PDA

View Full Version : Who was responsible for last years success?

Skreep
08-12-2011, 12:20 AM
who would you give the majority credit for getting us to the playoffs?

mroby85
08-12-2011, 12:25 AM
who would you give the majority credit for getting us to the playoffs?

The MVP

nux fan
08-12-2011, 12:39 AM
votto
rolen first half
masset second half
horrible division

Roush's socks
08-12-2011, 01:30 AM
votto
rolen first half
masset second half
horrible division

Agree.

Krawhitham
08-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Arthur Rhodes kept the pen together last year

If the Pen was as good this season as last we would have 15 more wins

BigPoppa
08-12-2011, 03:19 AM
A healthy dose of luck helped a lot.

FireDusty
08-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Miracle come back wins all year long.

Now that the law of average is bringing things back to reality and you are in one run games that require excellent in game management skills, we have the worst record in baseball in those one run games.

It's common knowledge among baseball insiders that a poor record in one run games is a direct reflection on the manager.

Red Rover
08-12-2011, 09:25 AM
The Pirates were terrible

Hey Meat
08-12-2011, 09:37 AM
All of the aforementioned deserve credit. In addition, I believe that O-Cab's presence in the dugout was helpful as well. I know he was out quite a bit, but he was definitely a veteran leader in the club house.

Vottomatic
08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
The Cardinals sucked, just like they do this year.

Skreep
08-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Now that the law of average is bringing things back to reality and you are in one run games that require excellent in game management skills, we have the worst record in baseball in those one run games.

It's common knowledge among baseball insiders that a poor record in one run games is a direct reflection on the manager.

its not common knowledge because its not real. with a name like yours, ill take every post by you as meaningless trolling.

nux fan
08-12-2011, 02:37 PM
if a manager thinks the scoreboard is wrong, contunues to defy sabremath, and rely on instinct and bat the cf ist and ss second the law of averages will catch up to this inaninty eventually

Stray
08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Johnny Gomes in the 1st half
Scott Rolen in the 1st half
Votto's MVP season
Clutch hitting
Dusty Baker pushing the right buttons
OCab
Arthur Rhodes
Defense

It's funny how this turned into a bash Dusty thread. Last year Dusty did a lot of good things.

Stray
08-12-2011, 03:30 PM

I wouldn't say we were brought back to reality. Last year we were on one end of the spectrum, this year we're on the opposite. Reality I'm guessing is somewhere in between. Regardless of what the Sundeck would say, there's a lot of luck in 1 run games. This is a game where failing 70% of the time is great...

Oh and who are these baseball insiders that say that, have a link? I'd love to read it.

Even with a more normal record in 1 run games I still don't think we'd win the division this year. Our holes have been exposed. Pitching, leadoff hitter, and cleanup hitter.

Cincy10
08-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Everybody had career years for the most part and the division was pretty weak

FireDusty
08-12-2011, 03:52 PM
its not common knowledge because its not real. with a name like yours, ill take every post by you as meaningless trolling.

Me = Right
You = Wrong

will5979
08-12-2011, 04:26 PM
1. Phillips, OCab, Votto, Stubbs, Hannigan/Hernandez for the whole year.
2. Gomes and Rolen for the 1st half.
3. Bruce for the 2nd half.

Pitching

1. Cueto, Arroyo, Rhodes, Cordero, and Wood for most of the year.
2. Volquez and Masset for the 2nd half.
3. Leake for the 1st half.

Dusty for about 85% of the season...

Everything just went right last year when this year everything went wrong. Hopefully next year works out with some key moves in the offseason.

Captain13
08-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Conversely, does that mean last year's good record in one run games was a "direct reflection on the manager"?

Cardinal_Fan
08-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't be so hard on yourselves this year. Last year (and frankly this year as well) the NL Central wasn't very good. You guys kicked butt in it last year and clearly were the best overall in the central, but it didn't take too much to be "good" in the central (I believe the Reds had a losing record v/s the NL West/East?).

This year you didn't really upgrade and are performing a bit worse. But the Brewers did upgrade and that makes them the frontrunners. The Cardinals are what they are, and I'm not sure what that is. Last year we beat good teams and lost to bad teams, this year there's just something wrong. But I think more than anything it's that the Brewers improved and you guys stayed the same for the most part.

kfm
08-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Everyone including the front office, manager, scouting, drafting, but mainly the players and the NL Central. In baseball more than any other sport, it is mainly the guys between the white lines. Same goes for this year including the NL Central.