PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 8/15

chicoruiz
08-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Lots of Reds today, and lots of nicknames you really wouldn't want hung on you:

Reds:

Ben Kozlowski (31) I don't beleive he ever actually took the mound for the Reds, but hey, it's my list... Traded for Cody Ross, who unfortunately we didn't have sense enough to keep.

Ryan Hanigan (31) One of my favorite current Reds- Happy Birthday, Ryan...

Damian Jackson (38) Hitting at the major league level is probably the hardest thing to do in sports, as witness all the guys who are obviously great athletes and still can't do it.

Steve Foster (45) Career cut short by injury; 2.41 ERA in 89 innings.

Xavier Hernandez (46)

Donnie Scott (51) Best known as a minor league manager.

Puddin' Head Jones- Remembered mostly as the third baseman for the Whiz Kid Phillies. Embarrassing Nickname #1...

Others:

Daric Barton (26)

Fats Fothergill- Embarrassing Nickname #2

Baby Doll Jacobson- Embarrassing Nickname #3; he was 6'3" and 215, so one suspects there might be some irony at work in the nickname. Like many guys who played for now-defunct franchises, he's pretty much forgotten now, but in his day he was really good. The Browns outfield of Jacobson, Jack Tobin and Ken Williams was one of the best of their times, although their home park goosed their stats up.

08-16-2011, 12:13 PM
I believe today is the 16th ;)

And I believe Damian Jackson was the guy who almost ended Sean Casey's Reds career before it even started, when he hit Casey in the eye with an errant throw during batting practice.

Bob Borkowski
08-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Reds:

Puddin' Head Jones- Remembered mostly as the third baseman for the Whiz Kid Phillies. Embarrassing Nickname #1...

Another member of the Whiz Kids who spent time with Cincy was catcher Andy Seminick during several early-50s seasons. As a kid I thought it was kind of an honor to have him as part of the Reds...those teams were pretty bad.