PDA

View Full Version : Can Alonso Make It At Third?

Krusty
08-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Just wonder if you think Alonso could make it an average third baseman defensively? Dusty Baker said not everyone is Pete Rose but Alonso has played the position before in college. So do you think he could make it defensively as a third baseman?

mdccclxix
08-17-2011, 09:18 AM
According to U of Miami, Alonso never played a game at 3b. I'd say it's a long shot.

cumberlandreds
08-17-2011, 09:21 AM
When I picture Alonso at 3rd base I see Johnny Bench standing there like a statue. I just can't see this going well.

George Anderson
08-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Give him a chance but the odds are very much against him.

To many people think MLB players can move around positions like they are playing in a Wednesday night softball league.

PuffyPig
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
I've not seen him play third, so I don't know. Is that one fo the choices?

chicoruiz
08-17-2011, 09:40 AM
I haven't seen anything that indicates that his hands are or aren't bad. His problems in the outfield seem to be mostly judging fly balls, which is what you'd expect with his lack of experience. Third base is more react than think; it's a totally different skill set.

AtomicDumpling
08-17-2011, 02:14 PM
I haven't seen anything that indicates that his hands are or aren't bad. His problems in the outfield seem to be mostly judging fly balls, which is what you'd expect with his lack of experience. Third base is more react than think; it's a totally different skill set.

Yeah I agree. His misadventures in left field don't prove he couldn't play third base. If he proves unable to handle third base it won't be because of "hands of stone", it will be due to a lack of mobility or a poor throwing arm. The biggest difference between playing first base (which he can do) and third base is the long throw. It requires a strong, accurate arm and a quick release.

jojo
08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm not confident that Alonso can stick at any position that requires he wear leather. I'm pretty sure that he'll hit major league pitchers though.

CTA513
08-17-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm not confident that Alonso can stick at any position that requires he wear leather. I'm pretty sure that he'll hit major league pitchers though.

:thumbup:

Unassisted
08-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I'd like to see him try. It's an area where the Reds have a need and they could use his bat in the lineup.

Reds1
08-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Where's the IDK choice since we haven't had a look at him. That's my vote. Give him a month there and see what he can do.

Scrap Irony
08-17-2011, 03:41 PM

This.

He's an average to below average 1B right now.

OTOH, 1B and 3B are similar in reaction time, range, and quickness/ speed.

His arm has always been considered adequate and seems to be strong enough. (Though it seems that 3B is once again turning into a defense-first position, as it was for the first 100 years baseball was played.)

It's worth a shot (as was the LF experiment). If he can pull a Tony Perez or a Pete Rose, it'll be worth it. If not, he can always be dealt. There's nothing to lose in trying. (Though I'd probably wait for September to roll around before trying it consistently to give him more time.)

camisadelgolf
08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I said no, but I think his hands are fine. It's his feet I worry about.

icehole3
08-17-2011, 06:25 PM
I love how the Reds have developed this kid :(

dougdirt
08-17-2011, 06:26 PM

I honestly get the feeling that everyone in the Reds organization is on the same page except the manger.

edabbs44
08-17-2011, 06:39 PM

What exactly have they done wrong?

kaldaniels
08-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I honestly get the feeling that everyone in the Reds organization is on the same page except the manger.

I asked others earlier in another thread but it got brushed aside by other stuff...but what do you see happening with Dusty after the season. I gather you want him gone, but what do you think will actually happen?

dougdirt
08-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I asked others earlier in another thread but it got brushed aside by other stuff...but what do you see happening with Dusty after the season. I gather you want him gone, but what do you think will actually happen?
I don't know. I don't want him managing my favorite team. Never have. But I don't have a clue as to the inner workings of the Reds front office and how they feel about Dusty and his style, control of the team and paying him a bunch of money to not manage.

Redhook
08-17-2011, 07:41 PM
0% chance he can play third at an adequate level. None, zero, zilcho.

savafan
08-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Defensively, I see him a lot like an Albert Pujols. Just going by my eye though, no stats to back that statement up, so it'll probably be challenged. That said, I think he could do it to get his bat in the lineup.

mth123
08-17-2011, 07:59 PM
I think a couple of weeks of Alonso at 3B will have us longing for the good old days when EdE was a relative defensive wizard there. Or maybe some of us older guys would long for Dan Driessen at 3B. Playing a bat out of position at 3B is a reds tradition that includes Deron Johnson and Reds immortals Tony Perez, Pete Rose and Johnny Bench.

Personally, I thought Javy Valentin looked better there than a lot of guys who have played 3B in Cincy over the years. I still imagine that Alonso will be the worst of them all.

Chip R
08-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I think a couple of weeks of Alonso at 3B will have us longing for the good old days when EdE was a relative defensive wizard there. Or maybe some of us older guys would long for Dan Driessen at 3B. Playing a bat out of position at 3B is a reds tradition that includes Deron Johnson and Reds immortals Tony Perez, Pete Rose and Johnny Bench.

I think you're right. 3rd isn't just about reaction and quickness. It's just as much about agility. Can you actually see Yonder field a slow roller up the 3rd base line and make an accurate, strong, off-balance throw to 1st? Can you see him going 30-40 feet behind him in foul territory to catch a pop-up that the LF and SS can't quite reach?

Personally, I thought Javy Valentin looked better there than a lot of guys who have played 3B in Cincy over the years. I still imagine that Alonso will be the worst of them all.

Oh, Javy, how I miss you. :luvu:

bucksfan2
08-18-2011, 11:05 AM

What did you want the Reds to do? They are doing everything they can think of to get him into the order. He isn't going to supplant Votto at 1b so what else can they do? He has been a butcher in LF and apparently the Reds petition to DH him for Paul Janish was denied.

dougdirt
08-18-2011, 01:37 PM
What did you want the Reds to do? They are doing everything they can think of to get him into the order. He isn't going to supplant Votto at 1b so what else can they do? He has been a butcher in LF and apparently the Reds petition to DH him for Paul Janish was denied.

I would like the Reds to tell Votto he is playing left field.... but they won't.So I would like Walt to tell Dusty that Alonso is playing left field 4-5 times a week. But, he won't. So essentially I am just going to be disappointed with the handling of Alonso the rest of the season.

osuceltic
08-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I would like the Reds to tell Votto he is playing left field.... but they won't.So I would like Walt to tell Dusty that Alonso is playing left field 4-5 times a week. But, he won't. So essentially I am just going to be disappointed with the handling of Alonso the rest of the season.

The idea of telling Votto to play left field is laughable.

dougdirt
08-18-2011, 01:51 PM
The idea of telling Votto to play left field is laughable.
You are right, but only because he has made it painfully obvious the last year and a half that he wants absolutely nothing to do with it.

It would make the team better. Votto in left and Alonso at first is far and away the most optimal situation that the Reds can put on the field at those positions.

HokieRed
08-18-2011, 02:11 PM
If Votto truly wants to win, it ought to be obvious to him that the lineup most likely to accomplish that will be one in which he is in LF and Alonso is at 1b. That said, I don't think it's incumbent on Votto to make the move. It has to be purely his own call. He's earned that. I just keep hoping that he'll decide to make the switch--in large part, because I continue to think Alonso can be more than just acceptable. I think he can be very very good.