PDA

View Full Version : Votto = Selfish

mrherd05
08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
You guys asked why I think he is selfish...

Here is an example..

The Reds have not approached Joey Votto about the other way of getting Yonder Alonso in the lineup — moving Votto to left field. He played six games there as a rookie. Does he think could be a good a left fielder?

“I think I’m a pretty good first baseman,” Votto said. “And I think one the best attributes as a team is infield defense. We have four very good — and obviously as second and third — great defenders.”

That answers that.

redsfan1995
08-08-2011, 09:02 PM
are you serious what is the problem for saying that. he has worked very hard to learn how to play better first base and hes the reds best player do you want to move him to left field and maybe not want to resign with the reds because he was forced to move for an unproven rookie defensively.

mckbearcat48
08-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Really depends on who asks the question. If Dusty asked Votto to play LF because it would help his team win, I think he does it. Pujols has done that a couple times for STL, and Votto is that kind of player.

Cincy10
08-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Here is an example..

The Reds have not approached Joey Votto about the other way of getting Yonder Alonso in the lineup — moving Votto to left field. He played six games there as a rookie. Does he think could be a good a left fielder?

“I think I’m a pretty good first baseman,” Votto said. “And I think one the best attributes as a team is infield defense. We have four very good — and obviously as second and third — great defenders.”

That answers that.

And this makes him selfish how?..........

bigredmechanism
08-08-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't really think it's a matter of if they should ask him to do it.

If it makes the team better, Baker should just pencil him in at left. He won't commit to a LTC, so why coddle him? If he is pouty about it and doesn't play well, he'll be hurting his own future contract offers.

It might seem crass, but this is a business.

Edit: Unless Baker/Jocketty asked him to do it and he said no, I don't see why he is selfish.

mrherd05
08-08-2011, 09:28 PM
He should man up and at least fake it by saying, "I will do whatever this team wants me to do in order to help us win, if playing left field, or pitching in relief helps, then so be it." Not, "well, i think im a pretty good first baseman" That is irrelevant....he is a better left fielder than Alonso is, Alonso needs to be in the lineup. Period.

R_Webb18
08-08-2011, 09:36 PM
yea ur mvp 1st basemen is selfish b/c he won't go to lf(where he never plays) to let a rookie play.

mrherd05
08-08-2011, 09:40 PM
He wasnt an MVP because of his ability to play first base.

R_Webb18
08-08-2011, 09:41 PM

not the point

mrherd05
08-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Yes it is the point.

Does he want to win?

Do you think we are a better team with Alonso AND Votto in the lineup at the same time?

Well, there is only one way to make that happen, and Votto has never thrown the idea out there, at least publically.

SidneySlicker
08-08-2011, 09:49 PM

You're right because league mvp is an offensive award. Joey Votto is a first baseman not a left fielder and wouldn't ever be asked to move positions like that, so wheather or not he would or wouldn't is a moot point.

wabashfalcon
08-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Votto stayed an extra year and a half in the minors to work on his glove. He has worked at 1st base day-in-and-day-out this season. If Dusty were to approach Votto about it, it would be during Spring Training so Joey could work on the corner outfield spot. Instead, he believes he will be better working where he has been the past few seasons.

Vottomatic
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Is this a serious question?

Alonso has practiced far more in LF than Votto ever has. Why do you think Votto can play LF? Word on the street is that he's not very good at it either.

R_Webb18
08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
why not just do
votto=catcher
ms=lf
alonzo=1st

why not why not lol

ervinsm84
08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
title of thread is just lol

/thread

mrherd05
08-08-2011, 10:03 PM
The guy is leaving us high and dry within two seasons, so enjoy the selfishness while you can.

Me, personally I hope we get something out of his over emotional butt this offseason.

R_Webb18
08-08-2011, 10:06 PM
The guy is leaving us high and dry within two seasons, so enjoy the selfishness while you can.

Me, personally I hope we get something out of his over emotional butt this offseason.

lol who cares if he leaves. do i want him to stay? yes but im not gonna cry if he does. def not 2 yrs in advance.

mrherd05
08-08-2011, 10:14 PM
The dude is a selfish baseball player, period.

I hope he is gone before we break spring training next season, i have seen enough.

70 RBI's from our third hitter, our returning MVP, come on Joey, drive the ball stop dinking little singles over the shortstops head with a runner on.

I dont mind to see that with two strikes, but coming up and doing that with no strikes is a waste.

ervinsm84
08-08-2011, 10:22 PM

I hope he is gone before we break spring training next season, i have seen enough.

70 RBI's from our third hitter, our returning MVP, come on Joey, drive the ball stop dinking little singles over the shortstops head with a runner on.

I dont mind to see that with two strikes, but coming up and doing that with no strikes is a waste.

oh rbis are his problem roflmao

dont have exact numbers in front of me atm bc im on my phone, but iirc he has one of the highest % of pa of #3 hitters in baseball with no one on base

bubbachunk
08-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the laugh

Vottomatic
08-08-2011, 11:24 PM

Well after tonight. I expect Joey to come forward and volunteer to pitch out of the bullpen. They need some serious help. :laugh:

Krawhitham
08-09-2011, 12:28 AM
You do not move your MVP for an unproven talent

Management stated at one point they are not moving him to LF because they were afraid it would hurt his offense.

They never should have drafted a player who can only play 1st base and not even do that well when the already had Votto

FireDusty
08-09-2011, 07:53 AM
I love Votto. He's not being selfish.

That said, he needs to be traded in the offseason. Once in a lifetime do you have a nearly identical player to replace an MVP.

We do.

You put Alonzo at first base in this park and by the time he's 27, we'll have long forgotten about Joey Votto.

Of course, we'll have to trade Alonzo because we won't be able to afford him either. :laugh:

TheBigLebowski
08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
I've been around here for quite some time, but I must say - this thread is one of the worst I've read.

plowshareredfan
08-09-2011, 09:06 AM
has anybody been watching lately. MVP is at best an average 1B. And why does everyone think he will be any better in LF than Alonso. MVP is not very fast and would not be able to get to any ball in the gaps or over his head or in front of him. Leave MVP where he is and have Alonso (Mr. Potential) find a position he can play to make it to the big leagues. Isn't this a game of adjustments?

bornready
08-09-2011, 09:27 AM

wow, talk about ironic. your over emotional butt calling someone else over emotional.

and votto says he thinks he's a pretty good first basemen. so, i'm assuming he thinks he helps the team by playing there. therefore, by helping the team, he is not being selfish.

maybe you should try to get over yourself:)

justincredible
08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
70 RBI's from our third hitter, our returning MVP,

This is like blaming Cueto for being 7-5.

Joey Votto is 7th in the NL in RBI with 70.
He has 423 ABs, 250 with bases empty, 173 with runners on. Only 40% of his ABs come with runners on base. Votto's line with RISP is .438/1.312.

Ryan Howard is 1st in the NL in RBI with 89.
He has 429 ABs, 212 with the bases empty, 217 with runners on. More than half of his ABs come with runners on base. Howard's line with RISP is .315/.932.

If Votto had the RBI opportunities that Ryan had he'd be right up there with him, if not ahead of him. It's kind of hard to knock in runs with the likes of Janish/Renteria batting in front of you a majority of the season.

I'm really not sure what more you could ask of him.

bounty37h
08-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Here is an example..

That answers that.

Huh? I dont get what your trying to say, whats that quote in response to? And why should he move for an unproven rookie who is not as good as him in the first place. By your thinking, why isnt Alonso selfish for not getting good enough to play another position so he can get his bat in the lineup?

bounty37h
08-09-2011, 09:43 AM

LOL, yeah, he is the overemotional one. :laugh:

ervinsm84
08-09-2011, 11:44 AM
This is like blaming Cueto for being 7-5.

Joey Votto is 7th in the NL in RBI with 70.
He has 423 ABs, 250 with bases empty, 173 with runners on. Only 40% of his ABs come with runners on base. Votto's line with RISP is .438/1.312.

Ryan Howard is 1st in the NL in RBI with 89.
He has 429 ABs, 212 with the bases empty, 217 with runners on. More than half of his ABs come with runners on base. Howard's line with RISP is .315/.932.

If Votto had the RBI opportunities that Ryan had he'd be right up there with him, if not ahead of him. It's kind of hard to knock in runs with the likes of Janish/Renteria batting in front of you a majority of the season.

I'm really not sure what more you could ask of him.

logic and stats mean nothing. he watches the games and he knows what he sees.

truthiness comes from the gut, and his gut says vottos selfish. gotta trust the gut over facts.

justincredible
08-09-2011, 04:22 PM

truthiness comes from the gut, and his gut says vottos selfish. gotta trust the gut over facts.

:beerme:

CrosleyField
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM

+2

dthomas24
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
This is funny! Knock him for throwing like a girl but other than that your crazy.

BLark = HOF
08-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Like another mentioned, this is the worst thread ever.