PDA

View Full Version : Chapman's future

brm7675
08-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Not how YOU want him to be used, but with the way the Reds have used him up to this point, what kind of future do you see him having with the Reds?

bshall2105
08-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Neftali Feliz = Aroldis Chapman

AintlifeGrande
08-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Kid was signed to start,which us what us all pretty much figured.Rather than be some $30 million dollar half inning,circus act to sell tickets.

R_Webb18
08-22-2011, 07:42 PM
id love to say start but cmon it almost seems to late now. should of never changed him to bullpen in 1st place.

Krawhitham
08-22-2011, 07:58 PM
He is the closer no question about it

The Reds claim you can only add around 30 innings a year to a pitcher, that would limit him to 77 innings as a starter next season

He signed a 6 year 30 million contract but if he qualifies for arbitration after 2012 he gets a 5M bonus and that contract is terminated and he becomes arbitration-eligible, they will not waste what could be his last season as a Reds in the minors being stretched back out to start

Vottomatic
08-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Reds screwed this situation up. I'm losing faith in management.

Old NDN
08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
The Reds evaluated Chapman as a starter. That's pretty much all he did for Cuba. They gave him 30 million and hoped to straighten out his control issues/mechanics. I can't see throwing that kinda money at a setup guy or would be closer. Let him work on being a starter in the offseason. It doesn't "require" him to spend time in the minors to become a starter, IMO. The starts he made for Cuba was against better competition, for the most part, than most minor league teams. It's not like it's something he has never done before.

brm7675
08-23-2011, 12:56 PM
As far as the money goes, if Chapman can be a dominate closer he would be way underpaid, look at what dominate closers make today.

Red Rover
08-23-2011, 04:41 PM
He is the closer no question about it

The Reds claim you can only add around 30 innings a year to a pitcher, that would limit him to 77 innings as a starter next season

He signed a 6 year 30 million contract but if he qualifies for arbitration after 2012 he gets a 5M bonus and that contract is terminated and he becomes arbitration-eligible, they will not waste what could be his last season as a Reds in the minors being stretched back out to start

If he is in the minors being stretched out, then it should delay his arbitration-eligibility.

texasdave
08-23-2011, 05:31 PM
If he is in the minors being stretched out, then it should delay his arbitration-eligibility.

According to Cot's the sixth year is a player option. So the Reds have him for three more years. Do you want three years as a closer or two years as a starter - with one year in the minors being stretched out? (Assuming he is successful in whichever path is chosen for him).

Note: I don't totally understand his contract. I am assuming if the sixth year is a player option then he can choose to be a free agent. That may not be anything close to reality.

Tadasimha
08-24-2011, 09:19 AM
The Reds evaluated Chapman as a starter. That's pretty much all he did for Cuba. They gave him 30 million and hoped to straighten out his control issues/mechanics. I can't see throwing that kinda money at a setup guy or would be closer. Let him work on being a starter in the offseason. It doesn't "require" him to spend time in the minors to become a starter, IMO. The starts he made for Cuba was against better competition, for the most part, than most minor league teams. It's not like it's something he has never done before.

That's not an outrageous amount for a closer these days, particularly one with the power arm that Chapman brings out. I can see him coming in in the 9th and blowing away batters all of next season - another off-season working on control and he's ready.

texasdave
08-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I see his future in pinstripes and the letters NYY.

R_Webb18
08-24-2011, 10:57 AM
I see his future in pinstripes and the letters NYY.

long way from that

Krawhitham
08-24-2011, 11:21 AM

I would assume he would not be in the minors the whole year. He would most likely qualify for super two status

Here is another thing, has Chapman thrown a changeup in the last year? All I ever see is Fastball and Slider, he will need to master a third pitch and maybe forth pitch to be a starter

Krawhitham
08-24-2011, 11:26 AM
According to Cot's the sixth year is a player option. So the Reds have him for three more years. Do you want three years as a closer or two years as a starter - with one year in the minors being stretched out? (Assuming he is successful in whichever path is chosen for him).

Note: I don't totally understand his contract. I am assuming if the sixth year is a player option then he can choose to be a free agent. That may not be anything close to reality.

If he does not qualify in 2012 he is a lock to qualify in 2013. As a closer he will be cheaper through arbitration than a starter and you know the Reds will go the cheaper route.

joe51391
08-24-2011, 11:47 AM
ok time to vent this team has no idea what to do with any of the players they have and it makes me sick. chapman was signed to be a starter and because they needed him for the playoff push they put him in the bullpen fast foward to spring training and they are still debating on if he is a starter or relief. fast foward to now we are going nowhere fast and he is still in the bullpen this team is clueless. now lets look at yonder he is playing everywhere and is not very good anywhere you put him well atleast the 2 games he got to play in the last month 2 years ago when they knew he was blocked at 1st they should have moved him to lf or traded him when his value was at its highest. now look at frazier can anyone tell me what position he is going to take over he has been everywhere the organization has no idea what to do with this kid he probly has the most talent on the team and yet since the day he signed he has played everywhere not getting a chance to develop at one spot. look this team is out of it and they need to start playing for the future so my lineup from here on out would be

cf heisey
2b phillips
rf bruce
1b votto
lf alonso
ss frazier
3b fransico
c mesaroco
p chapman

R_Webb18
08-24-2011, 12:58 PM
cf heisey
2b phillips
rf bruce
1b votto
lf alonso
ss frazier
3b fransico
c mesaroco
p chapman

that lineup is terrible. get rid of heisey. alonso won't play lf but id try 3rd. frazier is no good. it obv should go votto alonso bruce. then if mesaroco is a good hitter he should bat after bruce. then stubbs. if u rly think heisey is an upgrade were in trouble.

joe51391
08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
bruce could be one of the best hitters in the game with votto batting behind him he would see so many fastballs. stubbs is a good player and i like what he brings to the table but as far as him staying off of bad pitches and not swinging at good ones really buts a bad taste in my mouth. he needs to shorten his swing and stop tring to hit homeruns he could be one of the best leadoff hitters in the game if he could just make more contact. back to bruce hitting 3rd in my eyes i would have more veteran guys who have a good eye for the strike zone batting behind votto then. bruce will be alot better hitter with votto behind him i just wish dusty would relize that.