PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 8/22

chicoruiz
08-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Reds:

Milt Hill (46) Came up about the same time as Steve Foster; they're always linked in my mind.

Doug Bair (62)

Ned Hanlon- Managed the Reds in '06 and '07, but of course is best known for his great 19th-century Baltimore team, with Wee Willie Keeler, John McGraw, Wilbert Robinson, etc.

Others:

Jeff Weaver (35)

Randy Wolf (35)

Paul Molitor (55)

Carl Yastrzemski (72) Or however it's spelled...

Happy Felsch- Another of the Black Sox

Wally Schang- Catcher for the Yankees and A's; isn't in the HOF but was probably better than a few catchers who are (I'm looking at you, Schalk and Farrell...)

Kc61
08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
It just amazes me how time marches on. I remember Doug Bair and, of course, Yaz like yesterday.

Yaz, of course, was a great ballplayer one tough competitor. If I recall correctly, he had some harsh words for the Reds during the 1975 World Series.

cumberlandreds
08-23-2011, 08:20 AM
It just amazes me how time marches on. I remember Doug Bair and, of course, Yaz like yesterday.

Yaz, of course, was a great ballplayer one tough competitor. If I recall correctly, he had some harsh words for the Reds during the 1975 World Series.

I don't remember Yaz saying anything but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. He is not the most friendly person in the world.

Bob Borkowski
08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I don't remember Yaz saying anything but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. He is not the most friendly person in the world.

Yeah, I recall hearing at some point in the past that he said that he really didn't enjoy playing the game of baseball. It was his job and he did it but it wasn't fun, he said.

Wow, hard to imagine what that would be like for him considering the length of his career. But then, maybe he is the type of guy who wouldn't enjoy ANY kind of career that he might have.

oneupper
08-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Randy Wolf released today on his birthday.