PDA

View Full Version : LA Times says Reds fans are ninth worst

BCubb2003
08-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Their criteria seem flimsy and inconsistent.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/la-sp-0814-baseball-rankings-20110814,0,5945360.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fsports%2Fbaseball%2 Fmlb+%28L.A.+Times+-+Baseball+News%29

fearofpopvol1
08-13-2011, 07:44 PM
How so? Looks like it's based on average home attendance?

And there is absolutely some validity to what they say about the Reds...

9. Cincinnati (27,651) We can understand fans staying home in Kansas City, Seattle and Oakland. But the Reds won a division title last year.

The Reds attendance wasn't great when they were still in the race this year. I understand that attendance isn't or shouldn't be the sole metric when measuring how passionate a fanbase is, but you have to admit, the attendance is sad anyhow. It's pretty embarrassing to see a nationally televised game on ESPN Sunday Night and see the stadium half empty.

Unassisted
08-13-2011, 07:45 PM
You gonna believe this from the newspaper of a city renowned for its disinterested baseball fans? ;)

Looks to me like it's based largely on attendance. Unsurprisingly, all but one of the top 9 teams is in a large market.

BCubb2003
08-13-2011, 07:58 PM
They praise fans who show up when the team wins, but mark down fans whose team hasn't won consistently enough to be convinced things are different.

Big Klu
08-14-2011, 01:15 AM
To my knowledge, Reds fans have never beaten a fan of the opposing team to the brink of death in the parking lot after a game at GABP (or Riverfront or Crosley, for that matter).

Maybe the L.A. Times should look in their own back yard first.

dougdirt
08-14-2011, 01:57 AM
To my knowledge, Reds fans have never beaten a fan of the opposing team to the brink of death in the parking lot after a game at GABP (or Riverfront or Crosley, for that matter).

Maybe the L.A. Times should look in their own back yard first.

Eh. Really sad situation, but lets be honest. That could have happened anywhere. Every pro sports team has absolute idiots that are stupid enough to do something like that as a fan.

mbgrayson
08-14-2011, 03:12 AM
Factor in number of wins over the last ten years, and the size of the city, and the Reds will look pretty good for attendance. Any metric that doesn't consider market size is just not worth anything.

Hap
08-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Los Angeles jerks can say whatever they want. At least we don't have thugs terrorizing our parking lots.

GAC
08-14-2011, 05:13 AM
and at least our team hasn't filed for bankruptcy protection.

RFS62
08-14-2011, 08:37 AM
You gonna believe this from the newspaper of a city renowned for its disinterested baseball fans? ;)

No kidding. Show up late, leave early, make sure you're seen by everyone. Dodger baseball for many in LA.

Every city has it's hardcore fans. The casual fan seems more to me to be indicitave of the tone of a city.

Casual fans in LA give new meaning to the word casual.

Now casual Cubs fans.... there's a potential three part Dr. Phil for ya. Those tortured souls must be paying off some heavy karma from many past lives of evil.

Reds Freak
08-14-2011, 02:52 PM
How so? Looks like it's based on average home attendance?

And there is absolutely some validity to what they say about the Reds...

The Reds attendance wasn't great when they were still in the race this year. I understand that attendance isn't or shouldn't be the sole metric when measuring how passionate a fanbase is, but you have to admit, the attendance is sad anyhow. It's pretty embarrassing to see a nationally televised game on ESPN Sunday Night and see the stadium half empty.

I assume you're referring to the Reds Sunday night game a few weeks ago against the Braves? Attendance for that game was 33,000+, hardly an empty stadium...

TeamBoone
08-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Actually, the Reds' attendance has been pretty good this year. In fact, two weeks ago, someone in the media said they were averaging 35,000 a game. They've had quite a few sellouts too.

And, I agree... the Sunday night game was well attended... I don't know what 'fear' was watching.

dougdirt
08-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Los Angeles jerks can say whatever they want. At least we don't have thugs terrorizing our parking lots.

Tell that to the two writers who were robbed at gun point leaving the stadium last week.

Again, that can happen everywhere.

Hap
08-16-2011, 10:09 PM
I knew someone would say that.....

My response would be that this GABP robbery happened long after the game was over during the wee hours of the morning when not many other people were roaming the streets.......

reds1869
08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
I knew someone would say that.....

My response would be that this GABP robbery happened long after the game was over during the wee hours of the morning when not many other people were roaming the streets.......

And it was a typical robbery, not fan-on fan violence. One happens in any metropolitan area, the other does not.

dougdirt
08-17-2011, 03:23 PM
And it was a typical robbery, not fan-on fan violence. One happens in any metropolitan area, the other does not.

Please. You don't know that the robber wasn't a Reds fan. And lets be real, I have seen multiple fights at and outside of Reds games. It happens everywhere. To pretend it doesn't is ridiculous. Whenever you put 30-40,000 people in one area, there are going to be some bad eggs in there. That is simply how it is.

jhc2010
08-17-2011, 07:17 PM
It's pretty embarrassing to see a nationally televised game on ESPN Sunday Night and see the stadium half empty.What are you talking about? The attendance for that Sunday Night game against San Francisco was 37,864, just short of a sell-out.

That was the largest Sunday crowd since August 1, 2010 vs. Atlanta (40,871). It was the third largest Sunday crowd since 2005!

jhc2010
08-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Current attendance numbers can be seen here:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

The Reds (as of today) rank 16th out of 30 and have better numbers than some larger market teams such as Chicago White Sox and Houston.

This is an interesting link showing how teams have fared in attendance compared to last year at this point in the season.
http://baseball-reference.com/leagues/current_attendance.shtml

As of today, the Reds are up 1,845 fans per game through this point last season. That's really good considering the Reds were +2.0 games in the Central last year at this point instead of -12.5.

jhc2010
08-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Getting back to the original post, there are some major omissions.

The Dodgers have some of the worst fans around. They come late and leave early. The Dodgers have lost more than 7,000 fans per game this season, more than double any team in the majors. There is no way they should be in the top 10, yet they are ranked #8.

Milwaukee Fans are a lot better than #10. I am amazed at how large their crowds are, even on weeknights. Their average attendance of 36,726 is 10th best in the majors and puts teams from much larger markets to shame (LAD 36,875, NYM 30,891, ATL 29,429)

Where is Kansas City on the list of "Raspberries"? They barely draw 20,000 per game, yet their fan base is not in the bottom 10? Yes, they stink, but their ballpark was just refurnished and should help draw some more folks. Baltimore is also missing from bottom 10 teams despite only drawing 21,772 this season.

The Nationals are 8th worst, right next to the Reds at #9?? They should be up next to Oakland, Tampa Bay, and Florida.