PDA

View Full Version : Monday 8-22-2011 Minor League Game Thread

texasdave
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Louisville trails 2-1 after 6.5. Is it time to kiss and make up with Edinson?
7IP 2H 2ER 2BB 5K.

texasdave
08-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Mudcats trail 6-4 in the middle of the fifth. Gregorius 2 for 2 with an HR. Campbell and Puckett with a pair of hits apiece. Josh Ravin struggling on the mound for Carolina.

texasdave
08-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Dayton up 4-2 after five. Slidin' Billy knocking on the door of the unusual, and maybe unprecented, 40/100 club. 40 errors and 100 stolen bases that is. Hamilton stole bases numbered 87 and 88. He also committed error number 37. Daniel Corcino is, well, dealing tonight. 5IP 2H 1ER 3BB 6K.

mth123
08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
7IP 2H 2ER 2BB 5K.

Volquez is finally past the 24 month mark from his TJ surgery. Its real possible he could improve by leaps and bounds next year. I wouldn't give him away.

I wouldn't count on him either though. If you get something good, deal him. If no decent offers come, keep him and see what happens.

In either case, plan the rotation as if he's not an option.

mace
08-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Francisco (2-4, 2B, .312) is swinging a hot bat. Be a good time to get him up.

Louisville lost 3-2.

mace
08-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Oh my. Dayton wins 17-1.

Hamilton: 4-6, 3 SB (89)
Torreyes: 2-6, 4 RBI, .358
Muller: 3-4
Lutz: 3-6
Duran: 2-5, 2B
Berset 3-4, 2 2B, HR
Bowe 2-3

mace
08-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Cingrani went 5 innings tonight for Billings, giving up 1 run and striking out 8. Mustangs lead 2-1 after six. Maddox, Buckey and Silva are 2-3.

kaldaniels
08-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Volquez is finally past the 24 month mark from his TJ surgery. Its real possible he could improve by leaps and bounds next year. I wouldn't give him away.

I wouldn't count on him either though. If you get something good, deal him. If no decent offers come, keep him and see what happens.

In either case, plan the rotation as if he's not an option.

If he continues to pitch well the rest of the year, he is penciled in my rotation for next season. Wood hasn't done anything to get back in. Willis is likely gone. Chapman probably won't be stretched out if they even choose to go that route. A few more good weeks and he's earned his way back...and I figure we'll see him at GABP before the year is out.

Blitz Dorsey
08-23-2011, 02:28 AM
7IP 2H 2ER 2BB 5K.

No, there is a list as long as the Ohio River of players that excelled in AAA that couldn't cut it at the MLB level. I want to see Edinson do it in the Show before I even think about changing my mind about that guy. I'm still convinced his ONLY good season in professional baseball was partially due to the fact he was juicing.

[This post was sponsored by Jeremy Hermida and Brandon Larson.]

Superdude
08-23-2011, 05:02 AM
No, there is a list as long as the Ohio River of players that excelled in AAA that couldn't cut it at the MLB level. I want to see Edinson do it in the Show before I even think about changing my mind about that guy. I'm still convinced his ONLY good season in professional baseball was partially due to the fact he was juicing.

[This post was sponsored by Jeremy Hermida and Brandon Larson.]

Because steroids have a long history of fixing control problems?

JayBruceFan
08-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Berset 3-4, 2 2B, HR

Looks like hell finally froze over :lol: :D

Hillsdale87
08-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Because steroids have a long history of fixing control problems?

Exactly. Even this year, Volquez was dominant when he was throwing strikes. He's still 3rd on the team in Ks. But when he wasn't on, he was horrible. His velocity is still about the same that it was in 2008. I see no reason that he can't be penciled in as the 5th starter next year. There's pretty low risk in that with obviously great rewards if he can regain form and throw strikes.

bellhead
08-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Most pitchers take two years to come back from tommy john surgery...

mth123
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM
If he continues to pitch well the rest of the year, he is penciled in my rotation for next season. Wood hasn't done anything to get back in. Willis is likely gone. Chapman probably won't be stretched out if they even choose to go that route. A few more good weeks and he's earned his way back...and I figure we'll see him at GABP before the year is out.

This is the same mistake Walt made coming into 2011. No matter what he does from here on out, he's still a question mark for 2012. Get 5 guys who you think you can count on. If Volquez is back, he's good enough to push the worst of the group aside. Chances are somebody comes up lame or has a horrid season and makes a spot for him anyway. Planning on Volquez creates a huge risk of coming up short if he crashes and burns. The Reds already made the mistake this year planning on Volquez, Bailey, Wood and Leake and only Leake worked out and the starting pitching has been so bad that it not only put the reds in a hole much of the time, but it burnt out the bullpen and turned a strength into a weakness.

At most I'd devote one spot to Volquez/Bailey/Wood to fight over. Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Acquisition who is better than at least two of them and a fifth spot for them to fight over (or Ideally two acquisitions with at least one of the questionable trio dealt and those remaining fighting for a chance.)

texasdave
08-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Mesoraco goes yard for the 14th time. 3 for 3 with 3 ribeyes. 4-3 Louisville in the 6th.

texasdave
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Carolina leads 4-2. We have a Justin Lehr sighting. 2 hits for Berry, Soto and Grandal. Gregorius now hitting .300.

texasdave
08-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Dayton leads 6-1. Slidin' Billy is 4 for 4. 91 steals on the year. Joshua Smith 6 shutout innings. 4 hits, 0 bases on balls, 8 Ks.

mth123
08-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Try tuesday TD

texasdave
08-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Try tuesday TD

Story of my life. A day late and a dollar short. :lol:

kaldaniels
08-24-2011, 02:32 PM
This is the same mistake Walt made coming into 2011. No matter what he does from here on out, he's still a question mark for 2012. Get 5 guys who you think you can count on. If Volquez is back, he's good enough to push the worst of the group aside. Chances are somebody comes up lame or has a horrid season and makes a spot for him anyway. Planning on Volquez creates a huge risk of coming up short if he crashes and burns. The Reds already made the mistake this year planning on Volquez, Bailey, Wood and Leake and only Leake worked out and the starting pitching has been so bad that it not only put the reds in a hole much of the time, but it burnt out the bullpen and turned a strength into a weakness.

At most I'd devote one spot to Volquez/Bailey/Wood to fight over. Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Acquisition who is better than at least two of them and a fifth spot for them to fight over (or Ideally two acquisitions with at least one of the questionable trio dealt and those remaining fighting for a chance.)

I'd love an acquistion that would force me to change my thinking, but until then I'm just thinking in terms of what we have.

mth123
08-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I'd love an acquistion that would force me to change my thinking, but until then I'm just thinking in terms of what we have.

If the Reds keep status quo again after this 2011 debacle, it will be the worst job of running a franchise in recent memory.