PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday 08/09/11 MiLB Updates

muddie
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Yasmani Grandal has been placed on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion suffered yesterday on a foul tip in the first inning. Kevin Coddington has been transferred from High-A Bakersfield to replace Grandal on the Mudcats' roster.

dougdirt
08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Bummer. Was hoping to get to see Grandal this week/weekend.

GOYA
08-09-2011, 06:13 PM
The lineup for tonight's buttwhoopin' in Louisville

Perez 7
Valaika 4
Francisco 5
Phipps 8
Hermida 9
Dorn 3
Miller 2
Cook DH
Negron 6
Maloney 1

I'll be there to witness the carnage.

GOYA
08-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Interesting note regarding the Bats from the batssignal:

The Bats are looking for their 47th quality start of the season tonight when Matt Maloney takes the hill. In their IL West Division Championship year of 2010, they only had 53 quality starts. So far this season Bats starting pitchers have posted an ERA of 3.86 but in 2010, the starters had a 4.01era. Despite being on pace to surpass last season’s effort the Bats find themselves 14.5 games out of first on 8/9 compared to being only 2.5 games out on this date a year ago.

kookyguy
08-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Dailey going all Hugh Nicol today stealing third twice Going 1/3 with a double in a 7-3 loss.

mace
08-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Tony Cingrani might be a little too good for the Pioneer League. Tonight it was 4 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 6 K. My man Nick O'Shea has homered (#7) and it's 2-0 after six. Waldrop has a double, Arias a triple.

mace
08-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Dayton was suspended after three, presumably because Torreyes wasn't in the lineup. Dragons were up 2-0 after three. Lotzkar went the first two, retiring Shin-Soo Choo.

mace
08-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Matt Maloney keeps plugging along. He went six strong innings tonight in Louisville's 5-2 win over Columbus. Hermida homered. Corky did not.

mace
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm reluctant to report any slim lead that Carolina holds after eight innings.

Grande Donkey
08-09-2011, 10:38 PM
How is Waldrop doing this year? I've noticed he's had a few XBHs the last couple days.

mace
08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Seven guys in the lineup of the DSL Reds today are hitting .241 or less, with three in the 100s. Of course, they won 9-6. In the DSL, errors occur.

Blitz Dorsey
08-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Cingrani is fantastic. Love that pick so far. A big lefty with good stuff and control. What's not to like? It's early, but sure looks like he was a third-round steal.

Blitz Dorsey
08-09-2011, 10:50 PM
How is Waldrop doing this year? I've noticed he's had a few XBHs the last couple days.

He's doing pretty well for such a young chap in the Pioneer League. Batting .265 with 13 doubles (2 HRs). Usually bats fifth in the lineup. Sometimes sixth.

Blitz Dorsey
08-09-2011, 10:53 PM
And jeez... they couldn't have left Cingrani in there one more inning to get his first professional win? Dude was almost pitching a perfect game through four and they pull him? I understand wanting to take it easy on his arm, but I'm pretty sure he would have been OK to go 5 innings. They let McMyne go 5 the other day and he had more pitches than Cingrani through 4 innings. (Course, the Reds probably care more about protecting Cingrani's arm than they do McMyne's based on what we've seen thus far. Although, McMyne has been much-improved lately. But even his college stats were borderline garbage at Villanova.)

mace
08-09-2011, 10:55 PM

He's hitting .265 with a .740 OPS, which I'd say is very much holding his own for a 19-year-old in the Pioneer League--especially in his first professional season with any kind of extended action. He'll certainly move up in my rankings after this season.

Edit: Sorry, I missed Blitz's previous reply.

mace
08-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Donnie Joseph gets his third save in a week. Good news for him and Carolina, which wins 4-3. Curtis Partch had a solid start. Henry Rodriguez went 2-4 with a start at SS.

Blitz Dorsey
08-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Tony Cingrani might be a little too good for the Pioneer League. Tonight it was 4 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 6 K. My man Nick O'Shea has homered (#7) and it's 2-0 after six. Waldrop has a double, Arias a triple.

I'm liking me some Nick O'Shea more and more each day too. Gotta love a 24th-round pick that is putting up numbers like that ... especially a first baseman that can also play catcher at times. That kind of versatility will make him valuable if he can keep hitting.

Billings is a fun team to follow right now with Cingrani, Buckley, Waldrop, O'Shea and closer James Allen (looking like a nice 7th-round pick). Buckley was a great pick for the sixth round. Hopefully his D can hold up at 3B because there's no doubt he can hit. I would put Mugarian and Guillon on the list too, but they've been stinking up the joint for the most part.

RED VAN HOT
08-09-2011, 11:13 PM
And jeez... they couldn't have left Cingrani in there one more inning to get his first professional win? Dude was almost pitching a perfect game through four and they pull him? I understand wanting to take it easy on his arm, but I'm pretty sure he would have been OK to go 5 innings. They let McMyne go 5 the other day and he had more pitches than Cingrani through 4 innings. (Course, the Reds probably care more about protecting Cingrani's arm than they do McMyne's based on what we've seen thus far. Although, McMyne has been much-improved lately. But even his college stats were borderline garbage at Villanova.)

I'm guessing it is because in college McMyne was a starter and Cingrani was primarily a closer. They are gradually stetching him out. I have noticed that this organization seems to type pitchers early.

dougdirt
08-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Donnie Joseph has a 2.53 ERA over his last 10 games (10.2 innings).

mace
08-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Four pitchers from the recent draft--Cingrani, Cole Green, Erik Miller and James Allen--combine on a 3-hit shutout. Billings wins 2-0.

It was the Mustangs' second straight shutout. Pretty impressive.

mace
08-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Matt Fairel cleaned it up a bit tonight, after a horrendous first start for Bakersfield: 6 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K. Blaze are 0-0 after seven.

mace
08-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Brodie Greene drove in a couple with a triple and Bakersfield leads 3-0 in the eighth.

nemesis
08-10-2011, 12:46 AM
He's hitting .265 with a .740 OPS, which I'd say is very much holding his own for a 19-year-old in the Pioneer League--especially in his first professional season with any kind of extended action. He'll certainly move up in my rankings after this season.

I've been singing his praises all year.

Kid will be one we are talkiing about in a year or two like we are Soto and Torreyes now.

He is top 20 now on my list.

Power, speed, huge frame, makes adjustments. Plays RF with a big arm.

Him and Arias complete the 20 or below group of high ceiling talent the Reds have.

1B Duran
2B Torreyes
3B Arias
SS Hamilton
LF Silva
CF Yorman
RF Waldrop
C Barnhart

camisadelgolf
08-10-2011, 12:54 AM
I've been singing his praises all year.

Kid will be one we are talkiing about in a year or two like we are Soto and Torreyes now.

He is top 20 now on my list.

Power, speed, huge frame, makes adjustments. Plays RF with a big arm.

Him and Arias complete the 20 or below group of high ceiling talent the Reds have.

1B Duran
2B Torreyes
3B Arias
SS Hamilton
LF Silva
CF Yorman
RF Waldrop
C Barnhart
I might put Gabriel Rosa at 1B with Duran in left over Silva. And there about five pitching prospects I'm really excited about.

Benihana
08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I might put Gabriel Rosa at 1B with Duran in left over Silva. And there about five pitching prospects I'm really excited about.

Agreed (or Rosa in LF).

Pitching staff of

1. Corcino
2. Stephenson
3. Guillon
4. J.Perez
5. Mugarian/Chacin/Cisco

That's some nice teenage talent.

lollipopcurve
08-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Pitching staff of

1. Corcino
2. Stephenson
3. Guillon
4. J.Perez
5. Mugarian/Chacin/Cisco

Mitch Clarke is still 20 (barely). Gotta like him over many on this list, at this point.

Do not be surprised if Amir Garrett is on this list come next week, too. If I were betting, I'd wager they sign him.

nemesis
08-10-2011, 10:15 PM

Great Call.

I completely forgot about Rosa.

I'd put him in LF over Silva.

Amir Garrett is a Hamilton type player in terms of real true Raw athletic ability.

Smoking a 96 MPH fastball as a LHP by 18 and 19 year olds next year at Arizona should be a snap, it's those secondary pitches and how they develop that makes all the difference in the world as he advances.

Building his IP will be a challenge too. I would take a guess he will be 24 or 25 before he would ever be MLB ready as a starter. Unless he devotes all his attention to baseball before he is 22.

_Sir_Charles_
08-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Agreed (or Rosa in LF).

Pitching staff of

1. Corcino
2. Stephenson
3. Guillon
4. J.Perez
5. Mugarian/Chacin/Cisco

That's some nice teenage talent.

That's IF Stephenson signs. From what I saw a couple of days ago, it didn't look good.