PDA

View Full Version : Just thought of something regarding the Nats...

Redsfan320
08-16-2011, 06:41 PM
They have All-Star RF Jayson Werth under contract for several more years.
They have #1 overall pick RF Bryce Harper within (IMO) a year of making the Bigs.
What gives?
My feeling is that Harper is gonna be a starting player, and be given every chance to succeed, period. So what, do they trade Werth? Why did they sign him in the 1st place to such a big contract when they have Harper of all players coming up quickly through the minors? Did they think they had a shot to win this year??

However, with all the young talent, and Strasburg and Harper on the way, they could be a real threat pretty soon.

Mario-Rijo
08-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Somebody will be playing LF, probably Werth.

1990REDS
08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Somebody will be playing LF, probably Werth.

But what about Gomes?:)

CTA513
08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
But what about Gomes?:)

Gomes to 3B and Zimmerman to the bench

:D

mth123
08-16-2011, 07:37 PM
The Nats could be a force as soon as 2012 (more likely 2013). If they could acquire a lead-off type for CF or SS they may have the best line-up in the NL. Add some arms for the back of the rotation and pen and they could be in business soon.

(Of course the pitchers are still iffy so they would need to pan out.)

Acquisition CF
Espinosa 2B
R. Zimmerman 3B
Harper RF
Werth LF
Morse 1B
Ramos C
Desmond SS

Strasburg
J. Zimmerman
Lannan
Detwiler
L. Hernandez

Clippard
Storen

AtomicDumpling
08-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Don't forget Rendon and Purke. Both are super prospects and they will be up about the same time as Harper.

Dan
08-17-2011, 06:52 AM
It's amazing how much talent gets infused into the system once Jim Bowden is ousted from the GM chair.

cumberlandreds
08-17-2011, 07:39 AM
The Nats are certainly coming. After finally getting an owner they have done it the right way. They have/are building an excellent farm system that is already paying dividends. That Werth contract could be a big albatross around their neck for the the future.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Imagine if they could pick up CC this off-season...

mdccclxix
08-17-2011, 09:29 AM
It's amazing how much talent gets infused into the system once Jim Bowden is ousted from the GM chair.

High draft picks for several years and improved scouting, it's a double whammy! :laugh:

mdccclxix
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
The Nats could be a force as soon as 2012 (more likely 2013). If they could acquire a lead-off type for CF or SS they may have the best line-up in the NL. Add some arms for the back of the rotation and pen and they could be in business soon.

(Of course the pitchers are still iffy so they would need to pan out.)

Acquisition CF
Espinosa 2B
R. Zimmerman 3B
Harper RF
Werth LF
Morse 1B
Ramos C
Desmond SS

Strasburg
J. Zimmerman
Lannan
Detwiler
L. Hernandez

Clippard
Storen

In my dreams:

Stubbs CF
Espinosa 2B
Aquisition 3B
Harper RF
Werth LF
Votto 1B
Ramos C
Desmond SS

Strasburg
J. Zimmerman
Lannan
Detwiler
L. Hernandez

Clippard

Reds acquire Zimmerman and Storen for Votto and Stubbs.

bucksfan2
08-17-2011, 09:59 AM

You mean you were so bad that you got the #1 pick with two generational type players? Was it the departure of Bowden or being the worst team two years in a row to land Strasburg and Harper? Also was it under Bowden that the team didn't sign Crow and got another top 10 pick the next season?

Ghosts of 1990
08-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Werth to LF, Harper will play right.

traderumor
08-17-2011, 12:38 PM
You mean you were so bad that you got the #1 pick with two generational type players? Was it the departure of Bowden or being the worst team two years in a row to land Strasburg and Harper? Also was it under Bowden that the team didn't sign Crow and got another top 10 pick the next season?Aren't you proving the point? So Bowden's ineptness led to #1 picks two years running. Sort of like his ineptness in Cincy helped us to consecutive top 10 picks like Bruce and Stubbs. Of course, O'Brien made his contribution, but he was merely smearing around the crap that Bowden had laid.

bucksfan2
08-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Aren't you proving the point? So Bowden's ineptness led to #1 picks two years running. Sort of like his ineptness in Cincy helped us to consecutive top 10 picks like Bruce and Stubbs. Of course, O'Brien made his contribution, but he was merely smearing around the crap that Bowden had laid.

I don't know. Its much easier to build a team around top tier draft picks, especially when you get them when generational type talents are there for your picking.

As for Bowden's ineptitude its a good question. Was it his fault the team was in shambles when he was appointed GM? Was it his fault that the team was playing in a football stadium and could attract good FA's? Was it his fault that ownership was inept?

There are a lot of things that Bowden did poorly as a GM and IMO a lot of that has to do with his own ego. But I don't think he could have screwed up handing Bud Selig cards with Strasburg and Harper written on them.

traderumor
08-17-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't know. Its much easier to build a team around top tier draft picks, especially when you get them when generational type talents are there for your picking.

As for Bowden's ineptitude its a good question. Was it his fault the team was in shambles when he was appointed GM? Was it his fault that the team was playing in a football stadium and could attract good FA's? Was it his fault that ownership was inept?

There are a lot of things that Bowden did poorly as a GM and IMO a lot of that has to do with his own ego. But I don't think he could have screwed up handing Bud Selig cards with Strasburg and Harper written on them.I'd say Boy Wonder's track record with two different runs as GM makes his evaluation pretty easy. He just isn't a good baseball GM. He might make someone a good Asst. GM, but with his baggage, I don't know why a team would give him a chance to even do that. If they do, they better put up the kitchen knives and keep him out of Latin America.

Scrap Irony
08-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Were I Jocketty, I'd look to deal a package of Stubbs and two of Bailey/Wood/Leake/Volquez for a Rendon or a Purke (as a PTBNL), Tom Milone (underrated AAA pitching prospect with good perephials and control), and Jordan Zimmerman.

Reds grab a nice TOR arm (perhaps two) and prospects at the cost of an exceptional CF and a couple of questionable (but major league) arms. IMO, works for both teams.

Benihana
08-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Were I Jocketty, I'd look to deal a package of Stubbs and two of Bailey/Wood/Leake/Volquez for a Rendon or a Purke (as a PTBNL), Tom Milone (underrated AAA pitching prospect with good perephials and control), and Jordan Zimmerman.

Reds grab a nice TOR arm (perhaps two) and prospects at the cost of an exceptional CF and a couple of questionable (but major league) arms. IMO, works for both teams.

I like the idea of looking at Rendon. If his 2B experiment doesn't start off so well, I'd love to put a package together to take him off of their hands. He could potentially be starting in GAB as early as 2013.

I wouldn't give up Stubbs + two SP though. Maybe an Alonso for Rendon swap could work if Rendon has a very strong debut over the next year.

Scrap Irony
08-17-2011, 04:11 PM
If the Nats were willing, I'd do that deal now, Beni, with Rendon as a PTBNL.

nate
08-17-2011, 08:52 PM
At a casual glance, I thought this thread was about me.

Carry on!