PDA

View Full Version : Heath Bell claimed on waivers by Giants.

The Operator
08-24-2011, 09:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6892003/san-francisco-giants-claim-heath-bell-san-diego-padres-waivers

Bell will become a member of the Giants' bullpen if San Francisco and San Diego can agree to terms on a trade. San Diego has 48 hours to decide whether to trade the three-time All-Star

This is quite a shock, and could have a significant impact on the race in the West. Do you guys think they'll actually be able to work out a trade?

Sea Ray
08-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Why is it a shock? Surely Bell would get claimed by someone. As for whether a deal can be worked out, I doubt it. If the Giants really wanted him they'd have been in a much better position to make a deal prior to Aug 1st.

mth123
08-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Why is it a shock? Surely Bell would get claimed by someone. As for whether a deal can be worked out, I doubt it. If the Giants really wanted him they'd have been in a much better position to make a deal prior to Aug 1st.

Brian Wilson wasn't hurt on August 1. I'd imagine they want him a lot more now than they did then.

Sea Ray
08-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Brian Wilson wasn't hurt on August 1. I'd imagine they want him a lot more now than they did then.

That's a good point. I didn't think Wilson's injury was very serious but if the Giants do pony up for Bell then we can assume it is

The Operator
08-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Why is it a shock? Surely Bell would get claimed by someone. As for whether a deal can be worked out, I doubt it. If the Giants really wanted him they'd have been in a much better position to make a deal prior to Aug 1st.I'm more shocked by the fact that SD put him on waivers at all.

I'll be interested to see if this pans out.

Sea Ray
08-24-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm more shocked by the fact that SD put him on waivers at all.

I'll be interested to see if this pans out.

Everybody goes on waivers in August. Surely you already knew that

The Operator
08-25-2011, 03:56 AM
Everybody goes on waivers in August. Surely you already knew thatWell, yes, but I wouldn't say everybody goes on waivers. But yes, many players do.

Sea Ray
08-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Some GMs, like Jim Bowden, would put their entire roster on waivers just to judge interest. It's a pretty screwy system unique to baseball

PuffyPig
08-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Bell hasn't been all that great this year.

His K rate has fallen dramatically.

He stats look as much like Cordero's as, well, Cordero's himself.

savafan
08-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Well, yes, but I wouldn't say everybody goes on waivers. But yes, many players do.

I think Boss and GIK have placed me on waivers. I heard there's been a claim, presumably by Motownsports.com.