PDA

View Full Version : Big Z ejected after giving up 5 HR; Says he is retiring

LvJ
08-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Carlos Zambrana gives up 5 HR to the Braves tonight and after back to back shots he throws inside to Chipper TWICE trying to nail him but failing miserably like the piece of crap he is. He gets ejected and then goes and cleans out his locker.

Ejection: Here (http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17943115)
Story: Here (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0813-cubs-braves-chicago--20110813,0,2460261.story)

Seriously the biggest man child and a total disgrace to professional sports.

Tom Servo
08-13-2011, 12:03 AM
He'll always have Opening Day 07 where he gave up two longballs to Dunner. :cool:

CTA513
08-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Reds should trade for him

Ghosts of 1990
08-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Reds should trade for him

You took the words from my mouth. But I was only going to be a quarter serious. :laugh:

dman
08-13-2011, 12:30 AM
There's been some things that Chipper's done off the field that I haven't agreed with, but professionally, I have always had the utmost respect for how he's conducted himself on the field and how he's represented the Braves.

Only Zambrano, and maybe a couple of others could act this way as a result of their own mistakes.

VR
08-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Roid
Rage

kaldaniels
08-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Just having read the story, I love how the Cubs all stayed in the dugout when the Braves bench emptied.

dman
08-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Just having read the story, I love how the Cubs all stayed in the dugout when the Braves bench emptied.

I enjoyed watching the look on his face after Uggla's 2nd tater. He started breathing a little bit harder, to the point that you could tell that he was boiling inside.

RedsManRick
08-13-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm sure the Cubs would love to have $18MM back next year.

WVRedsFan
08-13-2011, 12:54 AM
If there ever was an argument for NOT signing any pitcher to a LTC, this may be it--especially this guy. Not to get in trouble (which I will), the Reds need to be very careful with EV. Not that he ever was, but it ain't happening with him. Just like CZ.

Blitz Dorsey
08-13-2011, 01:28 AM
What a loser/headcase. Baseball would be better off without this clown. Unfortunately, I'm sure he's not actually retiring.

Blitz Dorsey
08-13-2011, 01:31 AM
If there ever was an argument for NOT signing any pitcher to a LTC, this may be it--especially this guy. Not to get in trouble (which I will), the Reds need to be very careful with EV. Not that he ever was, but it ain't happening with him. Just like CZ.

That's why I thank the Good Lord that Volquez (and his agent) were foolish enough to turn down the Reds' LTC last offseason. If Volquez hasn't fired that agent yet, he sure should. Bottom line is that I'm thrilled we're not locked into anything long-term with Edinson. He's awful IMO.

durl
08-13-2011, 02:28 PM

Same here.

oneupper
08-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Z's not going to give away that kind of money. He'll be back.

reds44
08-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I think Zambrano gets entirely too bad of a reputation in baseball.

dabvu2498
08-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Thats probably somewhat true, but ask yourself this: Would you want to have the locker next to Zambrano's in the clubhouse?

RedsManRick
08-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Z's not going to give away that kind of money. He'll be back.

Wonder if there's some sort of breach of contract opportunity for the Cubs to void the rest of his deal?

Hap
08-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Only Zambrano, and maybe a couple of others could act this way as a result of their own mistakes.

In the style of Peter Griffin....

That's kinda like that time that Doug Dascenzo bunted in the tying run off of Rob Dibble....

Chicago Cubs, 1991: Andre Dawson Errupts - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKkHxkkCyA)

scroll forward to about 1:48

Those of us whom are old enough remember this quite well.

Matt700wlw
08-13-2011, 05:16 PM
I think deep down, Z wants to be a Cardinal.

kaldaniels
08-13-2011, 05:17 PM

Ehhh...I disagree. I mean for real, when you tune into a Zambrano start, what are the odds you see him lose his temper or act like a baby in some manner? I would say 25 percent. Am I wrong on that? Happens way too often regardless.

_Sir_Charles_
08-13-2011, 05:40 PM
I can understand Z being frustrated, but there's no excuse for that. But for me, the most impressive thing out of that whole thing is just how PERFECTLY the home plate ump handled things. I haven't seen an ump take charge of a situation like that in a long, LONG time. That is how it should be handled EVERY time.

chicoruiz
08-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Okay, look at the ejection clip, check out the close-up of Z in the dugout, and tell me he doesn't look like a Hispanic version of Curly from The Three Stooges. Or am I crazy?

(These options may not be mutually exclusive)

mattfeet
08-13-2011, 06:39 PM
From MLBTR:

2:56pm: The Cubs have placed Zambrano on the disqualified list, reports Sullivan (all Twitter links). Zambrano can not be with the team for 30 days and will not be paid during that time. MLB and the players' union will use the 30 days to discuss the next step, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of The Chicago Sun-Times (on Twitter).

MrCinatit
08-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Maybe it's just me, but Quade seems to have a "I really don't want to go out and argue" look on his face.
Quade: Hey, listen. Ted. You made the right call. You know it. I know it.
Timmons: Yeah? So...why are you out here.
Quade: I...I guess I have to come out here and save Carlos some face. I guess. But you know, and I know he's a big baby. I mean, look at him pouting in the dugout.
Timmons: He looks like a Cabbage Patch Doll!
Quade: I know, right! But, you know, I hope you understand. I mean, I have to do this, or he will act like a huge freaking baby in the press conference after the game.
Timmons: Yeah. Me thinks the child doeth protest too much.
Quade: Tell me about it.
Timmons: Hey! Maybe you'll be lucky and he'll be out of the locker room before the game is over!
*Umpire and manager have a good laugh and part ways*

UKFlounder
08-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Here is ESPN's story
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/6859394/chicago-cubs-place-carlos-zambrano-disqualified-list

A snippet:

His actions last night were totally intolerable," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "This was the most stringent penalty we could enforce without a release."

After giving up five home runs in a 10-4 loss to the Atlanta Braves and getting ejected for throwing at Chipper Jones on Friday, Zambrano cleaned out his locker and told trainers and clubhouse people during the game that he was "retiring."

After speaking with Zambrano's agent, Barry Praver, on Saturday, Hendry said it's his understanding that Zambrano is not retiring at this point.

Hendry also said that while he hasn't heard from the Major League Baseball Players Association, he expects it might file a grievance due to the severity of the punishment.

"His actions last night are very detrimental to his teammates," Hendry said. "There's not much worse than running out on your teammates and announcing your retirement."

Tony Cloninger
08-13-2011, 07:42 PM
They took out the Smoltz comment in that article.

It was a funny comment by him. He said basically that it is up to management and the teams to train these players on how to be professionals. He also stated that the teams should hold these players accountable when they don't, so this does not happen.

I find that amusing and typically arrogant ....Like most players, who feel they should be pampered like children, but it's not their fault when they get out of line. How many times have teams tried to impose things on players and have the MLBPA come down on the club? Someone should really call him out about that stupid comment he made.

dabvu2498
08-13-2011, 07:54 PM
In the style of Peter Griffin....

That's kinda like that time that Doug Dascenzo bunted in the tying run off of Rob Dibble....

Those of us whom are old enough remember this quite well.

I was at Wrigley that night. It was awesome.

cumberlandreds
08-15-2011, 08:56 AM
The Cubs blew it when they didn't get Zambrano to sign off on the those retrirement papers when he was hot on the idea of retirement. They would have been off the hook for the money they owed him plus an idiot out of the clubhouse. Now if they want to be shed of him they will have to release him and pay him the money.