PDA

View Full Version : Amir Garrett

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2011, 03:55 AM
Obviously, according to the experts, an enormous and unexpected sign.

But here's what I want to know...how is him playing SJU not an eligibility issue?? It's not like he's a junior playing basketball and joining the Reds next summer. Isn't Garrett accepting a cool mill before he starts SJU a conflict of interest for the university? Especially since St. John's has a baseball team? I realize the Reds minor league affiliates don't compete with college teams, but doesn't it seem a little strange?

Also, what if Garrett goes on to be a stud basketball player and devotes his career completely to the NBA? He's considered a top 100 recruit. Are the Reds out a mill? In theory, there's not a lot of overlap between the 2 sports, unless his NBA team makes the playoffs, but if they do, the Reds could lose him for a couple months of the season. Even though some of his statements suggest he loves baseball more than basketball, his actions (like putting down the baseball for an entire year) and his large desire to play basketball suggest it's likely more of a tossup.

I'm not trying to put the cart before the horse here, and I know he's considered a better baseball prospect than basketball (because of the larger field), but I feel like it's something worth discussing. It just seems like in today's sports world, there's just not enough time to devote when you're playing 2 sports professionally, especially if you plan to be a top tier player. Could the Reds end up losing out on a lot of valuable development time with him being so immersed in basketball?

redsmetz
08-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Might this not be similar to Adam Dunn's situation? Ultimately, as I recall, after Dunn's 1st or 2nd season as a pro baseball player, we upped his pay to give up college football? Granted, he was less than pleased that Texas(?) wanted to move him out of the QB slot, and that played a part too, but I wonder if the same thing couldn't happen here.

Someone commented somewhere that his signing bonus is spread out over five years. Wonder if there is language there that could lessen the blow should he move on to a pro basketball career. That's just conjecture on my part there.

Will M
08-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Danny Ainge played basketball at BYU while playing baseball in the minors for the Blue Jays. eventually he gave up baseball & had a very nice NBA career.

gefootball10
08-16-2011, 05:34 AM
NCAA eligibility is a sport by sport basis. He's no longer able to play collegiate baseball but basketball he's fine.

FireDusty
08-16-2011, 07:28 AM
I did not expect that we'd get this guy signed.

We have to hope that he's not an NBA Caliber player. However, with the mess that is the NBA right now and the impending reduction in salaries, this may play directly into the hands of the Reds.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2011, 08:45 AM
High ceiling arm. Reds need to take chances on players like this now and then. It's research and development -- occasionally you hit on something that pays off big, while much is discarded.

Kid has a very interesting profile, obviously. Will make St John's hoops something to see this winter for us Reds fans.

dougdirt
08-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Just another reason why the NCAA is so stupid. Garrett can get a million bucks to play baseball and still play college basketball, but Jeremy Bloom couldn't play football because the US Olympic team wanted him to ski for them and even though they wouldn't pay him, because sponsors pay for their training, he couldn't do it. The NCAA is a complete joke.

FireDusty
08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Just another reason why the NCAA is so stupid. Garrett can get a million bucks to play baseball and still play college basketball, but Jeremy Bloom couldn't play football because the US Olympic team wanted him to ski for them and even though they wouldn't pay him, because sponsors pay for their training, he couldn't do it. The NCAA is a complete joke.

This

CySeymour
08-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Totally agree, Doug.

Orenda
08-16-2011, 03:02 PM
He should transfer to one of the area schools, he''s part of a stocked incoming recruiting class at St. Johns and he might not get the minutes he's looking for. AT UC, XU, or even Dayton he would probably be looking at more playing time and he wouldn't have to travel far to work with the Reds' instructors.

MikeS21
08-16-2011, 03:12 PM
He should transfer to one of the area schools, he''s part of a stocked incoming recruiting class at St. Johns and he might not get the minutes he's looking for. AT UC, XU, or even Dayton he would probably be looking at more playing time and he wouldn't have to travel far to work with the Reds' instructors.
Shhhhh! Less playing time means less exposure to NBA teams come draft time. Then when his college days are done, he focuses solely on baseball. ;)

IslandRed
08-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Based on where he is in his baseball career right now, he'd need to transfer to Arizona State. :p The Reds' instructional staff (apart from the actual coaching staffs of the minor league franchises) is Goodyear-based.

Edd Roush
08-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Based on where he is in his baseball career right now, he'd need to transfer to Arizona State. :p The Reds' instructional staff (apart from the actual coaching staffs of the minor league franchises) is Goodyear-based.

That being said, he would be welcomed with wide arms at the University of Dayton. Archie Miller has already brought in two good transfers (Vee Sanford from Georgetown and Matt Derenbecker from LSU) since arriving this spring and Amir Garrett would be a great addition in the post.

This post is getting off topic, though. I am very excited that he is a part of the system and hopefully he has a good work ethic to learn two sports at a high level. He is certainly projectable.

Cincy10
08-16-2011, 04:15 PM
That being said, he would be welcomed with wide arms at the University of Dayton. Archie Miller has already brought in two good transfers (Vee Sanford from Georgetown and Matt Derenbecker from LSU) since arriving this spring and Amir Garrett would be a great addition in the post.

This post is getting off topic, though. I am very excited that he is a part of the system and hopefully he has a good work ethic to learn two sports at a high level. He is certainly projectable.

If you think Matt Derenbecker is a good addition something is wrong with you. Sorry, but Dayton is pretty bad. Go X. Does Jimmy Carter ring a bell for you?

Edd Roush
08-16-2011, 04:51 PM
If you think Matt Derenbecker is a good addition something is wrong with you. Sorry, but Dayton is pretty bad. Go X. Does Jimmy Carter ring a bell for you?

Derenbecker was a consensus Top-100 recruit out of high school. Matt was a two time Gatorade Player of the Year in Louisiana. He is a good recruit for Dayton, and would be a good recruit for X.

As for UD's prospects next year, it would take a lot of luck to break the Carter streak next year. However, when that streak is eventually broken, Archie will reach immortal status. I just hope Archie can win a few more conference games than BG and UD can hope to get back on Xavier's level.

Blitz Dorsey
08-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Yep, very strange reasoning. Either you're an amateur athlete or you're not IMO. You can't say "Well, this guy can still be an NCAA basketball player even though he got paid a million dollars to play pro baseball; but that guy can't be an NCAA football player because he was a professional skier."

dougdirt
08-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Yep, very strange reasoning. Either you're an amateur athlete or you're not IMO. You can't say "Well, this guy can still be an NCAA basketball player even though he got paid a million dollars to play pro baseball; but that guy can't be an NCAA football player because he was a professional skier."

I heard on Mike and Mike that the reasoning is that in other sports you are drawing a paycheck. So its considered a job. Where as with say, an olympic athlete, you aren't getting paid, someone is sponsoring you and that is a no no. Stupid logic. But someone said that was the reasoning.

IslandRed
08-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah, that's basically it. It wasn't that they set out to hose Jeremy Bloom, they were just backed into a corner because their rule said athletes can't do endorsements and it had no flexibility for exceptions. 99.9% of the time, that rule's fine and dandy as a defense against extra-benefit end runs. It's just that in Bloom's case, that's how skiers get paid.

The DARK
08-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Does Garrett project as a starter or reliever? In the scouting report I saw, both his off-speed pitches were referred to as below average.

MikeS21
08-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Does Garrett project as a starter or reliever? In the scouting report I saw, both his off-speed pitches were referred to as below average.
That's not unusual for a raw prospect like Garret. Off speed pitches can be polished and improved. If he's got a 95 mph fastball, well, they can't teach that.

nemesis
08-20-2011, 12:54 AM
That's not unusual for a raw prospect like Garret. Off speed pitches can be polished and improved. If he's got a 95 mph fastball, well, they can't teach that.

Yep, teach that man a change up and a cut fastball... I'd groom him as a starter.

JKam
08-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Here are three videos of Amir Garret. Two of the videos are basketball highlights and one shows him pitching. You have to scroll down about half way down the page.

Videos half way down the page (http://philaphans.com/sixers/2011/08/26/news-notes-quotes-day-7-of-22-days-of-toney/)

I know more about basketball than baseball, but the guy looks like he has a bright future in basketball.