PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 8/25

chicoruiz
08-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Reds:

Darrell Johnson- The pennant-winning '61 Reds had an open wound in their lineup at catcher all season. Johnson was brought in in August, but wasn't much help. Later, of course, he became famous as the Red Sox manager.

Others:

Justin Upton (24) -Both the Upton kids were August babies.

Gary Matthews Jr. (37) -I didn't put Little Sarge in with the Reds, even though he was in the organization for a bit.

Doug Glanville (41)

Albert Belle (45) -Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Oddibe McDowell (49) -Remember when the next great outfield in the majors was going to be the Texas threesome of Incaviglia, McDowell and Sierra?

Rollie Fingers (65)

Choo Choo Coleman- Classic interview exchange:

Interviewer: "So tell me, Clarence, how did you get the nickname 'Choo Choo'?"

Coleman: "I have no idea"

George Anderson
08-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Oddibe McDowell (49) -Remember when the next great outfield in the majors was going to be the Texas threesome of Incaviglia, McDowell and Sierra?

Where in the world did McDowell's parents come up with the name Oddibe?

UKFlounder
08-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Back when I thought Chris Berman had a fresh perspective on things, Oddibe "young again" McDowell was one of his best "nicknames" I heard (along with Jim "2 silhouettes on" DeShaies")

Bob Borkowski
08-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Reds:

Darrell Johnson- The pennant-winning '61 Reds had an open wound in their lineup at catcher all season. Johnson was brought in in August, but wasn't much help. Later, of course, he became famous as the Red Sox manager.

Others:

Justin Upton (24) -Both the Upton kids were August babies.

Gary Matthews Jr. (37) -I didn't put Little Sarge in with the Reds, even though he was in the organization for a bit.

Doug Glanville (41)

Albert Belle (45) -Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Rollie Fingers (65)

Choo Choo Coleman- Classic interview exchange:

Interviewer: "So tell me, Clarence, how did you get the nickname 'Choo Choo'?"

Coleman: "I have no idea"

Born on this day also was Pea Ridge Day who pitched for 4 seasons starting in 1924. Oh, man, those nicknames from back in that era! :)

mth123
08-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Born on this day also was Pea Ridge Day who pitched for 4 seasons starting in 1924. Oh, man, those nicknames from back in that era! :)

Bob, I love how you've revived these threads with additional comments. Keep them coming.:thumbup::thumbup:

Bob Borkowski
08-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Bob, I love how you've revived these threads with additional comments. Keep them coming.:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks. I'm trying to give chico's original threads more exposure. They were great and I'm hoping more people will take a look.