PDA

View Full Version : Reds Bullpen- 22 games lost

Roush's socks
08-11-2011, 12:36 AM
I think the Reds bullpen is not receiving enough of the blame for this year's failures. They are 2nd highest in the NL with 22 games lost in relief. Only Houston is higher. Their Save Percentage of 56% is also the 2nd worst in the NL.

And yet on ths board and the ORG they mostly get a free pass while all the blame goes to Dusty and Walt, or players like Bruce, Gomes, Renteria, and Rolen.

One of the big reasons the Reds are terrible in one run games is the bullpen.

The Reds need to look at the whole bullpen situation and make some changes. Masset has got to go. He has blown way too many games this year and doesn't seem to be improving. I also think Bray is overrated. He has good numbers, but has blown too many games to be considered as the closer.

Some fans might not be fully adjusted to just how much of a pitcher's league it has become. Having an ERA in the mid 3's isn't that impressive anymore. To be an effective set up man, and shut down closer, it has to be better than that.

The Phillies have 10 games lost in relief this year. If the Reds were in the 15-17 range they would be in contention.

Krawhitham
08-11-2011, 02:50 AM
The Reds' pen ERA is 3.46, MLB average is 3.69 but yet they have the 2nd most loses in baseball (both AL & NL) That to me says the pen is mismanaged

Red Rover
08-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Same Thread already started

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91525

mroby85
08-11-2011, 11:23 AM
The Reds' pen ERA is 3.46, MLB average is 3.69 but yet they have the 2nd most loses in baseball (both AL & NL) That to me says the pen is mismanaged

mismanaged or choke like Massett when the game is tight, but pitch well when its not close? Also Chapman has been veeery up and down, but is dominant when pitching well so he could lose a significant amount of games and still have decent stats.

Krawhitham
08-11-2011, 12:59 PM
mismanaged or choke like Massett when the game is tight, but pitch well when its not close? Also Chapman has been veeery up and down, but is dominant when pitching well so he could lose a significant amount of games and still have decent stats.

Could'a, Would'a, Should'a

Facts is Chapman has ZERO loses on the season

partisan
08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Could'a, Would'a, Should'a

Facts is Chapman has ZERO loses on the season

But we all know that his pitching early in the year contributed to some losses. That's why focusing on ERA or W/L stats only gives you poor picture of what is actually happening.

Chapman has been great recently, but the inconsistency of this bullpen overall has been aggravating.