PDA

View Full Version : Jim Day - Play by play tonight?

batsfan
08-12-2011, 03:49 PM
From John Fay's blog:

Due to scheduling conflicts, Jim Day will be doing play-by-play for the Reds-Padres series on Fox Sports Ohio alongside Chris Welsh. Reds Live pre- and post-game shows will be hosted by Jeff Piecoro and Brian Giesenschlag.

Has he ever done any in game broadcasting before? This will be interesting!

traderumor
08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
There is nothing interesting about Jim Day. I think I remember Picoro filling in, but not Day. Hit the snooze alarm.

BCubb2003
08-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Seriously, this season has to be an all-time baseball record for one team's announcing crews.

Unassisted
08-12-2011, 05:04 PM
From John Fay's blog:

Has he ever done any in game broadcasting before? This will be interesting!Not for the Reds. I sat next to him and did color commentary while he did PBP for a baseball game on TV when we were in college.

I did it for a lark. He was serious. This is an opportunity he's been gearing up for for years. He'll do just fine.

SirFelixCat
08-12-2011, 06:39 PM
There is nothing interesting about Jim Day. I think I remember Picoro filling in, but not Day. Hit the snooze alarm.

You should talk to/with him while just watching a ballgame. Dude's hilarious and has a vast knowledge of this team. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt going into tonight. :shrug:

Joseph
08-12-2011, 06:51 PM
I feel like he did a fill in a few years back, but I must be wrong since no one else remembers it.

Tom Servo
08-12-2011, 07:06 PM
:sleep:

RedsManRick
08-12-2011, 08:48 PM
He's not Vin Scully, but I think he's doing a solid job. Very conversational, providing some tidbits, but not trying to do too much. I prefer him to Marty whining and barely calling the action or George Grande's rainbows and sunshine routine.

crazybob60
08-12-2011, 08:53 PM
I think he is doing a well enough job. More than what I did expect when I heard he was going to be filling in. I will say though, he had me laughing when he did his Sean Casey impression.

Blitz Dorsey
08-12-2011, 09:04 PM

I prefer Day to Picoro. I'm always worried Pic is going to kiss one of the players during his postgame interviews. He literally drools at times. Don't get me wrong, I like that he's a homer, but we can all admit that Pic takes it too far and some of his postgame interviews are embarrassing. It's almost as if they just pulled a fan from the stands to interview a player. Pic reminds me of the "Chris Farley Show" at times. "Hey, remember when you hit that game-winning home run? That was awesome!" Player: "Yeah, I remember. It just happened 5 minutes ago."

Day is doing pretty good. Course, maybe that's just because I just flipped from the Bungles game and any PBP announcer sounds better than Brad Johannson.

mattfeet
08-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I think Jim Day is doing a very good job thus far.

-Matt

pedro
08-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Day doesn't have a very good "voice" but I think he's doing pretty well. Certainly not as annoying as Thom or Brantley.

I'd be happy if this was the primary duo. (small sample size noted)

Redsfan320
08-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Congrats to JD on a very solid game tonight. I, for one, am looking forward to hearing more, and would feel just fine about it if they dumped Thom and went with a JD, Kelch, and Grande rotation.

Big Klu
08-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I can't believe I'm going to say this (because I've always thought of him as the class clown type), but Jim Day did a pretty good job, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's broadcast. He did much better than expected. (I also cracked up at his Sean Casey impression.)

traderumor
08-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I was pleasantly surprised. He is much more suited for this job than pre/postgame.

Unassisted
08-12-2011, 10:56 PM
If you follow JD on Twitter or Facebook, you'd be less surprised at his persona for play-by-play. On Twitter, IMO he has a good balance of enthusiasm and criticism for the Reds. But he's also deferential to the other media covering the team and friendly to all but the most trollish fans.

Roy Tucker
08-12-2011, 11:05 PM
He has a nice cadence and a conversational manner. He did well and I enjoyed him.

Doesn't really have the pipes, but I think he's got a future in the biz.

Always Red
08-12-2011, 11:27 PM
I also thought Day did a fine job, and prefer him to Thom's constant forced drama.

WVRedsFan
08-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Dang. Hate I missed that. Sucks to be away from the friendly confines of home to see the Reds.

WVRedsFan
08-13-2011, 12:01 AM
He has a nice cadence and a conversational manner. He did well and I enjoyed him.

Doesn't really have the pipes, but I think he's got a future in the biz.How was his HR call when Bruce hit the big one?

Blitz Dorsey
08-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Congrats to JD on a very solid game tonight. I, for one, am looking forward to hearing more, and would feel just fine about it if they dumped Thom and went with a JD, Kelch, and Grande rotation.

You'd rather have Grande than Thom? I'm almost speechless.

(I said "almost." No matter how bad Thom might be, he will always be light-years better than George Grande.)

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-13-2011, 01:55 AM

:explode:

Good God that trio would be mind-numbingly awful. I shudder just seeing those three names together.

Jim Day is about as interesting as a rice cake. And George Grande makes me want to go out and do really bad, illegal things just to erase that goodie-goodie voice from my mind.

AtomicDumpling
08-13-2011, 04:04 AM
I thought Jim Day did an excellent job with the play-by-play and the discussion. If one game is any indication he is a big improvement over Thom Brennaman. Thom always finds a way to annoy the crap out of me several times per game. Jim Day didn't annoy me at all.

Ron Madden
08-13-2011, 04:13 AM

(I said "almost." No matter how bad Thom might be, he will always be light-years better than George Grande.)

That's your opinion.

Ron Madden
08-13-2011, 04:15 AM
:explode:

Good God that trio would be mind-numbingly awful. I shudder just seeing those three names together.

Jim Day is about as interesting as a rice cake. And George Grande makes me want to go out and do really bad, illegal things just to erase that goodie-goodie voice from my mind.

This opinion doesn't surprise me either. ;)

Ron Madden
08-13-2011, 04:27 AM

I agree, Congrats Jim Day.

I'm in agreement with others that say this duo worked for me as a small sample size but then again I'd almost rather listen to anyone but Thom and the Cowboy or even Marty and the Cowboy anymore.

mth123
08-13-2011, 05:35 AM
I thought Jim Day did an excellent job with the play-by-play and the discussion. If one game is any indication he is a big improvement over Thom Brennaman. Thom always finds a way to annoy the crap out of me several times per game. Jim Day didn't annoy me at all.

:thumbup:

Redsfan320
08-13-2011, 06:36 AM

Lol... I'm a huge Grande fan myself. Really pleasant to listen to, and seems like a great guy. I guess I can get not lovin' him, but I don't get all the Grande-hate on here. (Nor the Marty hate, but that's another thing.)

BCubb2003
08-13-2011, 08:33 AM
I liked that Jim Day brought up how the Reds pitchers tend to give the lead back in the next inning, and he had numbers to back it up. I want the play-by-play guy to set a nice pace, let the analyst do his thing, and focus on the game. Although he got a little squirrelly in the late innings, I thought Jim Day did fine, especially for someone who doesn't do it regularly.

oneupper
08-13-2011, 08:57 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with Day. Since all I get is MLB.tv, I don't see much of him except human interest pieces from the stands and the like. Was expecting a lot of candy-coated fluff. But it wasn't like that.
His inexperience showed a bit (Hanigan is the REDs catcher...yes, how many times in an AB do I need to hear that?), but not bothersome.
His praising of Chris, however, I could do without and you could hear Welsh was uncomfortable with that too.

He's fine as change of pace. I still like Thom, even though he has gotten "preachier" over time. And the guy who came up from the minors (K? not the one who mixes up the players) is fine too.

08-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Nice beat, easy to dance to, not too memorable, overall I give it a 7 :)

RANDY IN INDY
08-13-2011, 09:19 AM
I guess I'm in the minority. I don't think I could listen to that night after night. Wasn't awful but it wasn't good either.

RichRed
08-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I already like him better than Thom.

alexad
08-13-2011, 10:33 AM
I am not a Jim Day fan. I watched him do sports on the local Columbus Channel 6 for years and he was terrible. He was removed/fired from BlueJackets post game stuff because be was bad. I think he is fake.

He was ugly last night. Add Chris Welch to the mix last night and WOW !! Train Wreck!!!! The announcing crew displayed the way this team has been playing.

A good broadcaster had to be natural and be themselves. That is why I love to hear Kelch. He never tries to be more than the game. Laid back approach and gets excited when he needs to.

I think Pic is better at Football. He did some color for Ohio University a few years ago. I thought he did a great job of that.

BCubb2003
08-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Thom would be a first-rate play-by-play guy if he did two things: 1. Made his point and got on with the game, instead of going into his "from the pulpit" voice. 2. Never said another word about Cowboy's eating habits.

cincrazy
08-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I am not a Jim Day fan. I watched him do sports on the local Columbus Channel 6 for years and he was terrible. He was removed/fired from BlueJackets post game stuff because be was bad. I think he is fake.

He was ugly last night. Add Chris Welch to the mix last night and WOW !! Train Wreck!!!! The announcing crew displayed the way this team has been playing.

A good broadcaster had to be natural and be themselves. That is why I love to hear Kelch. He never tries to be more than the game. Laid back approach and gets excited when he needs to.

I think Pic is better at Football. He did some color for Ohio University a few years ago. I thought he did a great job of that.

Well if you don't like Jim Day you don't like Jim Day, but I can tell you from personal experience he's not fake. One of my good buddies was an intern for the Blue Jackets, and Day was one of the most personable, warm guys around. He helped him with his job, answered any questions he had, and was the same guy off set as he is on set. Definitely not fake, just a guy that loves his job.

Screwball
08-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I guess I'm in the minority. I don't think I could listen to that night after night. Wasn't awful but it wasn't good either.

You and me both, Randy. He actually did an alright job given his inexperience, but I really hope this won't be anything more than a temporary one-time gig.

wlf WV
08-13-2011, 05:34 PM
His self deprecation and genuineness have always made him one of my favorites.

Kc61
08-13-2011, 07:51 PM
I like Day. He has a good sense of humor.

Notice how he emulates Ali when he says "Frazier".

Caveat Emperor
08-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Jim Day sounds like one of the old Sega SportsTalk games back on the Genesis -- he's always a second or so behind the action and seems to speak in short bursts as opposed to a more conversational tone.

Captain Hook
08-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Thought Day was decent tonight.I have no problem with him doing games in the future as long as the team keeps winning those games.

Larkin Fan
08-13-2011, 10:46 PM
His Sean Casey impersonation is hilarious.

Cooper
08-13-2011, 11:14 PM
I thought he did good. I tend to enjoy his humor.

cumberlandreds
08-13-2011, 11:17 PM
If Day has brought all this run production he can stay.

Actually I have watched the Padres broadcast the last two nights. I would rather listen to Enberg and Gwynn than any of the Reds announcers. Sounds like the overall comments from RZ is that Day has done all right. Good for him. Day has always seemed like a guininuely good guy to me and I have always thought he did a good job with the pre and post game shows.

AtomicDumpling
08-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Another strong effort from Mr. Day. He should only get better with experience. I would be happy to see him stay in the mix of broadcasters.

Ghosts of 1990
08-14-2011, 12:11 AM
I wonder what the reviews would be of JD if the Reds hadn't played two great games in the past two days.

WVPacman
08-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Lord the Thom and Marty hatred is getting redicious on this board.Marty is a all time great and I would rather listen to him then anybody else.He tells it like it is and thats what I love about him.Same goes for Thom,he is going to be just like his dad and thats a good thing to me.He tells it like it is and thats what I want from a announcer.If you like boring announcers then become a pirates fan and listen to bob walk.You would love him b/c he never puts down anybody.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Didn't watch the game but I saw the highlights on cincinnatireds.com, and my god was Jim Day brutal on those home run calls. And he committed the cardinal sin in my book - calling Cincinnati by the completely obnoxious and awful-sounding "Cincinnatuh"

Please make Jim Day go away.

RANDY IN INDY
08-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Lord the Thom and Marty hatred is getting redicious on this board.Marty is a all time great and I would rather listen to him then anybody else.He tells it like it is and thats what I love about him.Same goes for Thom,he is going to be just like his dad and thats a good thing to me.He tells it like it is and thats what I want from a announcer.If you like boring announcers then become a pirates fan and listen to bob walk.You would love him b/c he never puts down anybody.
:beerme:

BCubb2003
08-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Didn't watch the game but I saw the highlights on cincinnatireds.com, and my god was Jim Day brutal on those home run calls. And he committed the cardinal sin in my book - calling Cincinnati by the completely obnoxious and awful-sounding "Cincinnatuh"

Please make Jim Day go away.

He definitely tries too hard on the home run calls. "That bad boy is g-uh-n!" Reminds me of a thing Letterman did once. But if Cincinnatuh is a problem, then what about Lullvll?

I think Marty has actually toned down some of his off-topic chatter lately. Maybe because the team is better. Not so much "quintessential ladies' man" and "mom'n'em" stuff. Thom could be be very good if he didn't drag out his point -- and dropped the whole What's Cowboy Eating thing.

lollipopcurve
08-14-2011, 10:22 AM
His Sean Casey impersonation is hilarious.

Yes it is. I like Day -- offbeat, and his humor works for me. I hope they give him more games. I think he'd be pretty darn good with experience.

Blitz Dorsey
08-14-2011, 09:15 PM

The people who like boring/never-say-a-bad-word-about-anyone announcers have already spoken. They like George Grande.

Caveat Emperor
08-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Another strong effort from Mr. Day. He should only get better with experience. I would be happy to see him stay in the mix of broadcasters.

I must be hearing something completely different, because I feel like it's been pretty brutal on the telecasts the last few days. Lots of dead air, awkward exchanges, and stunted deliveries.

Day seems like a nice dude, but I don't know that I'd ever want to hear him do a game again. Baseball broadcasting is a tough gig, though, so no shame in the effort.

AtomicDumpling
08-15-2011, 02:24 AM
I must be hearing something completely different, because I feel like it's been pretty brutal on the telecasts the last few days. Lots of dead air, awkward exchanges, and stunted deliveries.

Day seems like a nice dude, but I don't know that I'd ever want to hear him do a game again. Baseball broadcasting is a tough gig, though, so no shame in the effort.

I disagree. I think Day has done a far better job than Thom Brennaman or Jeff Brantley. Brantley is purely a color guy and is terrible at calling the game. I find Thom extremely annoying. I would rather have no announcer at all than listen to Thom. An announcer doesn't have to be in your face all the time. I am watching the game with my own eyes so I don't need him to constantly be stating the obvious all game long. Just fill the time between plays with some interesting observations and friendly banter. Jim Day is good at that. Considering that this was his first ever shot at the gig I thought he did an excellent job.

mth123
08-15-2011, 06:08 AM
I disagree. I think Day has done a far better job than Thom Brennaman or Jeff Brantley. Brantley is purely a color guy and is terrible at calling the game. I find Thom extremely annoying. I would rather have no announcer at all than listen to Thom. An announcer doesn't have to be in your face all the time. I am watching the game with my own eyes so I don't need him to constantly be stating the obvious all game long. Just fill the time between plays with some interesting observations and friendly banter. Jim Day is good at that. Considering that this was his first ever shot at the gig I thought he did an excellent job.

Agree on all points except I don't even like Brantley on color.

fearofpopvol1
08-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Really, I wish Kelch was the full time PBP guy. Although I think the criticisms of Thom are fair, I much prefer him to Grande.

_Sir_Charles_
08-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Agree on all points except I don't even like Brantley on color.

Brantley is actually fine when he's talking about things he actually knows about in regards to baseball. Pitching mechanics and such. He actually makes solid points when it's topics like that. Otherwise...he's brutal.

As for Marty...I don't care how grumpy he may get...he'll always be the voice of the Reds for me. Just hearing him instantly brings back powerful childhood memories...and that trumps most anything else in my book. Just hearing "and this game is underway" or "and this one belongs to the reds" brings a smile to my face. Simple pleasures I guess.

mth123
08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Brantley is actually fine when he's talking about things he actually knows about in regards to baseball. Pitching mechanics and such. He actually makes solid points when it's topics like that. Otherwise...he's brutal.

As for Marty...I don't care how grumpy he may get...he'll always be the voice of the Reds for me. Just hearing him instantly brings back powerful childhood memories...and that trumps most anything else in my book. Just hearing "and this game is underway" or "and this one belongs to the reds" brings a smile to my face. Simple pleasures I guess.

Brantley does have some knowledge, but I can't stand listening to the guy talk. Fingernails on a blackboard would make a better broadcast IMO.

cumberlandreds
08-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Totally agree about Brantley. He's really good talking abut pitching and everything about it. But when he gets on the food kick that's it for baseball.

_Sir_Charles_
08-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Brantley does have some knowledge, but I can't stand listening to the guy talk. Fingernails on a blackboard would make a better broadcast IMO.

Okay, based on voice....absolutely agree. I can't stand that twang accent...and I live in the south! :O) The only time I can stand the guy is when he's specifically talking about pitching mechanics and mental preparation and the like. Otherwise...*shudders*

RichRed
08-16-2011, 12:52 PM

I agree with all this. Of course, the true test would be how he holds up over several broadcasts. Will he continue to improve and grow into the role, or will there be a future thread of "Day-isms" that drive people nuts?

I've already noticed a propensity for him to use the expression "bad boy." As in "Votto crushed that bad boy to straight-away center field."

Still better than Thom though.

Blitz Dorsey
08-16-2011, 02:21 PM
The Brantley food jokes might actually be funny if he were fat. For example, picture Jeff Brantley looking like Chris Farley. Then you have people like Thom making fun of him for eating too much. That could be funny. But Brantley is not even close to fat. He even talks about how he works out in the offseason with current MLB pitchers like Paul Maholm.

"Does this suit make me look fat?"

"No, no, no. Your face does."