PDA

View Full Version : Confused re Alonzo

Mutaman
08-24-2011, 09:21 PM
This whole Alonzo thing makes no sense to me. If he simply can't play the outfield, why couldn't somebody figure that out before he got called up? Why did they waste him playing 7o games in leftfield at Louisville? (During which time he made a grand total of 2 errors). Since Rowen says he has the potential to play 3rd, why didn't they decide that in spring training and play him at third all year at Louisville?

If the jury was still out on whether he could play the outfield when he was called up to the Reds, did they really decide that he couldn't based on three stupid games in Wrigley? That's rediculous.

I'm beginning to think that Alonzo is still a work in progress as far as the outfield is concerned and rather than just stick him out there and and give him a chance, for better or for worse, Dusty has decided that the important thing is this years record rather than the future. And thats insane.

nux fan
08-24-2011, 11:52 PM
dusty baker is stupidity run amok

DocRed
08-24-2011, 11:54 PM
LOL..and so it begins....:)

Mutaman
08-25-2011, 12:07 AM
I don't see where insulting Baker adds anything to the discussion. Indeed, if Alonzo is totally inept as an outfielder, than the decision to have him waste a year playing the outfield is more of an organizational mistake than it is a managerial one.

I just wish someone with some inside information would add some insight to this issue. I mean somebody must have seen him play left field at Louisville. Was he that inept?

nux fan
08-25-2011, 12:57 AM
if you are a young player and you get four hits and knock in four runs in your home town most reasonable maangers would at least play you one out of the two next games that is not an insult to Bakers just a recap of the wonder of toothpick brain

BurgervilleBuck
08-25-2011, 01:08 AM
that is not an insult to Bakers just a recap of the wonder of toothpick brain
This, fellow Sun Deckers, is an example of contradiction.

nux fan
08-25-2011, 08:55 AM
why do you think he did not play last night

brm7675
08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
The problem isn't Yonder, it's Walt and Dusty. They can't agree on Yonders ability and where and when he should play. It shows me "exactly" who is running this franchise and it's NOT the GM.

kfm
08-25-2011, 12:06 PM
why do you think he did not play last night

You really don't know? What position should he have played? He is a terrible left fielder. He is the worst left fielder I can remember. If this did not involve dusty people would only focus on how bad an outfielder Alonso is. We have all watched it, he has been bad in every game he has played in the outfield. He has misplayed balls, he cant get to balls that any other outfielder can. This thing is being discussed on the old red guard and the discussion is very different and the tone is much different as well.

Mutaman
08-25-2011, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=kfm;2472025] We have all watched it, he has been bad in every game he has played in the outfield. He has misplayed balls, he cant get to balls that any other outfielder can. QUOTE]

You mean all three of those games? If he was such a horrible outfielder why did they play him in those three games in the first place? If you can tell he's a horrible outfielder after 3 games, why couldn't guys who get paid to know this stuff, figure this out in spring training?

And the solution is- play Freddy Lewis? He's not exactly Caesar Geronimo out there. And he hits .240. And he won't be here next year.

Mutaman
08-25-2011, 12:18 PM
"* HE ISNT DIMAGGIO YET. I’m in complete agreement with getting Y. Alonso as many ABs as possible. But those who have already decided he’s a great major league hitter need to curb some enthusiasm.

Heading into yesterday’s games, Alonso had 29 at-bats, a .448 average, two homers and 8 BI.

After his first 29 ABs, Jay Bruce was .552, 3 and 7.

Feel me?

And yet…

* VINTAGE DUSTY. Always looking after individual players’ needs. In discussing his thinking re getting Alonso playing time, Baker said he didnt want to hurt Ace Cueto’s chances to win the ERA title. He didnt want to somehow damage the batting title aspirations of J. Votto.

What?

I guess you appreciate that, if you’re an individual player. But this is a team game. Since the Reds have been out of the race for a month at least, maybe players do chase individual goals. The manager shouldnt be concerned with that. Baker should be holding Next Year auditions, not worrying about Cueto’s ERA"

Paul Daugherty

nux fan
08-25-2011, 12:35 PM
daugherty comments says it all, the guy would rather worry about the ERA title than play the untested promising rookie

texasdave
08-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Joey Votto is not moving off of first. That means Alonso has to play another position. Now if Dusty thinks he can't play LF or 3B at this point in time then Yonder needs to be sent back to Louisville where he can regular playing time at one or the other positions. I think it is agreed that the Reds are out of the race. So that means all energies should be directed at getting this team ready for 2012. Sitting Yonder Alonso on the bench at the major league level does nothing. He needs to play in the field somewhere. And if it isn't in Cincinnati then send him back to Louisville. Someone in Reds management please man up and start making some decisions.

jwmann2
08-25-2011, 02:56 PM
He can't be any worse than Adam Dunn in left field...

drowg14
08-25-2011, 07:36 PM
According to mlb.com, Alonso could get time at third base.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110824&content_id=23675516&notebook_id=23686704&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

brm7675
08-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Can anyone explain why at this point in the season Yonder isn't playing every day somewhere. So what if he is bad in LF, what does it matter?

texasdave
08-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Can anyone explain why at this point in the season Yonder isn't playing every day somewhere. So what if he is bad in LF, what does it matter?

Maybe because Dusty thinks it is ultra-important to get to .500? Just a thought. For the record, I agree Yonder should be playing every game or almost every game. If he is going to sit the bench in Cincy then send him back to Louisville to get some regular work.
Of course the question could be asked 'why pull Wood out of the rotation in Louisville to sit the bench in Cincy?'. If you need an extra arm while Ondrusek is on the DL then bring up Fisher. Wood should have stayed in the rotation in Louisville.