PDA

View Full Version : Thom Brennaman

WVRed
08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Been watching the Reds games lately and noticed Thom hasn't been calling any games for awhile. Is it due to football season getting ready to start?

cumberlandreds
08-26-2011, 12:29 PM
I would say he is gearing up for football on FOX. I think he does Big 10 games too. So he probably has to be doing some promotion and other things to get ready for the season. I would imagine we won;t hear much from him the rest of the baseball season.

traderumor
08-26-2011, 12:31 PM
So, Thom is with the right team most years? Done by August? :lol: :(

oneupper
08-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Silly question. Do announcers have agents? Or do they negotiate their time/schedules themselves?

cumberlandreds
08-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Silly question. Do announcers have agents? Or do they negotiate their time/schedules themselves?

I would think most high profile announcers, like Thom, do have agents.

Caveman Techie
08-26-2011, 01:24 PM
IIRC Thom is actually the boss of all the Reds announcers and he is the one who sets the schedule.

kaldaniels
08-26-2011, 01:29 PM
IIRC Thom is actually the boss of all the Reds announcers and he is the one who sets the schedule.

(Thom voice) You have GOT to be kidding me.

cumberlandreds
08-26-2011, 01:50 PM

In his mind he thinks he's the boss. ;)

westofyou
08-26-2011, 02:23 PM
The Reds are killing me with their complete and utter disaray in the booth, does any other team have as many announcing combos as the Reds? Does any team have as many crappy announcers as them?

Probably not, personally I find it lacking in continuity as well as talent, in fact it's downright pathetic.

oneupper
08-26-2011, 02:30 PM

(Welsh voice) You're right about THAT, Thom!

Always Red
08-26-2011, 02:39 PM

That was perfect, I could hear just the right amount of dramatic, righteous indignation. :D

REDREAD
08-26-2011, 02:42 PM
The Reds are killing me with their complete and utter disaray in the booth, does any other team have as many announcing combos as the Reds? Does any team have as many crappy announcers as them?

I guess they are trying to make up with poor quality with quanity :laugh:

About 3 weeks ago, I turned off the Reds radio for good (until next year).. This has been one of the worst radio announcing years ever.. We had Marty's usual railing on the players. We had Brantley's non-stop ice cream commericals. Kelch was probably the best of the worst, but he would prolong the agony by asking Brantley to elaborate on his stupid ice cream stories.. The trivia question has gotten more annoying. "Ask Marty" is the most pathetic feature ever.. I remember this one "Marty, if you had to make your own All Star Team out of former Reds players, who would you pick?"
Marty's response was an annoyed "I don't know".. Kelch had to painfully drag it out of him. Marty can't even spend 30 seconds to think before the question is asked. At least Brantley is prepared to answer the question when he does the feature.

Also, how many times do they have to tell us that Stubbs leads the league in strikeouts.. Why do they have to update us every inning on how the REds are doing with RISP? (Although they seldom update it after a good inning).

traderumor
08-26-2011, 04:11 PM
We could have Ken Coleman and Gordy Coleman again. I've never heard worse than Gordy. I know he was an ambassador for the team as his legacy, but an announcer he was not.

RANDY IN INDY
08-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Or Tom Hedrick and Bob Waller.

Chip R
08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
I think they should have a Wheel O' Announcers on the pre-game show. They put all the announcers names on a wheel and while all the announcers are waiting Jim Day spins the wheel to see who will be announcing for TV and radio. While the wheel spins the camera can show each announcers face to see how anxious they are (or not) to do the game that night. When the wheel lands on an announcer, they go to their respective booth and Jim Day spins again until they have all the spots filled up.

George Anderson
08-26-2011, 06:05 PM
That was perfect, I could hear just the right amount of dramatic, righteous indignation. :D

I always said Thom's announcing style reminds me of Burt Ward who played the role of Robin on the old Batman series.

Holy strikeout reds fans!!!

Always Red
08-26-2011, 06:16 PM
I always said Thom's announcing style reminds me of Burt Ward who played the role of Robin on the old Batman series.

Holy strikeout reds fans!!!

exactly!!
:beerme:

PS- I have met Thom on a number of occasions; he was very close with a member of my family who passed last year. Thom is a wonderful guy, and a generous man. However, i can speak objectively about his announcing style.

KronoRed
08-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Does any team have as many crappy announcers as them?

Probably not possible.

As for Thom, hooray for nepotism.

savafan
08-27-2011, 08:31 AM
I think they should have a Wheel O' Announcers on the pre-game show. They put all the announcers names on a wheel and while all the announcers are waiting Jim Day spins the wheel to see who will be announcing for TV and radio. While the wheel spins the camera can show each announcers face to see how anxious they are (or not) to do the game that night. When the wheel lands on an announcer, they go to their respective booth and Jim Day spins again until they have all the spots filled up.

If this would have been on Facebook, I would have clicked Like.

Redlegs
08-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Looking at his golden tan last night, I assumed he was on a nice beach vacation with his wife and kids. Unless he was taking a sodium lighting class at Xavier or UC.

Redsfan320
08-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Unless he was taking a sodium lighting class at Xavier or UC.

I don't think so, he would've been able to actually have a conversation with Chris about it, instead of being typical drama queen Thom, and going on about how astounded he was that Chris knew what "SODIUM LIGHTING?!?!?", was. :lol:

jojo
08-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Probably not, personally I find it lacking in continuity as well as talent, in fact it's downright pathetic.

The Reds broadcast philosophy is to announce to contact.

Screwball
08-27-2011, 09:46 PM
I find it funny/ridiculous Thom manages to invariably follow up the exclamation, "And there can be NO debate" with something that can certainly be debated.

Strikes Out Looking
08-27-2011, 10:06 PM

Rep points! They need to have 2-3 announcers on the radio and 2-3 different ones on the tv all year long. The reason the radio network was so strong for so many years, even with bad teams, was you could listen to Marty and Joe as you would listen to a favorite radio program. Now you really have no idea who is showing up.

Unassisted
08-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Been watching the Reds games lately and noticed Thom hasn't been calling any games for awhile. Is it due to football season getting ready to start?Maybe he was put on waivers, claimed by another team and the Reds let the other team have him? :D

Blitz Dorsey
08-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah, Thom really stinks. I yearn for the days of George Grande. [Sarcasm off.]

Still don't get the hate for Thom. And for the "nepotism" folks, I'm sure FOX didn't give him national gigs -- like announcing the BCS national championship game in college football -- because his dad happened to be a HOF baseball announcer. I'm sure Thom breaking into the business had a lot to do with Marty, but give the guy credit: He's worked hard and has continued to move up the ladder at FOX. I've met Thom and he's a nice guy. George Grande is a very nice guy too. The difference is one of them actually gives a damn whether the Reds win or not.

dougdirt
08-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah, Thom really stinks. I yearn for the days of George Grande. [Sarcasm off.]

Still don't get the hate for Thom. And for the "nepotism" folks, I'm sure FOX didn't give him national gigs -- like announcing the BCS national championship game in college football -- because his dad happened to be a HOF baseball announcer. I'm sure Thom breaking into the business had a lot to do with Marty, but give the guy credit: He's worked hard and has continued to move up the ladder at FOX. I've met Thom and he's a nice guy. George Grande is a very nice guy too. The difference is one of them actually gives a damn whether the Reds win or not.

Thom doesn't have a rooting interest in those games. HE does with the Reds. And that is what makes him a bad announcer for the Reds. He gets bitter. Just like his dad. It rubs me the wrong way, big time. I don't care to hear what you think makes someone good/bad or anything else. Especially since you are often very wrong about it. I care to hear you call the game.

nate
08-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Thom doesn't have a rooting interest in those games. HE does with the Reds. And that is what makes him a bad announcer for the Reds. He gets bitter. Just like his dad. It rubs me the wrong way, big time. I don't care to hear what you think makes someone good/bad or anything else. Especially since you are often very wrong about it. I care to hear you call the game.

I agree.

Except I don't care to hear Thom call the game.

signalhome
08-28-2011, 05:38 PM
I agree.

Except I don't care to hear Thom call the game.

Personally, I find Thom to be the worst broadcaster in sports. I would rather listen to Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver any day, and that's really saying something.

nate
08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Personally, I find Thom to be the worst broadcaster in sports. I would rather listen to Joe Morgan and Tim McCarvery any day, and that's really saying something.

It is!

wlf WV
08-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Seems to me Thom's problem is his identity.

He tries to be George Grande but he can't help the Marty that creeps in.

Then he spends time rectifying the Marty part,with Chris' help.

I don't mind him and Chris though. At least he admits mistakes and realizes his humanity.

Look Puffy,I learned to space.:) Sounds like my 1st grade primer.

Ghosts of 1990
08-28-2011, 11:07 PM
anyone hear the obscenity today from Thom when Masset balked? It was a big one

Blitz Dorsey
08-28-2011, 11:44 PM
anyone hear the obscenity today from Thom when Masset balked? It was a big one

No, are you serious? We talking F-bomb category here?

I still can't believe all the hate (or at least strong dislike) from so many on here about Thom. I would think after putting up with the disaster that was George Grande for so many years that anyone would sound good in comparison.

And Thom isn't just better than Grande, I think he's pretty good overall. Not great, but you guys are fooling yourself if you think he's a bad announcer. FOX wouldn't make him one of their top national broadcasters if he was nearly as bad as some of you are making him out to be. Then you had a guy like George Grande who was run out of ESPN (even when they weren't that big) and had trouble finding a job, which is why he took the gig with a team HE DIDN'T CARE ONE BIT ABOUT like the Reds. He had no other options. Give me a guy like Thom that actually cares/knows about the Reds over than someone like Grande who was always more concerned about telling some feel-good story about the opposing third base coach than he was giving you any ounce of insight about the Reds at all.

westofyou
08-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Thom Brennaman is to baseball announcing what Creed is to 90's rock.

Creed sold a bunch of records, they cared about the music, they were nice guys.

Epic Fail despite all that.

Same thing here.

KronoRed
08-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Fox puts James Timothy "Tim" McCarver on the air all the time, enough said about their choices in talent.

cumberlandreds
08-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Fox puts James Timothy "Tim" McCarver on the air all the time, enough said about their choices in talent.

I think my ears would burn off if I had listen to Thom and McCarver broadcast a game together. Pure torture.
I'm glad I was blacked out from the Reds broadcast this past weekend. The Nats announcers aren't great but I at least didn't have to listen to Thom moan and complain about everything coming and going.

reds1869
08-29-2011, 08:00 AM
I think Thom is decent as a national announcer, though football is more his thing than baseball. As a hometown guy he puts a little too much "frustrated fan" into his calls for my taste. He is, imo, much easier to listen to when the Reds are winning. He also tends to engage his mouth before his brain; you can always tell he's done so by the stunned silence coming from The Creeper. I don't think he is a "bad" announcer but I don't enjoy his FSN work.

Caveman Techie
08-29-2011, 08:11 AM
I think a lot of people just like to complain. You could put anyone in the booth and the consensus here on Redszone would be that they suck.

Personally, I like the fact that Thom is a fan first, most the time I like the fact that he is just as frustrated as we are.

Hoosier Red
08-29-2011, 08:35 AM

What's especially interesting to me is that when Nuxhall retired, then said he might like to do "a few games," the Reds balked because they didn't want one guy to be in and out of the announcing lineup. I think that meant they didn't want to pay for Steve Stewart's full season if they were only going to use him for 130 games.

Now Marty gets a few weeks of vacation in season every year, Brantley had a few weeks of vacation, Kelch has filled in admirably.

To be honest, I think the broadcasts are better because of the mix for the most part.

RichRed
08-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Same thing here.

Bingo.

Roy Tucker
08-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Just tell me about the dang ballgame. Don't tell me what you think. Tell me what you see.

Bah.

Blitz Dorsey
08-29-2011, 09:06 AM

That's actually a very-good point.

Blitz Dorsey
08-29-2011, 09:08 AM

Same thing here.

Ha! I like the Creed reference. Well played. Although, the lead singer of Creed is not a nice guy in the least. He's known in the industry as one of the biggest jerks around. Just ask the band 311.

Plus, Creed never made commercials holding kittens. I just don't see the connection.

:beerme:

lollipopcurve
08-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Same thing here.

As TB would say, nice.

nate
08-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Same thing here.

"Can you take me higher?"

High five!

nate
08-29-2011, 09:38 AM
I think a lot of people just like to complain. You could put anyone in the booth and the consensus here on Redszone would be that they suck.

Welcome to the internet!

:cool:

Hoosier Red
08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't mind Thom, though he's a little too absolute for my taste.

There are a lot of things that are absolutely the best, or absolutely the worst, or absolutely unacceptable.
162 games have a way of evening them all out.

Plus I'll never forget the "Spend 10 minutes with Tim Tebow and you'll become a better person" hyperbole which isn't at all related to the Reds but just bugged me because it again fed into the same pattern for him.

Tim Tebow isn't just a great guy, he's not just a great leader, he doesn't just have a lot of good things to say, you'll become a better person just for spending 10 minutes with him.

My friend always wanted to get on the banana phone when Thom was doing it and ask "If you become a better person after just 10 minutes with Tebow, why do so many of his teammates get arrested."