PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome hits his 600th HR

RedEye
08-15-2011, 10:22 PM
I've spent the last few moments thinking about how relatively under-the-radar Thome has been for such a great, great player. I'm particularly stuck on this paragraph of this (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6864854/minnesota-twins-slugger-jim-thome-clubs-600th-career-homer) article from ESPN:

Thome became the second-fastest hitter to reach the milestone, hitting his 600th homer in at-bat No. 8,137. Babe Ruth needed only 6,921 at-bats.

Thoughts?

Griffey012
08-15-2011, 10:27 PM
One of the greatest power hitters ever, and what seems to be like a very professional and classy guy. Definitely a HOF'er, and possess one of the sweetest opposite field power stroke around the game. Good to see him hit #600 in his typical opposite field fashion.

mth123
08-15-2011, 10:27 PM
I've spent the last few moments thinking about how relatively under-the-radar Thome has been for such a great, great player. I'm particularly stuck on this paragraph of this (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6864854/minnesota-twins-slugger-jim-thome-clubs-600th-career-homer) article from ESPN:

Thoughts?

Thome is awesome IMO. I've grown blase about the 600 HR milestone the last 10 years or so and didn't really take much note when Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod or even Griffey did it recently, but somehow I found myself pretty excited when Thome got his.

Congrats to a first ballot HOF player.

Tom Servo
08-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Congratulations JI

JIM THOME

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Congrats to Thome, he's always been one of my favorites.

GAC
08-16-2011, 04:35 AM
Is there anyone who has hit 600 career Hrs, and upon meeting eligibility, didn't make the HOF?

And the guy is a class act too.

Ron Madden
08-16-2011, 05:05 AM
If I was a member of the BBWA Thome and KGJ would most definitely get my vote for the HOF.

RedsBaron
08-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Is there anyone who has hit 600 career Hrs, and upon meeting eligibility, didn't make the HOF?

Not yet. We will see what happens when Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa become eligible. Until Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmiero came along no one who hit 500 career HRs had failed to make the HOF.
Congrats to Thome, who has always to be a class guy.

Griffey012
08-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Thome is awesome IMO. I've grown blase about the 600 HR milestone the last 10 years or so and didn't really take much note when Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod or even Griffey did it recently, but somehow I found myself pretty excited when Thome got his.

Honestly though, he probably doesn't stand a chance of being a first ballot HOF'er.

RedFanAlways1966
08-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Honestly though, he probably doesn't stand a chance of being a first ballot HOF'er.

Makes for an interesting debate. Hitting 600 HRs is quite an accomplishment. Does it merit 1st ballot consideration? Lets pretend Thome had finished his career with 595 HRs... does he deserve to be in Hall on the 1st ballot?

I think with less than 600 HRs not too many people (outside of the Jim Thome fan club) argue for a 1st ballot. Some might argue that he should wait more than a few years to ge in the Hall. Therefore, does hitting the 600 HR plateau mean you should get in on the 1st ballot automatically?

I think he should not get in on the 1st ballot. It is just my opinion, but I feel the 1st ballot guys should be an "all-time-great". I do not think Thome is in that category. Definitely a great HR hitter, but not an "all-time-great". Harmon Killebrew comes to mind when I think of Thome. I like to think Killebrew might have mirrored or surpassed Thome if he played in the same era. The 2nd/3rd ballot seems fair to me.

Without 600 HRs Jim Thome might be another Andre Dawson when it comes to being enshrined in Cooperstown (keep waiting and waiting...). If not for the era he played in, would Thome have gotten 600 HRs? Makes for interesting discussion. And hopefully we have another guy who did it the right way.

redsfandan
08-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Congrats to Thome. But, Griffey is the only one of the 5 players who reached 600 homers in the last 30+ years that didn't need the help of steroids or the dh to do it.

There will be in a couple years.

cumberlandreds
08-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Thome is one of my favorites. He seems like a great guy who just goes out there and does his job everyday. He should be a first ballot HOF IMO.

George Anderson
08-16-2011, 09:51 AM
I think it is still possible Thome could end up with another 50 or so HR's making his grand total around 650. If that is the case then IMO he will no doubt be in on the first ballot.

RedFanAlways1966
08-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I think it is still possible Thome could end up with another 50 or so HR's making his grand total around 650. If that is the case then IMO he will no doubt be in on the first ballot.

Good point. No fault of Thome's (the era), but how many HRs would any other non-PED batter who ended with more than 500 career HRs have had? Did all of these guys make it on the 1st ballot (I really do not know)? IMO Jim Thome is less deserving of these sort of accolades than most that have 500 or more HRs. Not bottom, but nowhere the top. This is not to belittle Thome as I am comparing him to some awesome names. It used to be 500 HRs was an automatic for the Hall. What is the number for today's players? And is there a number that means 1st ballot?

Aaron, Ruth, Mays, Griffey Jr., Robinson, Killebrew, Jackson, Schmidt, Mantle, Foxx, McCovey, Thomas, Williams, Banks, Mathews, Ott and Murray.