PDA

View Full Version : This is why I think Chris Welsh is awesome...

Redlegs
08-17-2011, 10:00 PM
George Grande talking about Todd Coffey....

George: "He's worked hard to get his weight back down. At one time he was over 300 pounds."

Chris: "Well give me a county fair estimate of what he is right now."

wlf WV
08-17-2011, 11:42 PM
I got used to them,to me they're the perfect pair.I guess it's like they say you can't get above your raising.

Matt700wlw
08-18-2011, 12:03 AM
I've not heard a lot of Grande, at least consistantly, in many years (working at the station, running the games, and not having cable, etc....)

Good guy...but, man. He annoys me. I know Marty's "bitterness" gets to people, but sorry, I'll take his straight edge approach over George's approach anyday.

George does have a GREAT baseball voice though. Very soothing, and very conversational...

Since Chris is the topic here (ooops, sorry)....I like Chris. He does a good job :)

paintmered
08-18-2011, 12:54 AM
I enjoy it when Chris and Thom are in the booth together because if you're listening for it, you can catch undertones of Chris's total lack of respect towards Thom's baseball knowledge. Listen for it the next time Thom pontificates about a player having a bad approach. It offends Chris on so many levels (primarily that Thom never played the game). There's only so many ways for Chris to disagree with some of the things Thom says without outright calling him an idiot. And I think Chris ran out of them two years ago.

Anyways, I'm a big fan of Chris. And while I neither liked nor disliked George, Chris became a much better color guy when George retired. His hint of dry snark resonates with my sense of humor, he understands the game more than he lets on, and he has a good voice for the job.

Caveat Emperor
08-18-2011, 01:17 AM
It's painfully evident from listening to the broadcasts that Chris dislikes Thom. They've actually had a few pretty testy on-air exchanges in the past.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-18-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm so confused as to who's going to be doing a particular game every time I turn it on. Is there any other team in baseball that has so many announcers? It's silly.

traderumor
08-18-2011, 08:46 AM
While I appreciate that Welsh may know a few things about pitching, his pontifications on hitting mechanics is misplaced. Oh, and wanting power hitters to lay bunts down all the time when the shift is on.

traderumor
08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm so confused as to who's going to be doing a particular game every time I turn it on. Is there any other team in baseball that has so many announcers? It's silly.They're using part-time workers so they don't have to give them benefits ;)

oneupper
08-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Welsh is very good, confirmed by the fact that this very demanding board has him in high esteem (how about a poll? Approval ratings are all the rage these days).

If he were a ballplayer we'd be worried about losing him to a bigger market team.
Not sure how the free agent market for announcers works, but could that happen?
Should the REDS offer arbitration?

BCubb2003
08-18-2011, 10:07 AM
I'll never forgive him for "home runs are rally killers" but I think he's underrated and one of the better analysts.

Mario-Rijo
08-18-2011, 10:43 AM
He's gotten alot better the past few years personally I think it coincided with him reading RZ. I don't know with certainty he does but just listen to what he says, how he says it and when he says it, that is RZ speak my friend. Welsh, your welcome! :laugh:

Ghosts of 1990
08-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I like Welsh's sense of humor. I also miss Grande in a strange sort of way. Thom B. is alright; but sometimes his critical calling of the play is overdone.

RANDY IN INDY
08-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Calling out critical play is much harder to swallow in seasons like this one, but no less true or obvious. "Most" of the things that Marty and Thom call out are pretty obvious to anyone who has any understanding of the game and watches on a consistent basis. As a player, it was always harder to hear the tough stuff when things were going bad, but to ignore it and gloss over it is worse than accepting the tough truth and trying to correct the mistakes going forward. There will always be mistakes and people who call them out. Baseball is an individual game within a team concept. When you mess up, it always stands out like a sore thumb. People notice. People comment. It's just the nature of the game.

RichRed
08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I enjoy it when Chris and Thom are in the booth together because if you're listening for it, you can catch undertones of Chris's total lack of respect towards Thom's baseball knowledge. Listen for it the next time Thom pontificates about a player having a bad approach. It offends Chris on so many levels (primarily that Thom never played the game). There's only so many ways for Chris to disagree with some of the things Thom says without outright calling him an idiot. And I think Chris ran out of them two years ago.

Anyways, I'm a big fan of Chris. And while I neither liked nor disliked George, Chris became a much better color guy when George retired. His hint of dry snark resonates with my sense of humor, he understands the game more than he lets on, and he has a good voice for the job.

This is EXACTLY my observation, as well. If I could sum Thom up, it would be that the tone of his voice is obnoxious and he has no feel for the nuance of baseball. (Every sentence he utters when a player messes up sounds to me like: "Why on earth did he do that when it's so obvious he should've done this?")

And you're right, you can just sense Welsh simmering. Welsh has really grown on me and I think he's pretty good for the most part. He has a strong fondness for saying "all about" though, which can be distracting. "For Joey Votto, it's ALL ABOUT attitude." "With Johnny Cueto, it's ALL ABOUT location."

I had never noticed it until my brother pointed it out to me; now, it's almost all I can hear. So now, I'm passing this gift on to all of you. You're welcome. :)

Cooper
08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Always liked Welsh. He doesn't blow smoke. Grande is always blowing smoke which drives me nuts.

10 to 1 Welsh likes Thom better than George. When you're around a guy like George everyone plays "nice" and it's so boring. If George ran a meeting it'd last an hour and there'd be no decisions. The whole thing would be about process while with Welsh you'd get something done in 3 minutes.

AtomicDumpling
08-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Calling out critical play is much harder to swallow in seasons like this one, but no less true or obvious. "Most" of the things that Marty and Thom call out are pretty obvious to anyone who has any understanding of the game and watches on a consistent basis. As a player, it was always harder to hear the tough stuff when things were going bad, but to ignore it and gloss over it is worse than accepting the tough truth and trying to correct the mistakes going forward. There will always be mistakes and people who call them out. Baseball is an individual game within a team concept. When you mess up, it always stands out like a sore thumb. People notice. People comment. It's just the nature of the game.

The problem isn't so much what Marty or Thom say, it is how they say it. They are often nasty and hateful. They seem egotistical and haughty. They act like a player making a mistake is a personal insult to them. They come off as spoiled brats that didn't get their way.

Joe Nuxhall had a way of explaining a player's mistake in baseball terms without making it into a personal attack on the player. Marty insults the players. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his crybaby style of complaining. He just sounds like a bitter old man.

And secondly, the fact that Marty "calls out a critical play" up in the broadcast booth has absolutely zero effect on what the players and coaches do. Marty's rants don't accomplish anything. The players and coaches don't consult with Marty on what they should do. They couldn't care less what Marty says. They don't say to themselves "Well Marty Brennaman called me out on the radio because I struck out. Maybe I should do some extra work in the batting cage." The players probably actually have very little idea of what Marty says anyway. It is not like they are listening to him during the game.

Marty seems to have forgotten a lot of what Joe Nuxhall taught him. Joe was always very good with the players and they respected him for it. He actually took the time to interact with the players on the field during warmups and in the clubhouse. He interviewed players on the air after the games. He pitched batting practice. Joe understood the players and what made them tick, and that came across on the radio. Marty sits aloof in the broadcast booth, just he and his Hall of Fame ego. From what I have heard the players don't like him and don't have respect for him. Marty is a great play-by-play announcer, but ever since Joe has been gone Marty as veered more and more into critiquing the players and offering his baseball opinion -- and in that arena he is in way over his head.

Tom Servo
08-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I like the Grande and Welsh duo, personally. I can see why George gets on some people's nerves though. I like Thom alright but I agree that he comes off as obnoxious when something goes wrong.

wlf WV
08-18-2011, 10:24 PM
He's gotten alot better the past few years personally I think it coincided with him reading RZ. I don't know with certainty he does but just listen to what he says, how he says it and when he says it, that is RZ speak my friend. Welsh, your welcome! :laugh:I've noticed Welsh seems to be absorbing new philosophies little by little.I noticed,kinda like buying a new car,you now notice like cars because you own one.(me and Welsh bought the same car)

gonelong
08-19-2011, 11:41 AM
All those years I thought Marty carried Joe, but I have come to realize that it was Joe that was carrying Marty.

GL

Nasty_Boy
08-19-2011, 12:08 PM
All those years I thought Marty carried Joe, but I have come to realize that it was Joe that was carrying Marty.

GL

:beerme:

Chip R
08-19-2011, 12:12 PM
The problem isn't so much what Marty or Thom say, it is how they say it. They are often nasty and hateful. They seem egotistical and haughty. They act like a player making a mistake is a personal insult to them. They come off as spoiled brats that didn't get their way.

Joe Nuxhall had a way of explaining a player's mistake in baseball terms without making it into a personal attack on the player. Marty insults the players. He rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his crybaby style of complaining. He just sounds like a bitter old man.

I think that's pretty accurate. I don't mind if Marty and/or Thom criticize a player for making a mistake. That's to be expected and I don't want to hear Goerge Grande's sunshiny excuses about why the player made the mistake. What Marty and Thom do is continue to criticize the player for the mistake over and over again.

The players probably actually have very little idea of what Marty says anyway. It is not like they are listening to him during the game.

Marty seems to have forgotten a lot of what Joe Nuxhall taught him. Joe was always very good with the players and they respected him for it. He actually took the time to interact with the players on the field during warmups and in the clubhouse. He interviewed players on the air after the games. He pitched batting practice. Joe understood the players and what made them tick, and that came across on the radio. Marty sits aloof in the broadcast booth, just he and his Hall of Fame ego. From what I have heard the players don't like him and don't have respect for him. Marty is a great play-by-play announcer, but ever since Joe has been gone Marty as veered more and more into critiquing the players and offering his baseball opinion -- and in that arena he is in way over his head.

I don't know about that. Guys go into the clubhouse between innings and the game is on. I don't know if they are getting the radio or TV play by play but if they don't hear those criticisms, someone close to them does and the player hears about it.

I think Marty - and the other broadcasters - have seen enough games to be able to offer up opinions about baseball and players. I think I would listen to what Jeff Brantley has to say about the mechanics of pitching and why a player is performing the way he is over Marty but Marty has seen his share of games and knows quite a bit about baseball. Most of us don't have any professional experience in the game but that sure doesn't stop us from offering our opinions on baseball and baseball players.

RANDY IN INDY
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Marty hasn't changed. He has had his fair share of problems with players who have felt the sting of his criticism through the years. Have always heard that he has always made himself accessible to the players after being critical. There will always be those who don't like Marty's style. Personally, I have no problem with it and enjoy listening to his broadcasts.

AtomicDumpling
08-20-2011, 04:04 AM

GL

Well said.

RANDY IN INDY
08-20-2011, 10:43 AM
They pretty much carried each other. Great announcing team. Hate Marty all you want, but he and Joe were great together.

jojo
08-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Clearly it will be a loss for Reds baseball when Marty leaves, but for many he is best when diluted... I think that's really what most are saying....his strong personality and especially his vitriol can be grating.

Cooper
08-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Marty is negative at times but i find that refreshing realtive to the other extreme which is Grande.

If there's a positive Reds moment -there's no one better at calling that play. I think what makes Marty so good is his "realness". With that quality comes some toxic moments but when good things happen -Marty sounds like honey. Omg, i think i just decided i am in love with Marty Brennaman...it's been low these many years and it's just now clear to me....I love Marty....yes, it's true...yeah.

BCubb2003
08-21-2011, 10:02 AM
I can't really blame Marty for being disgusted sometimes. He's seen a lot. I just like him more when he calls the game, not the side business.

Raisor
08-21-2011, 11:56 AM
. Hate Marty all you want, .

thanks for the permission.

RANDY IN INDY
08-21-2011, 12:55 PM
thanks for the permission.

You are so very welcome! And a huge serving of John Sterling to you! Enjoy!