PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays, 8/9

chicoruiz
08-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Reds:

Deion Sanders (44) -Maybe the most fun to watch of any Red in the last 30 years.

Junior Kennedy (61) -His brother Jim played briefly in the majors; was he nicknamed "Senior" Kennedy?

Claude Osteen (72) - Local boy who found greater glory in L.A.

Julian Javier (74) -Father of Stan. I always thought he was pretty good with the Cards, but his career OBP is below .300.

Others:

Jason Heyward (22)

Matt Morris (37)

Troy Percival (42)

Ted Simmons (62)

Tommie Agee (69)

Ralph Houk

George Anderson
08-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Junior Kennedy (61) -His brother Jim played briefly in the majors; was he nicknamed "Senior" Kennedy?

[/B]

Kennedy actually won the second base starting job in 80' when Joe Morgan left. Oester replaced him as the starter a few months into the season.

oneupper
08-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Deion can now be part of a trick trivia question, such as:

"How many Hall of Famers played on the (lets say 2001) REDS?"

Sanders was inducted into the Football HOF, of course.

cumberlandreds
08-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Ted Simmons was one of my favorite non-Reds of the 70's. He was a very good hitting catcher for the Cardinals and later the Brewers. I think he mainly DH'd for the then AL Brewers. He was probably below average defensively but made up for it with his bat.

cumberlandreds
08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Deion can now be part of a trick trivia question, such as:

"How many Hall of Famers played on the (lets say 2001) REDS?"

Sanders was inducted into the Football HOF, of course.

Deion Sanders, the first NFL defensive player to make the HOF without ever making a tackle. ;)

Big Klu
08-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Ted Simmons was one of my favorite non-Reds of the 70's. He was a very good hitting catcher for the Cardinals and later the Brewers. I think he mainly DH'd for the then AL Brewers. He was probably below average defensively but made up for it with his bat.

Ted Simmons was also one of my favorite non-Reds (after George Brett). Simmons and Eddie Murray were the reason I learned to switch-hit when I was 13.

Bob Borkowski
08-09-2012, 10:10 AM
We could add shortstop Milt Bolling 82, older brother of Frank Bolling, 2B, both from the 50s. When Milt was traded to Detroit during the '58 season, the Bollings became one of only 4 brother combos in MLB history to play 2B/SS on the same club. The others are: Garvin and Granny Hamner for the Phillies in '45; the twins Eddie and Johnny O'Brien with the Pirates in the mid-50s, and Cal and Billy Ripken for the Orioles during the 1980s.