PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else starting to dislike Votto?

will5979
08-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Finding something else to b!tch about in the SunDeck, surprise, surprise! :lol:

Seriously I started losing attachment when he made it clear that he was only going to stay in Cincy for a short period of time, also his body language tells me he is very unhappy...you know what I have to say about that?

You play in the big league, something 95% of former baseball players would give their left nut to do and all you want to do is be unhappy (don't get me started about Carson Palmer either). I'm so sick of these damn overpaid atheletes and their me me me mentality...be grateful, a team drafted your unknown ass and the least you could do to say thank you is stick around for a while. That is what I would like to say to Mr. NEgativity Joey Votto.

Hell Darryl Strawberry stayed in NY until the 1992 season making it clear the entire time that he eventually wanted to play in his hometown of LA, now we're only going to get Votto probably if we are lucky for 1 more season.

Sean CAsey seemed like one helluva annoying d0uchebag, but at least he praised Cincinnati and wanted to stay here.

It just ain't fair.

Captain13
08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Last thing first, by calling Casey a db you lose all credibility. Now on to the main point, the Reds drafted Votto and gave him a shot. In return, he practiced and played hard. He earned a chance to play in Cincy, won the starting job, won the MVP and continues to perform above All-Star level. The Reds owe him nothing more than the money he is signed for (even though is over-performing for his salary), and he owes the Reds nothing more than his very best during the length of his contract. Pretty simple stuff.

brm7675
08-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Really? Have you spoken with Joey or are you going off what you see on TV? I think Joey is like any other smart ballplayer, he knows he is talented and wants to see what his talent will bring on the open market. I think he is a bit on the inward side, he is not a big time Woo-Woo type of player, he just goes out and produces. My problem isn't with Joey but with the Reds and their inability to have a plan in action for what to do with him and Yonder.

mroby85
08-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Show me a player that looks happy on the team this year, and i'll show you a loser.

mrherd05
08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
careful calling out Votto will, Votto is God over here. I have learned the hard way.

code
08-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Show me a player that looks happy on the team this year, and i'll show you a loser.

I have to agree with you here. But, if you read LeCURE's twitters he seems like the happiest guy in the world. :)

Sean_CaseyRules
08-19-2011, 04:15 PM

I don't know if I'd call Brandon Phillips a loser....

Jefferson24
08-19-2011, 04:21 PM

At least he wants to stay, that says a lot. He's not sure the Reds will pay him a fair amount if offered a multi-year deal but at least he wants to stay.

Jr's Boy
08-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Finding something else to b!tch about in the SunDeck, surprise, surprise! :lol:

Seriously I started losing attachment when he made it clear that he was only going to stay in Cincy for a short period of time, also his body language tells me he is very unhappy...you know what I have to say about that?

You play in the big league, something 95% of former baseball players would give their left nut to do and all you want to do is be unhappy (don't get me started about Carson Palmer either). I'm so sick of these damn overpaid atheletes and their me me me mentality...be grateful, a team drafted your unknown ass and the least you could do to say thank you is stick around for a while. That is what I would like to say to Mr. NEgativity Joey Votto.

Hell Darryl Strawberry stayed in NY until the 1992 season making it clear the entire time that he eventually wanted to play in his hometown of LA, now we're only going to get Votto probably if we are lucky for 1 more season.

Sean CAsey seemed like one helluva annoying d0uchebag, but at least he praised Cincinnati and wanted to stay here.

It just ain't fair.

I was somewhat in agreement with your statements,until you dissed the Mayor like that.Just blew your credibility out the window.

dthomas24
08-19-2011, 04:31 PM
This fanbase has been Bengalized!!!! I'm a Browns fan so I can't say too much! Everyone is looking way too much into everything. The cup is always half empty. Just sit back and enjoy one of the top players in the game while he's here. He might leave, he might not. Who knows!?!? If he does go somewhere else for a big payday it's not something that anybody else wouldn't do if given the opportunity. Everyone wants to better themselves and most athletes want a ring. He may assess what's going on here and decide to stay if they have a good year next year. I will say though with our market I would hate to pay one player and then have the rest of the roster be terrible.

CWRed
08-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Add this to the "Worst Posts Ever" list. :eek:

Skreep
08-19-2011, 04:37 PM
another reason why cincy has terrible fans. Votto has had the same exact attitude and emotion levels that he did last year, yet somehow, you think this year he has a bad attitude.

go to the bengals board where this crap is welcomed

texasdave
08-19-2011, 04:38 PM

Brandon Phillips.

FireDusty
08-19-2011, 04:41 PM
I got no problem with Votto, but I do think we should trade him for a front of the rotation starter this offseason.

Skreep
08-19-2011, 04:42 PM
I got no problem with Votto, but I do think we should trade him for a front of the rotation starter this offseason.

remember what happened the last time we traded an offensive machine for a pitcher?

dthomas24
08-19-2011, 04:43 PM
remember what happened the last time we traded an offensive machine for a pitcher?

?????

Skreep
08-19-2011, 04:44 PM
?????

seriously?

Josh Hamilton ring a bell?

texasdave
08-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Hamilton for Volquez? Maybe we should include the caveat that the pitcher isn't a head case. :laugh:

Skreep
08-19-2011, 04:48 PM
i really dont understand why everyone wants to get rid of our only players hitting close to .300

dthomas24
08-19-2011, 04:51 PM
seriously?

Josh Hamilton ring a bell?

sorry, trying to do too many things at once

Skreep
08-19-2011, 04:55 PM
sorry, trying to do too many things at once

Completely understandable. I'm trying to clean a house for a friend coming in town any minute, pack a bag for the hospital since the wife is due any time, and play dinosaurs with a 2 year old. All while being on here and two other boards.

Mental lapses will and do happen in this house quite often.

will5979
08-19-2011, 05:21 PM
i really dont understand why everyone wants to get rid of our only players hitting close to .300

I don't want rid of Votto, the point is I wish he would lose the attitude problem that he has. I had a friend that didn't like Votto for the same reason 3 years ago, I told him he was dumb, now I see that side of Votto. Again this athlete's me me me attitude (Carson Palmer) is making me despise professional sports.

will5979
08-19-2011, 05:22 PM
I was somewhat in agreement with your statements,until you dissed the Mayor like that.Just blew your credibility out the window.

Dude, Casey sang the Barney theme song on a live broadcast this year when he was suppose to be calling the game...

He reminds me of one of Bill Lumbergh's cronies in Office Space probably married to the character Nina in that movie.

Skreep
08-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't want rid of Votto, the point is I wish he would lose the attitude problem that he has. I had a friend that didn't like Votto for the same reason 3 years ago, I told him he was dumb, now I see that side of Votto. Again this athlete's me me me attitude (Carson Palmer) is making me despise professional sports.

can you show me where you are seeing his attitude problems? are you personally talking to him or is he saying things in interviews?

will5979
08-19-2011, 05:25 PM
can you show me where you are seeing his attitude problems? are you personally talking to him or is he saying things in interviews?

Just watch the dude's body language, I can see it, others can as well. But like I said the main reason I'm skeptical of him is his failure to sign a LTC...I don't like guys that don't want to remain with the Reds when the Reds made them superstars, it ain't right.
And why won't he try LF to get Alonso's bat in the lineup? What did PEte Rose do when Sparky asked him to move to 3B to get Foster's bat int he lineup? That worked out well.

Skreep
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Just watch the dude's body language, I can see it, others can as well. But like I said the main reason I'm skeptical of him is his failure to sign a LTC...I don't like guys that don't want to remain with the Reds when the Reds made them superstars, it ain't right.
And why won't he try LF to get Alonso's bat in the lineup? What did PEte Rose do when Sparky asked him to move to 3B to get Foster's bat int he lineup? That worked out well.

third base and left field are completely different positions. i would prefer him at third waaay more than i would LF. if we could get a good SS, can you imagine how disgusting our infield would be?

but his body language is the exact body language i would expect for someone who is extremely introverted and doesnt like to be the center of attention. he has never shown more emotion than a smile or a tiny fist pump. its not a sign of not wanting to be here, its just the way some people are. And why not wait to see if he can get a better contract by putting up better numbers? This is a business, and you dont know what is going on behind closed doors regarding contract talk. I'm really not understanding your rush to judgement on something you have absolutely no knowledge about.

Stray
08-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Not at all. He's one of the best players in all of baseball and he wants to test the waters as a free agent in his prime. That might suck for us, but it's nothing to frown upon. It's actually smart for him to do so.

As for him playing LF, eh I could go either way. I think he should at least be open to it. I get annoyed at all of the short sighted thinking though. I wanted to see Heisey get his shot in left, we didn't get to see nearly enough of that to know either way. Now I want to see Sappelt in LF and see if he can adjust to ML pitching. Obviously with him it's too soon to tell.

We're so far out of it I hate to just abandon a young guy now, throw Votto in LF and go to another young guy to play your reigning MVP's position. I get wanting to see the minor leaguers play, but I think when you commit to that you have to see it out. I don't see how Alonso fits into our future plans unless Votto is traded anyway, a LH bat to stick in between Votto and Bruce doesn't really make that much sense. I'd rather go hard after Kemp in the offseason.

ervinsm84
08-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Just watch the dude's body language, I can see it, others can as well.

His body language? Really? Id like to see a video clip break down of said bad body language explaining what exactly you see that is so obvious to you and you alone. I mean, if its so rampant and happens all the time, it should not be too hard for you to find a clip of him doing it online?

I don't like guys that don't want to remain with the Reds when the Reds made them superstars, it ain't right.
Ah, now were to the crux of your argument. You really just dont like him bc you believe hes leaving, which we dont even know. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, the idea of "The reds made him a superstar," is pretty flawed. Sure the Reds organization gets some credit in his development as a player, but Votto has put in work since he was a little kid added in with he probably doesnt even spend much time in the offseason with the clubs hitting coaches. Generally elite guys like votto have their own routine, own offseason training program, and personal trainers that they use. I dont see why the Reds get 100% of the credit for votto becoming a superstar

Has Dusty or Walt even actually asked Votto to go play left and he flat out refused? afaik, thats a discussion that has not taken place, but I could be wrong on that.

brm7675
08-19-2011, 08:06 PM

Exactly where is he being selfish or having a "ME-ME-ME" attitude? Really provide me with some examples because I don't see it.:confused:

brm7675
08-19-2011, 08:08 PM

Let me see if I understand...you knock the guy because he won't sign a long term deal with the Reds now? Your kidding right? This is a joke? Why in the world would he? He would be an idiot to do that and anyone who is upset he didn't sign a LTC doesn't have a grasp on life and reality. Also, why would you want him in LF? How is the team better with him in LF?

BurgervilleBuck
08-19-2011, 08:29 PM
The only thing I absolutely dislike about Joey Votto is that it's hard to dislike Joey Votto.

40YrRedsFan
08-19-2011, 08:36 PM
I think Joey's "body language" is expressing his frustration in how this year has gone. As far as him leaving after 2013, I think he realizes the Reds odds of producing a winner soon are very slim. The Reds track record over the last 15-20 years hasn't been good. Also, I feel the management failure to help improve the team this year was a severe blow to not just JV, but everyone. Their play since the trade deadline has been poor, to say the least. Every one wants to play for a winner, and save for last year, we aren't getting any closer. Joey is going to do what he has to to play for a winner.

Redeye fly
08-19-2011, 08:44 PM
His body language? Really? Id like to see a video clip break down of said bad body language explaining what exactly you see that is so obvious to you and you alone. I mean, if its so rampant and happens all the time, it should not be too hard for you to find a clip of him doing it online?

Ah, now were to the crux of your argument. You really just dont like him bc you believe hes leaving, which we dont even know. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, the idea of "The reds made him a superstar," is pretty flawed. Sure the Reds organization gets some credit in his development as a player, but Votto has put in work since he was a little kid added in with he probably doesnt even spend much time in the offseason with the clubs hitting coaches. Generally elite guys like votto have their own routine, own offseason training program, and personal trainers that they use. I dont see why the Reds get 100% of the credit for votto becoming a superstar

Has Dusty or Walt even actually asked Votto to go play left and he flat out refused? afaik, thats a discussion that has not taken place, but I could be wrong on that.

Good post.

I swear, sometimes I don't see why anybody would want to play in Cincinnati the way the fans treat some of the elite players here. Everyone has a right to their opinion and Cincinnati's fans may in fact be no worse than the fans of many other teams. But some of the stuff thrown at Eric Davis, Ken Griffey Jr., and even this kind of stuff toward Joey Votto, it's nuts. The sad part is it's probably very much the minority who engages in it, but they make a habit to be a very vocal minority.

I can almost guarantee about 98% of our fans who "think this" about Votto are projecting their own frustrations with the season onto Joey. Kind of along the lines of "we left the bases loaded again... hey, look at Votto does he look disinterested and like he'd rather be someplace else to you? Yeah, he does. You know, he wouldn't sign a deal to be here long term. That bum!"

It's the kind of tinfoil hat reasoning that belongs in the National Enquirer or on the back pages of the New York trash newspapers. I say that rather Joey wants to stay or whether he wants to leave. I mean, the people who think Joey wants out may actually be right. But to say, I can see it in his body language that he'd rather be someplace else. Well, this year there's a lot of times I'd rather be somewhere else or doing something else than watching the Reds blow another game. But I'm not going to be looking for another team to root for next year because of it.

Nobody knows what's going on in Joey Votto's head except for Joey Votto... and that's probably almost literally true with as introverted an individual as Joey. Truthfully we should probably be lucky he didn't want to extend the finger to the "faithful fans" who were insistent a couple of years back that the reason Joey was under so much stress was he didn't want it coming out that he was gay, when of course it in reality had to do with his struggling over the anniversary of his father's passing.

brm7675
08-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Winning is nice...but 99% of the time it's money that is the deciding factor. Trust me if the Reds offered Joey the most money he would sign here. It's all about the money then the winning.

Vottomatic
08-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Is this thread for real?

I'm a quiet guy in public. I guess you wouldn't like me either.

You should be more mad at Reds management for not getting a quality 4-hole hitter to protect Votto, and get the most out of Joey, since he'd see more pitches to hit. Seriously.

Krawhitham
08-19-2011, 09:00 PM

He does not have an attitude problem, he is a just a quiet guy who seems to be afraid whatever he says will be spun by the beat writers. He wants his private life to be private. That is why he will not go to the highest bidder, he can not take the big city press. The only team the Reds will have to out bid is the Blue Jays

bornready
08-19-2011, 09:41 PM
I really hate that home run he just hit after working the count. Probably just trying to pad his stats. Talk about selfish.

;)

will5979
08-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Truth is I don't want to lose Votto and being the insecure person that I am I guess I'm taking out my frustration with these posts...

I would just feel so much better about the future of the Reds if he would have signed for 6 years instead of 3.

R_Webb18
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
why is it votto fault that he has to play lf when the reds have many talents in minors they could just trade for a lf? dont say something like albert pujols moved spots either. that was like 3 games. votto moving to left short time is not the longterm answer. so yea id prob be pissed also.

jwmann2
08-20-2011, 12:51 AM
Last thing first, by calling Casey a db you lose all credibility. Now on to the main point, the Reds drafted Votto and gave him a shot. In return, he practiced and played hard. He earned a chance to play in Cincy, won the starting job, won the MVP and continues to perform above All-Star level. The Reds owe him nothing more than the money he is signed for (even though is over-performing for his salary), and he owes the Reds nothing more than his very best during the length of his contract. Pretty simple stuff.

Great post. Could he be upset because the team has not played up to it's potential all season long and knows that the season is over because the Brewers are playing with fire right now? He's a great player and if you think he needs to move on, then who would you like at 1st base?

smixsell
08-20-2011, 03:12 AM

I AM SURE that I would not call Brandon Phillips a winner. :( A nice guy, but definately not a winner.

Stray
08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Truth is I don't want to lose Votto and being the insecure person that I am I guess I'm taking out my frustration with these posts...

I would just feel so much better about the future of the Reds if he would have signed for 6 years instead of 3.

I think this post sums up a lot of Cincinnati sports fans. A lot of insecurity about having one of the best players in the game, and now they're searching for reasons to run him out of town. Not dogging on your personally, just the feeling I get from hearing Cincy fans reaction to things.

We know we have him through 13 (if we decide not to trade him). Instead of worrying about what happens if he leaves us, I would much rather worry about how we can surround him with a winning team while he's here.

I think if Votto moves to LF it would probably be done before the start of next season. I'm sure he doesn't want to, but if it were to happen my bet is then.

izzy's dad
08-20-2011, 01:37 PM
The only thing I "dislike" about Votto is that is Mcfarlane toy looks like Miguel Cairo. Other than that no I like Joey Votto so much it makes most people uncomfortable.

mroby85
08-20-2011, 02:09 PM
The only thing I "dislike" about Votto is that is Mcfarlane toy looks like Miguel Cairo. Other than that no I like Joey Votto so much it makes most people uncomfortable.

Haha I agree with this post, that mcfarlane is terrible. Also, after the Griffey/Dunn years when it seemed like they just weren't bothered by the losing, and Danny Graves telling players to come here because there is no pressure to win, I for one find it refreshing to find a guy that works his butt off and hates losing. You have to keep in mind as well, Phillips doesn't look happy when they're losing on the field, a lot of that is just the personality outside of the field. While I like Phillips too, I dont think he works as hard or takes baseball as seriously as Joey Votto just based on my observations. Again, I like Phillips but the guy was basically traded from Cleveland because of his attitude, and has been great for the Reds, but I just don't think a lot of guys take the game as personally as Votto does, which is probably why they dont look miserable when they're losing sometimes.

Skreep
08-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Haha I agree with this post, that mcfarlane is terrible. Also, after the Griffey/Dunn years when it seemed like they just weren't bothered by the losing, and Danny Graves telling players to come here because there is no pressure to win, I for one find it refreshing to find a guy that works his butt off and hates losing. You have to keep in mind as well, Phillips doesn't look happy when they're losing on the field, a lot of that is just the personality outside of the field. While I like Phillips too, I dont think he works as hard or takes baseball as seriously as Joey Votto just based on my observations. Again, I like Phillips but the guy was basically traded from Cleveland because of his attitude, and has been great for the Reds, but I just don't think a lot of guys take the game as personally as Votto does, which is probably why they dont look miserable when they're losing sometimes.

why is it the moment someone starts to look like they are having fun on the field in cincy, everyone assumes he isnt working hard? you mean to tell me that one of the best defensive second basemen in the league doesnt work hard? all of that just magically came naturally to him? give me a freakin break

mroby85
08-20-2011, 02:32 PM
why is it the moment someone starts to look like they are having fun on the field in cincy, everyone assumes he isnt working hard? you mean to tell me that one of the best defensive second basemen in the league doesnt work hard? all of that just magically came naturally to him? give me a freakin break

You should re-read what I said. I said works AS hard or takes it AS seriously as Votto. I don't think there are many players in the game that work as hard as Votto, I wasn't trying to single Phillips out or say he doesn't work hard.

Skreep
08-20-2011, 03:03 PM
You should re-read what I said. I said works AS hard or takes it AS seriously as Votto. I don't think there are many players in the game that work as hard as Votto, I wasn't trying to single Phillips out or say he doesn't work hard.

Based on your observations? you mean when you watch games on tv? those observations allow you to tell how much extra time they put in?

mroby85
08-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Based on your observations? you mean when you watch games on tv? those observations allow you to tell how much extra time they put in?

Yes, and what i've read/heard about Votto. In post/pregames they always talk about how hes always in the cage, always watching film. You can tell from watching games and reports that there are players that work harder than others. I think you're misunderstanding my point though, I like Phillips, and think he's a good player. I dont feel like hes the type that it ruins the rest of his night when he loses, and I thought Votto is competitive in that way that he doesn't deal well with losing. Thats just my opinion based on what i've seen. Again, not saying I dont like Phillips because I really do.