PDA

View Full Version : The fall of Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns

Chip R
08-22-2011, 04:08 PM
From Grantland.

Not real enlightening as to why they fell but an interesting article nonetheless.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/2576/the-fall-of-austin-kearns-and-adam-dunn (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/2576/the-fall-of-austin-kearns-and-adam-dunn)

Sea Ray
08-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Nice catch. Thanks for posting it :)

TRF
08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Dunn is one year removed from a 76 extra base hit season, 38 HR's 36 doubles, 2 triples. He switched leagues, is known for playing hurt and is adjusting to life as a DH. he's adjusting poorly, but are we really thinking his career is over?

I'm not. I can see 7-8 very productive Jim Thome like years ahead. I still see 600 HR's in his future.

wlf WV
08-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Kearns should not have been lumped into the poor defense category. Their careers were entirely different. They just came up around the same time. Kearns was an excellent fielder,just was never the same batter after his wrist injury. I always liked them both. Lots of KOs are taxing for me though.

Scrap Irony
08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Dunn is one year removed from a 76 extra base hit season, 38 HR's 36 doubles, 2 triples. He switched leagues, is known for playing hurt and is adjusting to life as a DH. he's adjusting poorly, but are we really thinking his career is over?

I'm not. I can see 7-8 very productive Jim Thome like years ahead. I still see 600 HR's in his future.

Old man skills erode almost overnight.

Thome is the outlier that proves the rule, seemingly.

That said, Dunn would have to rededicate himself to the game, lose 40 or 50 pounds, and find a way to hit lefties at least a little. Otherwise, he's useless.

MrCinatit
08-22-2011, 06:21 PM
While it has taken a couple of years sooner, take a look at Jimmy Foxx as an example of a player who can fall apart very, very quickly. Pat Burrell. Ralph Kiner. Boog Powell.
Sure, Dunn could turn it around - and, yes, there is the league factor. But even with, this is a mighty, mighty fall.

westofyou
08-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Fox was quite the drunk.

Dunn ain't really near as bad off as Kearns his season is horrendous and he could be trending down but he is just off a year with 70 ebh. He'll get a chance to show what he has in the tank, Kearns meh.

Dan
08-22-2011, 07:07 PM
While it has taken a couple of years sooner, take a look at Jimmy Foxx as an example of a player who can fall apart very, very quickly. Pat Burrell. Ralph Kiner. Boog Powell.
Sure, Dunn could turn it around - and, yes, there is the league factor. But even with, this is a mighty, mighty fall.

Richie Sexson is a great recent example of this too.

VR
08-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Richie Sexson is a great recent example of this too.

I live in Richie's hometown. "Steroids" is the common term in the community when speaking of his rise to stardom.

Blimpie
08-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Kearns should not have been lumped into the poor defense category. Their careers were entirely different. They just came up around the same time. Kearns was an excellent fielder,just was never the same batter after his wrist injury. I always liked them both. Lots of KOs are taxing for me though.I agree completely. My mind could be fading, but I always thought he was an above-average OF with an exceptionally strong arm.

Now, as for that 3B experiment.....

LvJ
08-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Adam Dunn... I just don't have words for. This is such a big drop off. He hasn't even been streaky. He's been down right terrible all season long.

Kearns =
http://i.imgur.com/UVzAg.gif

Always Red
08-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Fox was quite the drunk.

...as depicted in the early 90's movie "A League of Their Own."

Apparently the Tom Hanks character, manager Jimmy Dugan, was loosely based on Jimmie Foxx and Hack Wilson. Foxx did manage for a time in the All American Girls Professional Baseball League.

Johnny Footstool
08-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Lazy article. Very little insight, fell back on Dunn's strikeouts, didn't even mention Ray King sitting on Kearns. That's probably the worst article I've seen on Grantland.

kaldaniels
08-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Lazy article. Very little insight, fell back on Dunn's strikeouts, didn't even mention Ray King sitting on Kearns. That's probably the worst article I've seen on Grantland.

Forget Grantland. That's the laziest Reds article I've read this year, and that speaks volumes. Author needs to up his game (and word count for that matter).

cincinnati chili
08-23-2011, 01:49 AM

Agreed. I didn't want to sound like a sourpuss as s Dunn fan, but I thought Grantland was developing some high standards. I won't be running out to buy this guy's book.

Resisting urge to make fun of funny-sounding name.

Ron Madden
08-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Forget Grantland. That's the laziest Reds article I've read this year, and that speaks volumes. Author needs to up his game (and word count for that matter).

I agree with Kal.