PDA

View Full Version : Relievers You Like

mace
08-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Every year, it seems, a few relievers break out with stellar stats that may or may not be repeatable. This year's class features the likes of Brad Boxberger, Drew Hayes, Daniel Wolford, Alejandro Chacin, Chris Manno, Blaine Howell and Travis Webb, among others.

I'm sure sure how valid it is to rate relievers, since we never quite know who's going or coming in that role, but it might be interesting to hear about who you like. Hayes, Chacin and Webb, in particular, have caught my attention.

If I had to whip up a top dozen, it might look something like this:

1. Boxberger
2. Jeremy Horst
3. Jordan Smith*
4. Donnie Joseph
5. Hayes
6. Webb
7. Manno
8. Wolford
9. Nick Christiani
10. Howell
11. Chacin
12. James Allen

* not sure why I still include him but not Carlos Fisher

Others worth considering, in my view (including some who, like Joseph, have not been particularly productive this year):

Chris Joyce
Chad Rogers
Jerry Gil
El'Hajj Muhammad
Brooks Pinckard
Carlos Patino
Ryan Kemp
Ryan Smith
Luca Panerati
Brian Pearl
Mace Thurman

You can find all their numbers in one place on this page at baseballreference.com:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/affiliate.cgi?id=CIN&year=2011

dougdirt
08-27-2011, 03:00 PM
I think that the plan for Brian Pearl is to go back to starting next season, but they kept him in the bullpen this year since he was coming off of the injury. I am about 90% sure that I heard that somewhere.

Scrap Irony
08-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Minor league relievers are unreliable prospects at best. Each year, it seems, I get excited about one or another. And the next year, that guy's gone on to record an era north of 6.00.

Therefore, I've given them up. All of them.

mth123
08-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Minor league relievers are unreliable prospects at best. Each year, it seems, I get excited about one or another. And the next year, that guy's gone on to record an era north of 6.00.

Therefore, I've given them up. All of them.

No doubt. But if we have them, may as well get some idea about them. I still like Carlos Fisher, but he seems to get the yips in the big leagues. Mace Thurman, in his second year back from surgery, might be a guy to watch in 2012. Nick Christiani's numbers look so so, but he's moved up quickly and might be a guy to watch as he settles in. Boxberger with the Ks looks good but not sure about his control. I think Jeremey Horst looked good getting lefties out. Don't know about the lower level guys so much. Donnie Joseph will be interesting. Hopefully he bounces back. Skeptical of Jordan Smith.

This might be a spot to watch. Masset and Bray are arb eligible and Arredondo might be (not sure). These guys could all be trade candidates for money reasons. Cordero is gone and Chapman may still wind up starting. The Reds may need to look to some of these guys in a year or two to save some bucks and replace the relatively short shelf life that relievers tend to have anyway. They may even need a couple as soon as 2012.

redsof72
08-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Pearl, yes, starter next year. Lets hope he gets totally healthy.

Rogers is underrated. Pretty consistent 94 mph fastball. Hayes is 94-95.

Dragons tonight used four pitchers and three Corcino, Rogers, and Hayes, were hitting 94 all night long. Hayes hit 95 a few times. Howell, a lefty, was 90-91 and nasty...three batters, three strikeouts, not so much as one foul ball.

Not many relievers have come through this system is recent years with arms like that.