3B
Alonso LF
Heisey RF
Mesoraco/ Hanigan C
Cozart/ Lowrie SS

Rotation/ Depth
Bucholz
Cueto
Leake
Chapman
Volquez
Wood
Wilson
Weiland

The bullpen needs serious work still, but that's a better team, IMO, than what took the field in 2011. And it's a deal that makes sense for both teams. It's a huge gamble for both teams, but it's the type of deal Jocketty may be looking at.

Phillips SS

mth123
10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
How about a monster, blockbuster deal?

Reds deal Bailey, Arroyo, Stubbs, Francisco/ Frazier, Massett, and Bruce

while

Boston deals Youkilis, middle infielder Jed Lowrie, pitching prospect Alex Wilson, pitching prospect Kyle Weiland, and Clay Bucholz?

Boston grabs a young masher to stick in RF for the next decade or so, a true CF that allows for four guys to play the OF spots and DH (thereby keeping costs relatively low, as they need not pay for that monster DH bat). Arroyo and Bailey are gambles but at least add league average-ish innings better than Boston had last season. (Both Bailey and Arroyo would have been solidly in the Red Sox rotation last season, according to numbers.) Massett becomes a middle reliever with the Sawks-- great arm, questionable head. Perhaps he rediscovers his 2010 mojo. Boston also has their choice of Francisco/ Frazier to play 3B, should they strike out on the free agent market.

Cincinnati, meanwhile, grabs a cleanup bat who can play the hot corner. This allows Alonso to hit fifth and balances out the batting order. (Both Sappelt and Heisey play everyday, though a free agent bat may make sense.) It also provides a TOR pitcher the Reds need to front a suddenly interesting rotation of Bucholz, Cueto, Leake, Chapman and the winner of the Volquez/ Wood battle for fifth starter. Lowrie and the prospects provide depth at this point, with the chance to start this season. Weiland found something this season but blew it in Boston (so he's definitely available for a song). Wilson has really nice numbers and very good scouting reports. Both would be stashed in AAA as depth the Reds sorely need.

Phillips 2B
Sappelt CF
Votto 1B
Youkilis 3B
Alonso LF
Heisey RF
Mesoraco/ Hanigan C
Cozart/ Lowrie SS

Rotation/ Depth
Bucholz
Cueto
Leake
Chapman
Volquez
Wood
Wilson
Weiland

The bullpen needs serious work still, but that's a better team, IMO, than what took the field in 2011. And it's a deal that makes sense for both teams. It's a huge gamble for both teams, but it's the type of deal Jocketty may be looking at.

Phillips SS

Huge overpay for Buchholz coming off an injury (a stress fracture in his back is a scary repetitive use thing that could recur), one year of Youkilis and a bunch of interchangeable parts. I don't think I'd deal Bruce alone for all of that. You also end up with 3 first basemen on the field at one time trying to play some semblence of defense. About the only plus here is getting out from under Arroyo, but by dealing Bailey with him you are right back to multiple question marks in the rotation. I like Lowrie a little and would be ok with dealing Stubbs for him and one of the lesser pitchers in your deal, but I don't see why Boston would want him.

PuffyPig
10-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Let's just hope Walt doesn't overpay and Youk becomes the second coming of Buddy Bell...or Scott Rolen.

Buddy Bell?

He gave us 2 years of .800 OPS with great defense at third.

Benihana
10-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Buddy Bell?

He gave us 2 years of .800 OPS with great defense at third.

And a much higher OPS would be expected of Youk, especially at that price.

IslandRed
10-04-2011, 10:17 AM
You wait on Youkilis unless you can trade contracts (i.e., Arroyo). Youk had injuries all year -- including a bad hip -- so you absolutely do not trade top prospects for him until you can be sure he's still a legit middle of the order presence. The fact that he's already said he'd like to end up playing in Cincy gives the team a legitimate chance to acquire him as a free agent after 2012 anyway.

And besides, we already have an injury-riddled, wrong-side-of-thirty third baseman with one year left on his contract. I would expect Youk to be an upgrade over Rolen + caddy next year, but not 12 million dollars plus a top prospect's worth of upgrade. Since we can't stash one of them at DH on a daily basis, I don't see it happening unless Rolen hangs 'em up. And even then, we'd have to ask if that's the best place to spend $12 million. It's not like we have multiple big-money slots available.

Dom Heffner
10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
If you like a guy that plays 140 games a year, you will love Kevin Youkilis. Pass.

Scrap Irony
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
With Rolen as his caddy, it makes perfect sense.

Youkilis plays DH against AL teams, 1B against really tough southpaws (to give Votto a blow or ten), and takes his own customary 15 games off or so a season.

That should give Rolen 45-50 games at 3B. Add in pinch hitting duties and the Reds are a better team with Youkilis than without.

Always Red
10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I'd jump at a chance for the young, surprising, cheap Youk.

I don't want the Reds overpaying for the older, declining Youk. And his body type is not going to age well.

Love seeing him at UC events though!

Mario-Rijo
10-04-2011, 12:59 PM

This is exactly why I do such a deal. Arroyo and Francisco? Take the shot and offset some of Youks dollars in the process. Of course that would mean the Sox would have to have interest in Arroyo. Maybe between he and Rolen we might end up with a complete 3B.