PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday 8-17-11 Minor League Games

batsfan
08-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Bats are winning 5 - 1 on home runs by Francisco and Phipps. All season, there has been a team-wide problem of losing grip of the bat and throwing it in to the stands, and that has happened four times already today: once by Miller and Phipps and twice by Costanzo!

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Bats up 7-4 now in the bottom of the 8th. Gil pitching.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Costanzo homered in Phipps in the top of the 8th to push the margin back to 3.

By the way, Phipps is now batting .361 in Louisville.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 04:49 PM
No Mesoraco today and Volquez did start this game.

Volquez' line is 6 1/3 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 3ER, 1 BB, 6 K

Love the 6:1 K:BB ratio. Volquez' Lousiville ERA is now "up" to 2.29.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 04:51 PM
So Gil came into the 8th with a runner and second and one out and got out of the inning without giving up any runs.

Heading to the 9th in Louisville its Bats 7 and Indians 4.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Griffin grounds out to third to lead-off the ninth.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Danny Dorn homers to open up the lead to 8 4. Negron follows up with a line out to second. Valiaka up to the plate.

batsfan
08-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Dorn HR makes it 8 - 4 Bats going to the bottom of the ninth.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Valaika grounds out. A 1 for 5 for him today. Continuing a disappointing season.

Gil staying in to pitch the ninth.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Gil gets the first two batters to ground out in the ninth.

Only one more out for the W.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Gil K's D'Arnaud and now the Bats have the same record (65-61) as the Indians.

Question for those who know more than me. What are the Bats' playoff chances looking like?

mace
08-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm certainly ready to see Francisco in Cincinnati. I can understand that they've delayed it in light of his injury and rehab, but he definitely appears to be in the swing of things now. His fielding is apparently improved, he's hitting .300, his power is well-documented, there's a void at third base . . .

That said, I don't have an easy recommendation on who to demote in his place. Frazier, possibly--then bring him back up in September. Or, I guess they might as well send Alonso back down if he's not going to start anywhere. Or release Lewis. At any rate, it's time to see what Francisco can do on a semi-regular basis.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm certainly ready to see Francisco in Cincinnati. I can understand that they've delayed it in light of his injury and rehab, but he definitely appears to be in the swing of things now. His fielding is apparently improved, he's hitting .300, his power is well-documented, there's a void at third base . . .

That said, I don't have an easy recommendation on who to demote in his place. Frazier, possibly--then bring him back up in September. Or, I guess they might as well send Alonso back down if he's not going to start anywhere. Or release Lewis. At any rate, it's time to see what Francisco can do on a semi-regular basis.

You think Francisco has a better chance of being the Reds' 3B of the future than Frazier? I think I have always liked Frazier more due to his better eye. I think Frazier warrants all of the playing time until the end of the year.

batsfan
08-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Gil K's D'Arnaud and now the Bats have the same record (65-61) as the Indians.

Question for those who know more than me. What are the Bats' playoff chances looking like?

Unlikely but not impossible. The division is out of the question. If the Iron Pigs lose tonight, they will be tied for third in the wild card 5 behind the Iron Pigs. They have a four game home series with them next week, so it is possible to pass them if we stay hot, but Gwinett is still ahead of us, so they would have to get cold.

mace
08-17-2011, 05:25 PM
You think Francisco has a better chance of being the Reds' 3B of the future than Frazier? I think I have always liked Frazier more due to his better eye. I think Frazier warrants all of the playing time until the end of the year.

There's always going to be a debate about Francisco. He's divisive. I actually like both of them, but Francisco has a bigger upside and he's the one running out of opportunities. For him, it's simply time. My ideal situation would be to platoon them from here on out. Of course, that would give Francisco most of the ABs, but Frazier could also play some LF and a little 1B. (That said, Cairo has in no way disqualified himself. It's just that this team needs to make some important decisions going forward.)

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Unlikely but not impossible. The division is out of the question. If the Iron Pigs lose tonight, they will be tied for third in the wild card 5 behind the Iron Pigs. They have a four game home series with them next week, so it is possible to pass them if we stay hot, but Gwinett is still ahead of us, so they would have to get cold.

Thanks for the info. Let's hope the Bats get hot at the right time.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 05:30 PM
There's always going to be a debate about Francisco. He's divisive. I actually like both of them, but Francisco has a bigger upside and he's the one running out of opportunities. For him, it's simply time. My ideal situation would be to platoon them from here on out. Of course, that would give Francisco most of the ABs, but Frazier could also play some LF and a little 1B. (That said, Cairo has in no way disqualified himself. It's just that this team needs to make some important decisions going forward.)

I see your line of thinking and don't completely disagree with it. I just want the Reds to audition as many players as they can right now. I wish Mes was up getting the bulk of the starts at C to see if he is ready for the bigs by Opening Day. I understand that would hamper the Bats chances of making the playoffs, but it is in the best interest of Mesoraco and the Reds.

Also, Sappelt needs to continue starting every day in left and leading off. I don't care how bad his stats are now in this small sample size. I wish he would be a little more patient though.

mace
08-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Carolina (Joseph) lost in the ninth, 7-6.

Campbell homered again, #10 for the Mudcats and #19 on the season. We need a "like" button.

Edd Roush
08-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Carolina (Joseph) lost in the ninth, 7-6.

Joseph will certainly fall a lot in our Redszone prospect ratings this off-season. Disappointing.

Benihana
08-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Why not give Frazier & Francisco or Frazier & Alonso a righty-lefty platoon at 3B for the rest of the year? Whichever one is not part of that platoon (Francisco or Alonso) should be in a platoon with Sappelt in LF. Heisey is a 4th OF, and a great one at that.

It is high time to figure out what they have with these guys. I want to see at least two of Frazier, Francisco, Sappelt and Alonso starting every day for the Reds from now until the end of the season.

muddie
08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm still on board with Campbell. He did commit his fifth error last night on a throw but he is getting some at bats and I would hope he is the starting 3B at Pensacola next year. Rhinehart was o'fer today but sits at .333. I want to see him starting for Pensacola as well next year. This was a really nice addition up by Walt.

Two games in a row Carolina loses in the ninth. This has been a pretty interesting team this year but the pitching has never been there. DJ walked three batters in 1.1 innings today. Carolina has been planted in last place pretty much out of the gate this year in Southern League standings as far as pitching goes. That continues as they are almost a full run per game more than the ninth place team with a team 5.11 ERA.

mace
08-17-2011, 07:01 PM
While the pitching stinks, Carolina has actually put together a pretty good and interesting lineup. A lot of the guys are veteran minor-leaguers the organization has picked up in the past year or so, but some of them seem to be players: Campbell, Rhinehart, Berry, maybe even Skelton. Mix those guys with Soto, Grandal, Puckett, Gregorius, Rojas and Rodriguez, and I'd venture to say that the Mudcats' lineup these days is more compelling than Louisville's. Obviously, the Bats have Mesoraco and Francisco going for them, and Phipps--who's not far removed from Carolina--but by and large, Carolina has become every bit as watchable, offensively.

muddie
08-17-2011, 07:47 PM
While the pitching stinks, Carolina has actually put together a pretty good and interesting lineup. A lot of the guys are veteran minor-leaguers the organization has picked up in the past year or so, but some of them seem to be players: Campbell, Rhinehart, Berry, maybe even Skelton. Mix those guys with Soto, Grandal, Puckett, Gregorius, Rojas and Rodriguez, and I'd venture to say that the Mudcats' lineup these days is more compelling than Louisville's. Obviously, the Bats have Mesoraco and Francisco going for them, and Phipps--who's not far removed from Carolina--but by and large, Carolina has become every bit as watchable, offensively.

Totally agree mace. At the end of this three year affiliation I have to say that we have never really had a very good 'team,' per se. However, I look at the lineups in Louisville and Cincy and there are so many players that came through here that have moved up and made impacts at the next level. Phipps is the latest to impress, and boy how! Offensively this team is interesting. With any upgrade in pitching I believe Carolina could have made the playoffs this year. Hotchkiss and Fairel being gone didn't help either. The AA Reds club should be interesting next year.

mace
08-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Dayton leads 5-1 in the eighth while outhitting Great Lakes 15-2. Torreyes has three of those, and two each for Hamilton, Vidal, Duran and Barnhart. Josh Smith gave up the two hits in six innings, walking one and fanning eight.

mace
08-17-2011, 11:49 PM
After hitting .346 for the AZL Reds, Juan Perez is making his Billings debut tonight. He's 1-3 leading off and playing SS. Billings leads 6-2 in the fifth with Guillon pitching. He hasn't walked anybody.

partisan
08-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Dayton leads 5-1 in the eighth while outhitting Great Lakes 15-2. Torreyes has three of those, and two each for Hamilton, Vidal, Duran and Barnhart. Josh Smith gave up the two hits in six innings, walking one and fanning eight.

It's nice to see Duran in that list. I remember being impressed by his size at the first game I went to this year, but it seems like he has way too much trouble making contact.

dougdirt
08-18-2011, 12:55 AM
After hitting .346 for the AZL Reds, Juan Perez is making his Billings debut tonight. He's 1-3 leading off and playing SS. Billings leads 6-2 in the fifth with Guillon pitching. He hasn't walked anybody.

Can't wait to watch this game on Milb.tv at some point this weekend. It will be my first time getting a look at both guys. Excited to see Guillon. Tonight was one of his best games of the season, so I am hoping to see him flash some of that pure stuff.

mace
08-18-2011, 01:05 AM
It was an odd (but much better) line that Guillon finished with: 5 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 2 HR. Billings won 6-3 in spite of being outhit 11-7.

mace
08-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Sulbaran only lasted 1.2 innings. Bakersfield trails 8-2 after five.

Edd Roush
08-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Bakersfield ended up getting crushed 10-2 despite outhitting Visalia 10-9. Sulbaran went 1 2/3 giving up 7 runs, 6 of them being earned on 7 hits and 2 walks. Of the five outs he did record, two of them came via the strikeout. Shunick gave up the other three runs balooning his ERA to 2.14. Greene and Buchholz had two hits and every other starter but Wideman had one. Lohman's hit was a triple and Means' was a double.

Edd Roush
08-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Dayton went on to win 5 to 1 surrendering only two hits all game. Josh Smith with another magnificent start 6.0 IP 2 H 1 R 1 ER 1 BB 8 K 1 HR 3.09 ERA for the year. One of Torreyes's 3 aforementioned hits was a double bringing his BA up to .361. Billy drew a walk in addition to his two hits and swiped his 81st bag of the year.

Edd Roush
08-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Billy now has a .342 OBP in August after a .406 OBP in July. His season OBP is now up to .323. Certainly progress from his low early season numbers. Let's hope he stays hot through the rest of the year.

The DARK
08-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Billy now has a .342 OBP in August after a .406 OBP in July. His season OBP is now up to .323. Certainly progress from his low early season numbers. Let's hope he stays hot through the rest of the year.

I'm encouraged. He's in a pitcher's league right now, so producing that kind of OBP from the leadoff spot with his speed is a valuable asset for any team.

maniem
08-18-2011, 05:04 PM
No Mesoraco today and Volquez did start this game.

Volquez' line is 6 1/3 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 3ER, 1 BB, 6 K

Love the 6:1 K:BB ratio. Volquez' Lousiville ERA is now "up" to 2.29.

Went to Tuesday and Wednesday's games, and while it wasn't a bad game for Volquez, he seemed pretty hittable. His velocity seemed a bit down, i only remember seeing him touch 94 a few times. Most of the game he seemed to be around the 91 mark. 10 H in 6 1/3 innings is a lot against a Triple A team. Still wonder if he'll ever see a Reds uniform again.

As for Francisco, he hit two line drive shots that got out in a hurry. Very impressive power, but that's pretty obvious. His defense seemed adequate, as he handled everything that came to him. The Reds should platoon him with Frazier.

Phipps impressed me, he hit the ball hard both games and seems to have decent speed. I know nothing about this guy, did he recently get called up from Carolina to take Sappelt's spot?