PDA

View Full Version : Robert Stephenson Signed

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2011, 01:02 AM
jimcallisBA Jim Callis #Reds sign 1st rder Robert Stephenson for $2 mil. #mlbdraft

Benihana
08-16-2011, 01:02 AM
jimcallisBA Jim Callis #Reds sign 1st rder Robert Stephenson for $2 mil. #mlbdraft

:beerme:

indy_dave00
08-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Glad to see Stephenson signed; just wish the Reds would not make us wait till the last minute.

PuffyPig
08-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Glad to see Stephenson signed; just wish the Reds would not make us wait till the last minute.

Quite a bit over slot, not much choice.

HeatherC1212
08-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Everyone else seemed to be signing last minute this year so I'm not surprised we had to wait for Stephenson too. Glad they got him signed! :)

Guacarock
08-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Worth the wait to the bewitching hour.

Guacarock
08-16-2011, 04:18 AM
Let's hope we have struck Treasure Island, not opened The Wrong Box.

FireDusty
08-16-2011, 08:30 AM
I love it that the Reds keep stocking the pipeline with pitching.

Bumper Sticker Idea.

"You Can Never Have To Much Pitching"

MikeS21
08-16-2011, 10:49 AM
The whole idea of a "slot" has to be one of the most idiotic ideas anyone has come up with. Virtually every team had to go above slot in order to get their picks signed. And it seems as if the Reds, especially, had to go over slot to sign most of their picks. What's the point of a slot?

redsfandan
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Quite a bit over slot, not much choice.

Apparently the Nationals gave supplemental pick Brian Goodwin a $3 million bonus and the Pirates gave 2nd round pick Josh Bell $5 million which, if true, would be a record for a player not taken in the 1st round. So, I can't complain about the Reds giving Stephenson $2 million.

PuffyPig
08-16-2011, 10:57 AM
The whole idea of a "slot" has to be one of the most idiotic ideas anyone has come up with. Virtually every team had to go above slot in order to get their picks signed. And it seems as if the Reds, especially, had to go over slot to sign most of their picks. What's the point of a slot?

The Reds generally went over slot becuase players fell below where they would have been drafted except for signability issues.

Going over slot generally is a good thing, as it means you are getting better talent than the actual draft position.

gedred69
08-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Anyone have good info' on this guy? From the little bit that I have heard/read, I'm thinking maybe a Bailey type?

traderumor
08-16-2011, 02:08 PM
No major league contract this time.

R_Webb18
08-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Anyone have good info' on this guy? From the little bit that I have heard/read, I'm thinking maybe a Bailey type?

if guessin he will be able to get it up to 100 in few yrs

mth123
08-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Any early guesses on the timeline? When should we expect him in the Cincy rotation? I'm guessing 2016 or so.

puca
08-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Any early guesses on the timeline? When should we expect him in the Cincy rotation? I'm guessing 2016 or so.

Seriously?

He is still a long shot to ever make the major leagues, as is any HS pitcher.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2011, 03:39 PM
He is still a long shot to ever make the major leagues, as is any HS pitcher.

These days, a first-pick with the talent Stephenson has is not a long shot to make the bigs. If he stays healthy, he'll get there.

Sea Ray
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
These days, a first-pick with the talent Stephenson has is not a long shot to make the bigs. If he stays healthy, he'll get there.

That's an awfully big if. Ty Howington, Chris Gruler, even Brien Taylor for the Yankees. A ton of HS pitchers miss because of injury and it's not any easier to take

wlf WV
08-16-2011, 03:53 PM
No major league contract this time.Giving draft picks roster spots is something I wish MLB would stop.As I stated before it is very selfish. It seems it would benefit both the player's union and owners.

wlf WV
08-16-2011, 04:28 PM
No major league contract this time.Giving draft picks roster spots is something I wish MLB would stop.As I stated before it is very selfish. It seems it would benefit both the player's union and owners.

icehole3
08-16-2011, 05:23 PM
I love it that the Reds keep stocking the pipeline with pitching.

Bumper Sticker Idea.

"You Can Never Have To Much Pitching"

I agree 1000%, I would love to see the Reds draft 5 hard throwers with the first 5 picks in next years draft

traderumor
08-16-2011, 05:40 PM
That's an awfully big if. Ty Howington, Chris Gruler, even Brien Taylor for the Yankees. A ton of HS pitchers miss because of injury and it's not any easier to takeYour reaching pretty far back for Howington and Gruler. Homer is the only HS pitcher the Reds have taken with a first round pick in the modern era.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I would love to see the Reds draft 5 hard throwers with the first 5 picks in next years draft

Throwing hard matters little if that's all you can do.

Sea Ray
08-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Your reaching pretty far back for Howington and Gruler. Homer is the only HS pitcher the Reds have taken with a first round pick in the modern era.

If they haven't taken a pitcher other than Homer then I guess I have to go back to when they have. My point is that innuries with HS pitchers are common, not that the Reds have taken that risk often

Sea Ray
08-16-2011, 05:50 PM

I'm not so interested in flame throwers. A Tom Browning or a Bronson Arroyo is just fine with me and will likely be more durable than injury prone guys like Don Gullett and Homer Bailey

dougdirt
08-16-2011, 06:07 PM
If they haven't taken a pitcher other than Homer then I guess I have to go back to when they have. My point is that innuries with HS pitchers are common, not that the Reds have taken that risk often

It isn't limited to high schoolers. College guys get hurt all of the time too. This high school/college pitcher stuff is drastically overrated. Both pose a large injury risk because they throw a baseball for a living. In the last 10 years, the gap between high schoolers and college pitchers has closed. Teams are more cautious with high schoolers. They used to routinely just take them out of high school and throw them full seasons. Now, that never happens. The results are showing fewer injuries.

mth123
08-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Of course there are a lot of ifs involved. My point projecting 2016 was that even if everything goes right he's still 5 years away. Wonder what the Reds will look like then.

icehole3
08-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Im sure if its a top 5 pick the kid has more than just a fast ball :)

Sea Ray
08-16-2011, 07:51 PM
It isn't limited to high schoolers. College guys get hurt all of the time too. This high school/college pitcher stuff is drastically overrated. Both pose a large injury risk because they throw a baseball for a living. In the last 10 years, the gap between high schoolers and college pitchers has closed. Teams are more cautious with high schoolers. They used to routinely just take them out of high school and throw them full seasons. Now, that never happens. The results are showing fewer injuries.

I agree in that the main difference is that the college kids are older and thus have three years under their belts.

What about the factor of hard thrower vs junk baller? Does a Homer Baily or an Aroldis Chapman have a higher chance of being injured than a Mike Leake or a Bronson Arroyo. It seems to me that the physics of it would suggest that hard throwers are more at risk

camisadelgolf
08-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Draftees prefer to sign major league contracts for financial reasons (i.e. less taxes).

dougdirt
08-16-2011, 08:20 PM
I agree in that the main difference is that the college kids are older and thus have three years under their belts.

What about the factor of hard thrower vs junk baller? Does a Homer Baily or an Aroldis Chapman have a higher chance of being injured than a Mike Leake or a Bronson Arroyo. It seems to me that the physics of it would suggest that hard throwers are more at risk

I don't know that we have seen such a study, but lets be honest.... Mike Leake throws slightly softer than Homer Bailey. Yes, in the terms of Major Leaguers, Bailey is a harder thrower, but we are really only talking about a small difference.

Sea Ray
08-16-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm glad to have Aroldis Chapman on my team but I do wonder how long his body can stand the rigors of throwing 100+ MPH. I don't think it's coincidental that Rob Dibble had a much shorter career than John Franco

IslandRed
08-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Draftees prefer to sign major league contracts for financial reasons (i.e. less taxes).

That, and it limits the amount of time they can be stuck in the minor leagues. It's why players like those deals and teams are reluctant to give them. In practice, it's very rare for anyone outside the top few college players to get a major-league deal. Lower draftees don't have the leverage, and it makes no sense to give one to a prep player, because he'll be out of options when he's 22, 23 years old.

JKam
08-17-2011, 03:04 AM
I'm glad to have Aroldis Chapman on my team but I do wonder how long his body can stand the rigors of throwing 100+ MPH. I don't think it's coincidental that Rob Dibble had a much shorter career than John Franco

Yeah, but Chapman's delivery looks so smooth and effortless. It doesn't seem like he's putting a lot of effort when he's throwing. Dibble, on the other hand, was kind of herky jerky and it seemed like his delivery was maximum effort.

MikeS21
08-17-2011, 09:05 AM
The one thing I keep coming back to is that pitching coaches have said that the one thing they cannot teach is velocity. They can teach off speed pitches and breaking balls, but no one can teach a 95 mph fastball. That takes talent.

And if you go to MLB.com or ESPN and go to their sortable pitching stats, check out the top 25 pitchers in the stats of ERA, WHIP, and K/9. Those three stats will give you a feel for the top pitchers in the game this season (I know there are other stats that folks swear by, but the bottom line is that these three stats usually pick out the pitchers most gurus agree are top pitching talent in baseball). What you will find is that of the top 25 pitchers in baseball today, 20 of them will have fastball that will consistently hit 92-93 mph or higher (considered to be a little better than average if you take an 89-90 mph fastball as average).

muddie
08-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Yeah, but Chapman's delivery looks so smooth and effortless. It doesn't seem like he's putting a lot of effort when he's throwing. Dibble, on the other hand, was kind of herky jerky and it seemed like his delivery was maximum effort.

I agree. I think this is Chapman's natural velocity and don't I believe he is overworking his body to accomplish this.

corkedbat
08-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Not sure how many innings Stephenson has put oon his arm over the summer, but if it has been quite a few, I might work himm in relief for the rest of the AZL season, then let him participate in the Fall Instructional League.