PDA

View Full Version : WTF Razor pulled off waivers

Krawhitham
08-26-2011, 01:53 PM
An unknown team claimed Ramon Hernandez on waivers, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (Twitter links). However, the Reds pulled the catcher back off of waivers, so he'll be staying in Cincinnati.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/ramon-hernandez-claimed-on-waivers.html

Jefferson24
08-26-2011, 02:04 PM
That was real smart. Now when Mez gets up here after the rosters expand he will have to share time with 2 other catchers. Heck, maybe he won't even get called up at all. Trading Hernandez would have opened a spot on the 40 man for Mez, that made to much sense I guess.

thorn
08-26-2011, 02:04 PM
An unknown team claimed Ramon Hernandez on waivers, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (Twitter links). However, the Reds pulled the catcher back off of waivers, so he'll be staying in Cincinnati.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/ramon-hernandez-claimed-on-waivers.html

Good move by the Reds, no need to give him up for nothing, either give up some quality for him or the Reds will take the draft pick once he moves on.

Jefferson24
08-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Good move by the Reds, no need to give him up for nothing, either give up some quality for him or the Reds will take the draft pick once he moves on.

If he doesn't accept arbitration, which is no certainty. If he does they are really in a pickle.

SeeinRed
08-26-2011, 02:32 PM
It can't be assumed that the team who claimed him was interested in trading for him, or was willing to give up any value for him. Devin will be up on Sep. 1 at the latest and Having Ramon until the end of the year will not affect him as much as some would like to believe.

The funny thing is, and I probably shouldn't admit this, my first thought is that the Cardinals claimed him to block the Reds from being able to make a trade. That of course is a rediculous thought and would be done only out of spite. in other words, something right up the Cardinals alley if you ask me. :D LOL

I'm only kidding of course.

Redsnake
08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
I would rather go into the off season trying to resign him and trading Hanigan. Then Mez can learn off Ramon.

Krawhitham
08-26-2011, 03:40 PM
If he doesn't accept arbitration, which is no certainty. If he does they are really in a pickle.

They will never offer arbitration, he would make 7-8 million if they did

HalMorrisRules
08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
They will never offer arbitration, he would make 7-8 million if they did

They can offer arbitration. If he accepts they still hold the option to trade him.

R_Webb18
08-26-2011, 05:31 PM
I would rather go into the off season trying to resign him and trading Hanigan. Then Mez can learn off Ramon.

id rather have hanigan

brm7675
08-26-2011, 05:46 PM

Reds won't get draft picks.

brm7675
08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
It can't be assumed that the team who claimed him was interested in trading for him, or was willing to give up any value for him. Devin will be up on Sep. 1 at the latest and Having Ramon until the end of the year will not affect him as much as some would like to believe.

The funny thing is, and I probably shouldn't admit this, my first thought is that the Cardinals claimed him to block the Reds from being able to make a trade. That of course is a rediculous thought and would be done only out of spite. in other words, something right up the Cardinals alley if you ask me. :D LOL

I'm only kidding of course.

I wouldn't be shocked NOT to see Devin brought up, no real reason to at this point, let him get a break and then battle for next season.

brm7675
08-26-2011, 05:48 PM

Why would the Reds ink Hanigan to a long term deal and then trade him?:confused::confused::confused:

Redsfan08
08-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Ramon is so much better than Ryan.

SeeinRed
08-26-2011, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't be shocked NOT to see Devin brought up, no real reason to at this point, let him get a break and then battle for next season.

There would be no reason not to. Minor League seasons come to a close around then and he would get a jump start on next year, which is likely the year the Reds are planning on him being their catcher. The Reds likely planned on trading Ramon, but if I'd have to venture a guess I'd guess the team that placed the claim prevented that from happening. He might not get the chance to be an everyday player yet, but getting his feet wet is only going to help him going into next season. He has nothing left to prove in AAA and won't be playing everyday if not brought up Sept. 1 anyway because the minor league season ends on the 5th. I could see them letting him finish the season, but it would be absolutely pointless not to give him the expierence at the end of the season when they are not playing for a playoff spot rather than waiting to next year when they will be counting on him to be a contributor.

DannyB
08-26-2011, 06:31 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/08/26/report-hernandez-staying-in-cincinnati/

"Baker then mentioned Devin Mesoraco, the Reds’ top catching prospect at Triple-A Louisville.

“I know everybody wants to see Mesoraco, including us, but he’s not on the (40-man) roster,” Baker said. “You’d have to clear a spot. It’s always important in the equation but it’s rarely mentioned, who you expose or who you might possibly lose.”

Eric the Red
08-26-2011, 10:48 PM
"Baker then mentioned Devin Mesoraco, the Reds’ top catching prospect at Triple-A Louisville.

“I know everybody wants to see Mesoraco, including us, but he’s not on the (40-man) roster,” Baker said. “You’d have to clear a spot. It’s always important in the equation but it’s rarely mentioned, who you expose or who you might possibly lose.”[/QUOTE]

We all know Dusty has a propensity to make dumb comments but this one is the mother of dumb comments. Is he seriously concerned the Reds could lose Kris Negron or Chris Valaika or Carlos Fisher? I mean that would just cripple the organization for years. C'mon Dusty, wake up, play Yonder more and quit being a moron.

Pete4prez
08-26-2011, 11:13 PM
I would go ahead with the trade of Razer. He is not going to be with us next year anyway, with Razer leaving this will free up a roster spot for Marasco.

powersackers
08-27-2011, 02:36 AM

“I know everybody wants to see Mesoraco, including us, but he’s not on the (40-man) roster,” Baker said. “You’d have to clear a spot. It’s always important in the equation but it’s rarely mentioned, who you expose or who you might possibly lose.”

Hermida (would be doing him a favor) and Valliquette (24 year old injured relief pitcher with a career 1.5 WHIP mostly at AA and below) but are not worthy of a 40-man.

texasdave
08-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Move Rolen from the 15-day to the 60-day DL. That should do it.

Jefferson24
08-27-2011, 02:32 PM
I would go ahead with the trade of Razer. He is not going to be with us next year anyway, with Razer leaving this will free up a roster spot for Marasco.

Exactly. They should have traded him to the team that claimed him. I don't care what they offered. What is he worth to the Reds now? 5 weeks of baseball is what you have left, he takes up Mez's spot on the 40, they can't take the chance of offering him arbitration.

They should have made the trade!

The DARK
08-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Hermida (would be doing him a favor) and Valliquette (24 year old injured relief pitcher with a career 1.5 WHIP mostly at AA and below) but are not worthy of a 40-man.

Valiquette is already gone. I'm not sure if that leaves the 40-man at 39 or 40.

powersackers
08-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Valiquette is already gone. I'm not sure if that leaves the 40-man at 39 or 40.

Yes I see on the 18th we released Valiquette. Next up on the bubble would be Kris Negron, 25 year old batting .199 in over 400 2011 AAA at bats. It it was up to me Janish, Lewis and Hernandez would not be on the 40-man either via releases or trades.