PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 8/18

chicoruiz
08-18-2011, 08:17 AM
No Reds that I could find...

Others:

Albie Lopez (40)

Jose Azcue (72) Nicknamed "The Immortal Azcue" by sarcastic Cleveland fans, he actually achieved a certain kind of immortality in 1968 by hitting into an unassisted triple play.

Roberto Clemente- If you never saw him throw, I feel sorry for you.

Max Lanier- Hal Lanier's dad; posted a 1.90 ERA in 1943 for the Cards.

Burleigh Grimes- HOF pitcher; nicknamed "Old Stubblebeard". A number of current players could claim that nickname...

Wally Gerber- Columbus, Ohio boy who had a long career as a light-hitting shortstop.

Buck Weaver- Black Sox 3b; was playing the best ball of his career when Judge Landis pulled the plug on him.

Bob Borkowski
08-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Roberto Clemente- If you never saw him throw, I feel sorry for you.

Ah, yes, the man who watched Johnny Bench's legendary home run in the '72 playoffs sail into the right field stands. Known as Bobby Clemente to Pirates broadcaster Bob Prince.

cumberlandreds
08-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Ah, yes, the man who watched Johnny Bench's legendary home run in the '72 playoffs sail into the right field stands. Known as Bobby Clemente to Pirates broadcaster Bob Prince.

I read he hated being called Bobby too. I can remember a baseball card or two of him that had Bob Clemente listed for his name. He did truly have one of the best if not the best arm I have ever seen. That playoff game turned out to be his last game too.

marcshoe
08-18-2012, 12:26 PM
I read he hated being called Bobby too. I can remember a baseball card or two of him that had Bob Clemente listed for his name. He did truly have one of the best if not the best arm I have ever seen. That playoff game turned out to be his last game too.

I had a "Bobby Clemente" card from the sixties.

He was my first favorite player from back in the brief period when I started paying attention to baseball but hadn't become a Reds fan yet. He still is in my top three, with Bench and Larkin. To me, Clemente was the most aesthetically perfect baseball player there was. Watching him was one of the things that made me a fan.