PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 8/20

chicoruiz
08-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Reds:

Kal Daniels (48)- A great pure hitter.

Fred Norman (69)- Little lefty who for some reason never got the credit he deserved for his role on the BRM.

Others:

Todd Helton (38)

Andy Benes (44)

Graig Nettles (67) There are lots of great Nettles quotes. My favorite: "The best thing about being on the Yankees is watching Reggie Jackson every day. The worst thing about being on the Yankees is watching Reggie Jackson every day".

Al Lopez- Seems like Al had a happy life; Long-time catcher, long-time manager, nice guy, became rich investing in oil wells, lived to age 97. I'd take that.

oneupper
08-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Norman was picked up for next to nothing and gave the REDS several productive seasons.

Lopez also had the honor of getting ejected from Al Lopez field in Tampa.

I always remember Nettles for winning a HR title with a grand total of 32 (1976). Ah...those pre-roid days!

cumberlandreds
08-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Norman is one of the most underated pitchers of the BRM. Very good lefty who came out of nowhere to become a key member of the pitching staff. I can remember when the Reds got him from SD. He was 1-7 and hadn't been very good for them at all. Wondered why in the world are the Reds picking up someone like this. IIRC he won his first 6 or 7 starts as a Red and was really good from that point on. I thought afterwards that Larry Shepard must have spotted something in his mechanics that he knew he could correct and did so. He was as good a lefty, other than Steve Carlton, in the NL for a time.

Bob Borkowski
08-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Reds:

Kal Daniels (48)- A great pure hitter.

Fred Norman (69)- Little lefty who for some reason never got the credit he deserved for his role on the BRM.

Others:

Todd Helton (38)

Andy Benes (44)

Graig Nettles (67) There are lots of great Nettles quotes. My favorite: "The best thing about being on the Yankees is watching Reggie Jackson every day. The worst thing about being on the Yankees is watching Reggie Jackson every day".

Al Lopez- Seems like Al had a happy life; Long-time catcher, long-time manager, nice guy, became rich investing in oil wells, lived to age 97. I'd take that.

I can understand why you didn't include George Zuverink 88, in today's Reds listing but he was with them for a sip of coffee in 1954. He pitched in 2 games but, what the heck, once a Red always a Red. Also, how many 'Z' guys do we have walking around out there? Couldn't be many.