PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Fall League Info 2011

JaxRed
08-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Some info is out. Reds are assigned to Phoenix Desert Dogs this year along with A's Indians, Yankees, Oakland, and Toronto. Managed by someone from A's. No Reds listed on staff as off now.

Used to be 2 Peoria Teams, now there is 1 as the Rafters are now playing at the new Diamond Backs/Rockies facility at Talking Stick. And the Saguaros are now at Surprise.

Schedule is out also....

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/schedule/?sid=l119&ymd=20111004

JaxRed
08-27-2011, 01:24 AM
I'm bored so I'll fire off my guess on the Az Roster. They will be announced Aug 31 but I haven't heard anything yet.

Here's the rules:

The roster size is 30 players per team.

Each Major League organization is required to provide six players subject to the following requirements:

All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.
One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team.
One foreign player is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation or the Australian winter league.
No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of August 31 are eligible, except a team may select one player picked in the most recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.
To be eligible, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.

I looked up the Confederation and it's Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Venezuela.

Teams don't usually send guys more than once, in my opinion starters sent that spent full season playing are not top prospects. Last year the Reds had 4 pitchers and 4 hitters.

So:

Yasmani Grandal
Didi Gregorius
Cody Puckett
Josh Fellhauer
Eric Campbell

Scott Carroll
Nick Christiani
Travis Webb
Donnie Joseph

If that's the squad it's not the most star-studded

cinreds21
08-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Here is who's going:

Grandal
Webb
Puckett
Joseph
Boxberger
Christiani

JaxRed
08-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks 21. I got all except Boxberger and I didn't include him because he was there 2 years ago.

kaldaniels
08-27-2011, 03:09 AM
Obviously you will have some of each, but overall do players hope to be sent out to the fall league? Or if it were up to them would they rather just head home?

mth123
08-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Here is who's going:

Grandal
Webb
Puckett
Joseph
Boxberger
Christiani

Not as many as in past seasons. Surprised Gergorious isn't going to make up for losing his first half.

dougdirt
08-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Not as many as in past seasons. Surprised Gergorious isn't going to make up for losing his first half.

He may go elsewhere to play. Perhaps Australia again. Just speculating.

JaxRed
08-27-2011, 01:35 PM
I also wondered whether there might be another name or 2 added.

RED VAN HOT
08-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Can anyone provide an update on Travis Webb? When drafted in 2006 he was said to touch 93 with his FB but with weak secondary pitches. He was a starter until this year. Looking at his stats, the thing that stands out is an improvement in his K/9 and K/BB. He also appears to have GB tendencies.

dougdirt
08-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Can anyone provide an update on Travis Webb? When drafted in 2006 he was said to touch 93 with his FB but with weak secondary pitches. He was a starter until this year. Looking at his stats, the thing that stands out is an improvement in his K/9 and K/BB. He also appears to have GB tendencies.

Saw him two weeks ago. Velocity was 89-91, touched slightly higher. Need to go back and watch the video some more to get a better look at his offspeed pitches.

cinreds21
08-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Ever since he moved to the pen he's looked very good. As Doug said, he only hits around 91 and his off-speed pitches are average. With Vall gone and a good or decent Fall League, I think he'll get added to the 40-man.

JaxRed
08-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Non-Scouting Report - I've talked to him a couple times and seems like a great guy and I'm rooting for him.

cinreds21
08-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Rosters were officially announced today.

dougdirt
08-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Looks like Brodie Greene is the only guy who was added to the original list posted here.

lollipopcurve
08-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I like the Greene add. Underrated prospect.

redsfan1995
08-30-2011, 09:33 PM
is there anywhere you can watch these games online when the league starts?

JaxRed
08-30-2011, 10:07 PM
No. I think they show the All Start game and the finals.

redsfan1995
08-30-2011, 10:09 PM
No. I think they show the All Start game and the finals.

ok thanks is that usually on mlb network?

JaxRed
08-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Yes

redsmetz
09-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Just thought I'd bump this up so it doesn't get buried. I don't recall seeing anything, but who will be on the coaching or training staff from our organization?

cinreds21
09-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I think Charles Leddon is going to be there, but there isn't anyone listed as a manager or coach on the roster.

mth123
10-02-2011, 08:44 AM
The AFL will kick-off on Tuesday with an afternoon game. Some things to watch for this fall:

- The not too distant future of the Reds bullpen may be on display with RHPs Brad Boxberger and Nick Christiani and LHPs Donnie Jospeh and Travis Webb. Performance here may be the determining factor in whether or not Webb is added to the 40 man roster or exposed in Rule 5. Joseph can hopefully re-establish his lost luster with a good AFL showing. Boxberger and Christaini may show that the aggressive promotions to AAA, which resulted in some mediocre numbers, was a just a step on the way to Cincy's pen and not a wall that they've run into. If some of these guys look like they can help at some point in 2012, the team may pass on handing out much money for bullpen roles. Savng some bucks in the pen would go a long way toward allowing the team to retain or acquire more important pieces.

- Yasmani Grandal, who may be a prime trade chip in the search for a top starter, will hopefully boost his value with a good showing.

- Brodie Greene and Cody Puckett can establish themselves as prospects with a good showing.

At least there will be some box scores and stats to look at. I miss that already.

dougdirt
10-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Boxberger had a sub 3 ERA and more strikeouts than innings in AAA. Those are mediocre numbers?

mth123
10-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Boxberger had a sub 3 ERA and more strikeouts than innings in AAA. Those are mediocre numbers?

I was actualy thinking of Christiani when I wrote that, but his 4.9 BB/9 says he may be a little high for his level. His .233 BABIP make his ERA a little less than trustworthy. I like him. I just think he's been pushed a little fast and I hope his time in the AFL helps him develop to the point of being on the brink like his finsih in AAA might suggest it is.

I'd really like to see him in Cincy by June and pitching late inning situations before the end of July, but I think its a little fast and hope his time against valued prospects for a couple months bridges the gap. I really want the Reds to fill as much of the pen as possible for the minimum and save the bucks for the rotation and if necessary, LF.

dougdirt
10-02-2011, 07:32 PM
I was actualy thinking of Christiani when I wrote that, but his 4.9 BB/9 says he may be a little high for his level. His .233 BABIP make his ERA a little less than trustworthy. I like him. I just think he's been pushed a little fast and I hope his time in the AFL helps him develop to the point of being on the brink like his finsih in AAA might suggest it is.

I'd really like to see him in Cincy by June and pitching late inning situations before the end of July, but I think its a little fast and hope his time against valued prospects for a couple months bridges the gap. I really want the Reds to fill as much of the pen as possible for the minimum and save the bucks for the rotation and if necessary, LF.

The walks were worrisome a little bit. BABIP, not so much. I say that because in the minor leagues, the talent level simply isn't always even like it is in the majors. Some guys can actually influence their BABIP in the minors because they have more talent than the other guys.

Guys simply couldn't hit him this year. He had some walk issues though, I will give you that one.

mth123
10-02-2011, 08:06 PM
The walks were worrisome a little bit. BABIP, not so much. I say that because in the minor leagues, the talent level simply isn't always even like it is in the majors. Some guys can actually influence their BABIP in the minors because they have more talent than the other guys.

Guys simply couldn't hit him this year. He had some walk issues though, I will give you that one.

I buy what you are saying about BABIP if he was consistently down in that area, but it doesn't jibe with last year when the talent should have been less at the lower level and his BABIP was .392 at AA and .329 at A+. I do think the move to relief may make him more dominant and lower the BABIP, but he was a reliever in AA last year and the .392 makes this season seem like something that shouldn't be believed IMO. A couple of months in the AFL may reveal something.

dougdirt
10-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I buy what you are saying about BABIP if he was consistently down in that area, but it doesn't jibe with last year when the talent should have been less at the lower level and his BABIP was .392 at AA and .329 at A+. I do think the move to relief may make him more dominant and lower the BABIP, but he was a reliever in AA last year and the .392 makes this season seem like something that shouldn't be believed IMO. A couple of months in the AFL may reveal something.

Having listened to him, last year as a reliever, he wasn't quite right in terms of how to go about everything. Toss in the fact that he is very likely a better pitcher this year than he was last year and we are starting to get somewhere. Now lets look at his batted ball profile....

He allowed the ball to be put into play, including HR's, 123 times this season. He allowed 17 line drives. That is a 13.8% line drive against rate. Guy's weren't squaring the ball up against him much this season at all. I think his BABIP relfects his batted ball profile pretty well. Maybe he was slightly lucky if we go with the LD%+ .120 to give us a .258 expected BABIP.

mth123
10-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Having listened to him, last year as a reliever, he wasn't quite right in terms of how to go about everything. Toss in the fact that he is very likely a better pitcher this year than he was last year and we are starting to get somewhere. Now lets look at his batted ball profile....

He allowed the ball to be put into play, including HR's, 123 times this season. He allowed 17 line drives. That is a 13.8% line drive against rate. Guy's weren't squaring the ball up against him much this season at all. I think his BABIP relfects his batted ball profile pretty well. Maybe he was slightly lucky if we go with the LD%+ .120 to give us a .258 expected BABIP.

I hope you're right. If so, a couple of months dominating in the AFL should make him an optoin to go north with the Reds in the spring. The AFL subs for a couple more months in AAA. That's great. It fits with my thoughts that the Reds should avoid spending money on Cordero or even going to arb with Masset. More money for a starter.

dougdirt
10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I hope you're right. If so, a couple of months dominating in the AFL should make him an optoin to go north with the Reds in the spring. The AFL subs for a couple more months in AAA. That's great. It fits with my thoughts that the Reds should avoid spending money on Cordero or even going to arb with Masset. More money for a starter.

If he has his control, he is good to go. His stuff is MLB ready. He just needs to make sure he can get it in the strikezone. I do need to go back and watch him throw about 15-20 innings in a row though.... just not at that point in my player evaluations yet.

Blitz Dorsey
10-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Really looking forward to seeing how Grandal and Boxberger in particular perform. Grandal might be trade bait at this point, but I would actually like to see the Reds keep him and go with a Mesoraco/Grandal platoon beginning in 2013 until one of them clearly separates himself from the other. I also think Boxberger is the Reds' closer-of-the-future. Probably not in 2012, but maybe by 2013. With Chapman moving to the rotation most likely and the Reds' unlikely to re-sign Cordero IMO, who is the best option as the closer? Ondrusek? Masset? A free agent that won't cost too much? Probably the latter, but that won't be easy to find. So, hopefully Boxberger is ready in the not-too-distant future because this organization needs him. Man that would be nice if he ends up being the answer at closer. His combined numbers from AA/AAA this season were very impressive, and let's keep in mind this was his first full season as a reliever.

GOYA
10-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Boxberger is good but he is not close to being a ML closer.

camisadelgolf
10-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Boxberger is good but he is not close to being a ML closer.
How far away is he?

cinreds21
10-04-2011, 11:19 AM
How far away is he?

I think he could close by 2013.

redsof72
10-04-2011, 12:39 PM
You look at the Reds 2011 AFL players and they did not have a lot of options. American players who were on a AA or AAA roster on August 1. One player can be a Single-A player (Greene). Throw out pitchers who were basically maxed out on innings and, particularly on the pitching side, there were not too many choices.

Cinreds21, what did you see of Travis Webb? How hard does he throw and how is his secondary stuff? Is there anything there that would lead you to believe he should be better than his numbers indicate?

I see he had a strong second half but he did not do particularly well vs. LH batters.

cinreds21
10-04-2011, 03:09 PM
You look at the Reds 2011 AFL players and they did not have a lot of options. American players who were on a AA or AAA roster on August 1. One player can be a Single-A player (Greene). Throw out pitchers who were basically maxed out on innings and, particularly on the pitching side, there were not too many choices.

Cinreds21, what did you see of Travis Webb? How hard does he throw and how is his secondary stuff? Is there anything there that would lead you to believe he should be better than his numbers indicate?

I see he had a strong second half but he did not do particularly well vs. LH batters.

Well once he moved to the bullpen, he really shined, as the numbers show. His fastball sat between 89-91. His secondary stuff isn't great, but it's good enough that he could be in a big league bullpen. Not eighth or ninth inning guy, but sixth or seventh for sure. He just looked better out of the pen, if that makes sense.

mth123
10-04-2011, 09:56 PM
In the opener for the AFL, Grandal went 1 for 3 with a walk.

Donnie Joseph pitched an inning an 2 thirds with a K and a walk.

Brad Boxberger pitched an inning and a third with 4 Ks and got the save.

texasdave
10-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Wednesday 10/5 Phoenix Desert Dogs romp 10-4.
Brodie Greene 1 for 4, 2RS - a three-run jack.
Cody Puckett 1 for 3 1RS - a two-run jack.
Nick Christiani 1 IP 0 H 0 R 0 BB 1 K.

dougdirt
10-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Wednesday 10/5 Phoenix Desert Dogs romp 10-4.
Brodie Greene 1 for 4, 2RS - a three-run jack.
Cody Puckett 1 for 3 1RS - a two-run jack.
Nick Christiani 1 IP 0 H 0 R 0 BB 1 K.

Wrong Green. The Green who went 1-4, 2r, 3 run bomb was Grant Green of the A's.

texasdave
10-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Wrong Green. The Green who went 1-4, 2r, 3 run bomb was Grant Green of the A's.

Grant Green needs to change his name then. :)

bellhead
10-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Well once he moved to the bullpen, he really shined, as the numbers show. His fastball sat between 89-91. His secondary stuff isn't great, but it's good enough that he could be in a big league bullpen. Not eighth or ninth inning guy, but sixth or seventh for sure. He just looked better out of the pen, if that makes sense.

Could it be that once guys see his stuff for an inning or two they are able to adjust and pick up the ball better? Or is he able to put more mustard on his stuff?

cinreds21
10-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Could it be that once guys see his stuff for an inning or two they are able to adjust and pick up the ball better? Or is he able to put more mustard on his stuff?

I think his stuff just transitioned better out fo the the bullpen for some reason. He's a better pitcher out of the pen. Sorry I am not sounding amazingly smart right now, I just can't think of the right words I wanna say for some reason. Sorry

camisadelgolf
10-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Webb said the transition helped him simply because he didn't have to worry about pacing himself like he did as a starter. He could come out and give more effort when he wasn't expected to pitch as long.

mth123
10-08-2011, 04:17 AM
On Friday,

Yasmani Grandal went 1 for 4 with a double
Cody Puckett went 0 for 2 with 2 walks
Travis Webb went 2 and third with 3 hits, 3 walks, 2 earned runs and a homer allowed. He struck out 3.
Donnie Joseph went an inning giving up 3 hits, a walk and 2 eared runs with 2 K's while taking the loss.
Brad Boxberger went a screless inning but gave up 2 hits and a walk while striking out the side.

Not an impressive day from the pitchers.

RedsManRick
10-08-2011, 06:43 PM
From Keith Law:
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/law_keith/id/7075147/blue-jays-prospect-anthony-gose-showing-star-potential

I expect to see Cincinnati Reds right-hander Brad Boxberger in their big league pen in 2012; he was 90-94 with a hard curveball at 81-84. Right-handed hitters will have a hard time picking up the ball because he comes slightly across his body. I'd like to see even a show-me change-up just so left-handers, who hit him better than righties did this year but still didn't hit him well, don't take too much advantage of his delivery.

mth123
10-08-2011, 07:13 PM
From Keith Law:
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/law_keith/id/7075147/blue-jays-prospect-anthony-gose-showing-star-potential

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Boxberger replaces Cordero or Masset and that money goes toward a starter. Hopefully Wlat see the same thing and foregoes this rumored extension of Cordero.

mth123
10-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Monday 10-10

Puckett goes 1 for 4 with a BB. He played 3B. Anyone know his viability there?

Joseph went 2 innings, gave up 4 hits and had a K. No runs though.

corkedbat
10-11-2011, 02:42 AM
In think as of now (barrin g a breakout in 2012), Puckett projects better as a utility player so he needs plenty of exposure to 3B (as well as 2B and LF). If you were to tie him down to one spot though, his bat would play better at 2B than 3B. Not sure about his D though.

Scrap Irony
10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Arm isn't quite that good, IMO. He reminds me of Ryan Freel or Pete Rose at the position, frankly. He's a gamer, but he'll never win a Gold Glove. Nor will he ever come close.

mth123
10-11-2011, 08:06 PM
10-11

Greene 2 for 4

Christiani and Boxberger each with a perfect inning and a K.

Grandal hurting? Not playing much.

mth123
10-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Checking in as of 10/14

Boxberger - 5.2 IP, 4H, 3BB, 0HR, 1ER, 11K, 1.59 ERA
Christiani - 4.0 IP, 1H, 0BB, 0HR, 0ER, 6K, 0.00 ERA
Joseph - 5.2 IP, 10H, 3BB, 0HR, 4ER, 5K, 6.35 ERA
Webb - 5.1 IP, 6H, 3BB, 1HR, 4ER, 6K, 6.75 ERA

Grandal - 7AB, 3 BB, 0HR, .286/..375/.429/.804
Greene - 18 AB, 1BB, 1HR, .278/.316/.444/.760
Puckett - 22 AB, 4BB, 2NR, .227/.346/.500/.846

BuckeyeRedleg
10-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Boxberger - 5.2 IP, 4H, 3BB, 0HR, 1ER, 11K, 1.59 ERA

Nice.

mth123
10-18-2011, 03:47 AM
Nice.

He Keeps rolling on Monday.

Boxberger

1 IP, 0H, 0BB, 0HR, 0ER, 1K.

Others:

Joseph

1 IP, 2H, 0BB, 0HR, 0 ER, 2K.

Puckett 0 for 2.

texasdave
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Tuesday 10/18:

Grandal plays for the first time since 10/7. 2 for 5 with a double and 2 rbis.
Christiani went 2.1 IP 5 H 2 ER 2 BB 0 K.

HokieRed
10-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Anybody know if Grandal can play the outfield?

dougdirt
10-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Anybody know if Grandal can play the outfield?

Very doubtful.

HokieRed
10-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Very doubtful.

Too bad. I was thinking into a post-Votto future, with maybe .850 bats at 1b, Lf, C, and RF.

Blitz Dorsey
10-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Boxberger=Reds closer-of-the-future. Not necessarily in 2012, but at least by 2013 IMO.

Imagine if him and Leake pan out. That would mean the Reds got their closer of the future and a mainstay in their starting rotation with the first two picks of the '09 draft (not in that order, of course). Now that's getting it done. Then getting Billy "103 steals" Hamilton in second round wasn't too shabby either. (Boxberger was a supplementary first-rounder of course.)

cinreds21
10-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Anyone notice that they are using Travis Webb at a "stater?" He only has thrown three innings at max, but still, kinda interesting to me.

dougdirt
10-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Anyone notice that they are using Travis Webb at a "stater?" He only has thrown three innings at max, but still, kinda interesting to me.

I have. I wonder if its because he has that experience and they just need arms or if there is something to it.

klw
10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
I believe today- Monday the 24th is the first day Chapman is supposed to throw in the AFL.

klw
10-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Gameday for today's game
http://www.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/y2010/index.jsp?gid=2011_10_24_pddwin_srrwin_1

Chapman is not the starting pitcher but is listed as an available pitcher for Phoenix.

klw
10-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Chapman threw one inning, 1 bb 1 k.

texasdave
10-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Aroldis Chapman went 1.2 innings his second time out. He gave up a single (picked the guy off) and a two-out bases empty walk in his second inning. Seems odd they would pull him at that point. He threw 27 pitches (13 strikes). In his two outings combined he has now thrown a total of 43 pitches, slightly less than half of them (21) have been strikes. He is going to have to do better than that unless he is gonna be another five-inning pitcher.

JaxRed
10-31-2011, 01:24 AM
My visit is getting close I'm flying out on the 8th and will be coming back on the 13th. Ballgames 9th - 12th.....

On an associated note..... Just bought my second home within 10 miles of ballpark. Closed Friday.... rented Friday night. (pending financial check Monday)

texasdave
10-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Chapman missed Monday's Arizona Fall League start due to arm soreness, MLB.com reports.

Potentially, not good. Could also explain why he was pulled in his last outing after issuing a two-out walk. Or it could be nothing.

cinreds21
10-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Yas pulled from AZL for good.

AWA85
10-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Yas pulled from AZL for good.

Thanks for the info Cinreds21...... not a very fun AFL from the guys I was excited to follow. B Box still has me very intrigued, but I was hoping to see Yas take a nice step forward.

Scrap Irony
11-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Can't help injuries, but, so far, Grandal seems a bit brittle, especially for play behind the plate.

dougdirt
11-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Can't help injuries, but, so far, Grandal seems a bit brittle, especially for play behind the plate.

Or, he is just a catcher and catchers tend to get dinged up by the nature of the position.

klw
11-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Or, he is just a catcher and catchers tend to get dinged up by the nature of the position.

Do we know what the injury was? Hopefully it was something which was only troubling in the short term and won't impact him come Spring Training. Only natural for a catcher to be pretty beat up and worn down by the time the season ends.

dougdirt
11-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Do we know what the injury was? Hopefully it was something which was only troubling in the short term and won't impact him come Spring Training. Only natural for a catcher to be pretty beat up and worn down by the time the season ends.

Finger injury. Should be good to go by spring training.