PDA

View Full Version : MLB Network reacts to Earthquake

LvJ
08-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Earthquake at MLB - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2hiyLID1sY&feature=player_embedded)

:laugh::laugh:

Should we go somewhere?

medford
08-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Is there any truth to that last part? Well I assume some truth, but I can't imagine an 8.0 would just dissengrate manhatten. A ton of damage? absolutely, but they make it sound like it would just be swallowed into the atlantic. Sounds more like a tall tale to me.

Reds1
08-26-2011, 04:49 PM
That was hilarious. I take it they weren't live with a coupe cuss words going out there. Thanks for sharing.

RBA
08-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Real responsible journalism right there. Way to calm down the public talking about the possibility of an 8.0 on New York City.

dougdirt
08-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Is there any truth to that last part? Well I assume some truth, but I can't imagine an 8.0 would just dissengrate manhatten. A ton of damage? absolutely, but they make it sound like it would just be swallowed into the atlantic. Sounds more like a tall tale to me.

I bet it would absolutely destroy that place. The buildings there aren't designed to handle medium size earthquakes, much less very large ones. A 7.0 would destroy any city here on the east coast/midwest.

The Voice of IH
08-26-2011, 06:12 PM
That guy who said the s word twice should be fired. ridiculous.

kaldaniels
08-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Was this live, or was this just a taped segment that rougely got released? I'd guess the latter but could be wrong. If it was live, above criticism is valid. If not, put the pitchforks down.

Brutus
08-26-2011, 06:56 PM
That guy who said the s word twice should be fired. ridiculous.

Family Guy - The Freaking FCC - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDPT0Ph5rA)

VottoFan54
08-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Real responsible journalism right there. Way to calm down the public talking about the possibility of an 8.0 on New York City.

If you hear about an earthquake and tune to MLB Network for updates then you have bigger problems.

cincinnati chili
08-27-2011, 02:13 AM
1. I'm kinda guessing that wasn't live and they knew it. If anyone finds out this was live, then this is just fantasically awesome.

2. Much, much less than an 8.0 would knock down every old building in Manhattan. But I don't think people realize how rare those earthquakes are. This article from Columbia University estimates only a 1.5% chance that a 7.0 will hit Manhattan in any 50-year period:
http://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/2235

But it also posits that the risk of a consequential earthquake in NYC is underestimated.

Brutus
08-27-2011, 09:59 AM
1. I'm kinda guessing that wasn't live and they knew it. If anyone finds out this was live, then this is just fantasically awesome.

2. Much, much less than an 8.0 would knock down every old building in Manhattan. But I don't think people realize how rare those earthquakes are. This article from Columbia University estimates only a 1.5% chance that a 7.0 will hit Manhattan in any 50-year period:
http://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/2235

But it also posits that the risk of a consequential earthquake in NYC is underestimated.

I agree with everything here. There are certain neighborhoods that would be extremely susceptible to liquefaction and no doubt the damage would be severe in those neighborhoods.

I also think they were not live. You could tell after they realized they were being hit with an earthquake, they sort of shifted out of their 'professional' demeanor and started talking to one another as if they were off-air. I would be surprised if that was a live segment.

RBA
08-27-2011, 12:22 PM
I agree with everything here. There are certain neighborhoods that would be extremely susceptible to liquefaction and no doubt the damage would be severe in those neighborhoods.

I also think they were not live. You could tell after they realized they were being hit with an earthquake, they sort of shifted out of their 'professional' demeanor and started talking to one another as if they were off-air. I would be surprised if that was a live segment.

Sometimes they feed these shows to other facilities for production purposes while they are being taped lived. So someone could of intercepted via a homebrew satellite or microwave setup and taped it themselves.