PDA

View Full Version : Philippe Valiquette released

Danny Serafini
08-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, just saw this morning that Valiquette was released on Thursday. That brings the 40 man down to 39.

RedsManRick
08-20-2011, 11:54 AM
That's disappointing. Lefties with an arm like his don't come around that often. I can't seem to find any stats for him this year -- has he been hurt?

lollipopcurve
08-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I can't seem to find any stats for him this year -- has he been hurt?

Yes. Apparently he tore a muscle in his side or back.

Great arm but absolutely no secondary pitches. I'll be surprised if he develops into a serviceable reliever.

dougdirt
08-20-2011, 12:16 PM
When I saw this yesterday I was kind of shocked. I have to wonder if there isn't something more to the story. Last year the guy was clocked throwing 100 MPH. This year he gets hurt and before he even goes out on rehab, they release him? It isn't like they dropped him from the 40 man. They outright cut him. Something else has to be up here.

Eric_the_Red
08-20-2011, 01:01 PM
When I saw this yesterday I was kind of shocked. I have to wonder if there isn't something more to the story. Last year the guy was clocked throwing 100 MPH. This year he gets hurt and before he even goes out on rehab, they release him? It isn't like they dropped him from the 40 man. They outright cut him. Something else has to be up here.

Wonder if an HGH suspension was coming? Nothing to base it on, but it is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear a player being released during injury/rehab.

Tom Servo
08-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah HGH was my first thought too, to be honest.

fearofpopvol1
08-20-2011, 03:36 PM
To me it's much ado about nothing. He's been in the system for 7 years, his WHIP has always been high and his K/9 have never been that impressive considering the arm.

I'm not sure I would've given up on him just yet but I also don't feel like it's a big loss either. It seems like the fact he was a lefty and could throw a fastball was a bit overhyped at RZ.

jmcclain19
08-20-2011, 04:59 PM
He's quit and headed home once before - that could also be the case here.

mth123
08-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, just saw this morning that Valiquette was released on Thursday. That brings the 40 man down to 39.

I'm guessing that makes room for Burton off the 60 day DL. I'd still like to see room made for Mesoraco and Phipps in Septmeber. My choices to go would be Lewis and Renteria (or maybe Hernandez). If they keep those guys, I'm guessing Negron and Valaiaka.

dougdirt
08-20-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm guessing that makes room for Burton off the 60 day DL. I'd still like to see room made for Mesoraco and Phipps in Septmeber. My choices to go would be Lewis and Renteria (or maybe Hernandez). If they keep those guys, I'm guessing Negron and Valaiaka.

Again, why would they just outright release a guy to make room on the 40 man. You can drop him off the roster and put him on waivers and hope he gets through in that scenario. Plus, he was on the 60 day DL, so his roster spot wasn't actually keeping anyone off of it.

There is something more to this story than him taking up a roster spot that they wanted to clear. Do you really think that they would drop a lefty with a 100 MPH fastball instead of Kristopher Negron who is not hitting .200 in Louisville if it was simply about clearing a roster spot?

Danny Serafini
08-20-2011, 10:11 PM
He actually wasn't on the 60 day. He was optioned down March 14, and subsequently put on Louisville's DL, so he was taking up a spot. Doesn't explain why he wasn't simply outrighted though. Can't say I'm all that upset, I know he tantalized some here but I never had any confidence in him becoming a legit Major Leaguer.

dougdirt
08-21-2011, 01:06 AM
He actually wasn't on the 60 day. He was optioned down March 14, and subsequently put on Louisville's DL, so he was taking up a spot. Doesn't explain why he wasn't simply outrighted though. Can't say I'm all that upset, I know he tantalized some here but I never had any confidence in him becoming a legit Major Leaguer.

Ah. Well, I stand corrected. But yeah, it still doesn't make sense to just release him unless there is more to the story.

mth123
08-21-2011, 02:22 AM
Again, why would they just outright release a guy to make room on the 40 man. You can drop him off the roster and put him on waivers and hope he gets through in that scenario. Plus, he was on the 60 day DL, so his roster spot wasn't actually keeping anyone off of it.

There is something more to this story than him taking up a roster spot that they wanted to clear. Do you really think that they would drop a lefty with a 100 MPH fastball instead of Kristopher Negron who is not hitting .200 in Louisville if it was simply about clearing a roster spot?

Agree, just pointing out the state of the roster.

camisadelgolf
08-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Ah. Well, I stand corrected. But yeah, it still doesn't make sense to just release him unless there is more to the story.
Through his performance (and other various factors), Valiquette has repeatedly shown time and time again that he is not part of the team's future. Releasing him was the cheapest option, too. The Reds eventually need to clear space on the 40-man roster, and Valiquette was going to be the first one to go anyway. If the Reds outrighted him to AAA, he just would've left as a free agent at the end of the season, so why waste the time/money on him?

Brutus
08-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Wonder if an HGH suspension was coming? Nothing to base it on, but it is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear a player being released during injury/rehab.

Valiquette couldn't be tested for HGH being on the 40-man roster.

dougdirt
08-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Talked with a source who knows about what happened. The Reds released him because they did need the spot on the 40 man. Valiquette is doing well. He is throwing off of the mound again and his plans are to continue playing baseball with another team and is close to signing with another team.

HokieRed
08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Talked with a source who knows about what happened. The Reds released him because they did need the spot on the 40 man. Valiquette is doing well. He is throwing off of the mound again and his plans are to continue playing baseball with another team and is close to signing with another team.

This makes it even less understandable. I mean why release Valiquette rather than Negron or Valaika?

lollipopcurve
08-25-2011, 03:41 PM
his plans are to continue playing baseball with another team and is close to signing with another team.

I'll guess the Blue Jays.

camisadelgolf
08-25-2011, 04:12 PM
This makes it even less understandable. I mean why release Valiquette rather than Negron or Valaika?
I'll try to get the ball rolling . . . Valiquette has a career WHIP of 1.553, and that's just in the minors. He walks a ton of batters, relies almost solely on one pitch, will be out of options after next year, and the Reds have more of a need for infielders than they do relievers.

cinreds21
08-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Was that source me?

Nevermind, thought it was.

HokieRed
08-25-2011, 06:50 PM
I'll try to get the ball rolling . . . Valiquette has a career WHIP of 1.553, and that's just in the minors. He walks a ton of batters, relies almost solely on one pitch, will be out of options after next year, and the Reds have more of a need for infielders than they do relievers.

Granted. He's also a lefthander who throws in the mid to high 90's and, IMHO, neither Negron nor Valaika will ever be a significant major league player. How likely is it, for instance, that they will be on the 40 man roster come next year's Rule 5 draft? (though this last might also be asked about Valiquette, frankly)

cinreds21
09-03-2011, 01:42 PM
He signed with Seattle in case anyone cared.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I would have rather taken a chance with Valiquette for one more year. Same with Hermida.

If they need some room on the 40, Valaika, Negron, Thompson, Smith, Fisher, etc. could all go.