PDA

View Full Version : Nice Corky Miller piece

klw
08-22-2011, 09:12 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110822/SPT04/308220099/Corky-once-lifetime-guy-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Reds by John Erardi

This is the last place Dontrelle Willis expected to find Obi-Wan Kenobi.

“Corky Miller has got as much to do with me being back here as anybody,’’ Willis said after striking out 10 hitters and walking one during a recent Reds game at Great American Ball Park.

“He’s like Haley’s Comet – he’s a once-in-a-lifetime guy.”

As catcher-sages go, Miller is a combination of Jake Taylor (bad knees, irreverent) in the movie Major League, Hall of Fame New York Yankees catcher Yogi Berra (always funny, even when he doesn’t mean to be) and Crash Davis, played by Kevin Costner in the movie Bull Durham.

Mesoraco tells a story about Miller watching from the dugout earlier this year and detecting that Mesoraco was inadvertently tipping the pitcher’s pitches by the way his signaling arm was positioned. Miller knew every pitch that was coming.

“Quick learner,” Miller said of Mesoraco. “That was three months ago. I haven’t seen it since.”

And from Fay on Twitter but not in the piece

Speaking of Corky Miller, loved his quote to players complaining about autographs, doing interviews: "If don't like it, play worse."

camisadelgolf
08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
"If don't like it, play worse."
Of course that part was from Fay.

Ron Madden
08-23-2011, 05:25 AM
I really enjoyed reading this more than any other article this season.

Thank you for sharing it here. :thumbup:

Roy Tucker
08-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Read the paper copy this AM over my Cheerios and blueberries.

John Erardi does these feature articles extremely well. Great piece. Corky would make a great coach or manager someday.

lollipopcurve
08-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Great read. Corky = iconic.

Keep him in the organization.

CySeymour
08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Corky would make a great coach or manager someday.

That's the vibe I'm getting. I sure could see him being a manager fairly quickly once he hangs up his spikes.

cumberlandreds
08-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Great article. He's a baseball lifer who really loves the game. He wouldn't still be taking 10 hour road trips if he didn't love it. Corky may be the best asset the Reds have in their minor league system. Hopefully when the day comes that he can't play any longer he will be offered a full time coaching position in the minors with managing to come. The Reds could do much worse than him.
Also it really didn't surprise me that his given name really is Corky and not a nickname.

Ron Madden
08-23-2011, 12:42 PM
More of the story.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/08/23/more-on-corky-miller/