PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 moves for Reds to make this offseason

Blitz Dorsey
08-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Interesting read from a Reds blog on the four most-important moves the Reds need to make this offseason. I don't agree with all of them, but it's food for thought. The four moves listed are:

* Find an everyday LF (duh)

* Package Alonso, Bailey and Volquez in a trade for a TOR starter like James Shields or for an everyday LF.

* Make Chapman a starter.

* Find a closer. Either an internal option or finding a FA vet relatively cheap.

http://www.threewaychili.com/reds-2011/august/reds-surge-past-500-four-key-moves-to-make.html

Will M
08-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Cueto, Leake & Arroyo as the 5th starter. I'd love to see us get 2 guys who are #1 or #2 starters to go with these 3 guys.

I'd leave Chapman in the pen. I am of the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it school'

it seems to be that the Reds need 2 guys who can hit higher than 6th or 7th. Cozart & Stubbs are solid defensively at SS & CF but they don't get on base. I doubt the team plans to hit Mes/Hanigan higher than 7th. So I'd like to see whoever plays 3B & LF to be guys who can get on base and hit higher than 6th. another slugging driven OPS bat doesn't seem to be what we need. Rolen is still around so thats going to complicate things.

Assuming Alonso can't play 3B here is what I'd try to do if I were the Reds.

2B Phillips
3B Rolen paired with a left handed utility bat
1B Votto
LF acquisition
RF Bruce
CF Stubbs
C Mes/Hanigan
SS Cozart

SP: acquisition, Cueto, Leake, Bailey/acquisition, Arroyo
RP: Chapman, Bray, Lecure, Masset, etc

we need a left fielder, more left handed bats, more OBP guys & upgrades in the rotation. this is not news. guys to dangle: Volquez, Wood, Bailey, Grandal, Alonso, Sappelt. it can be done but it will take some money as well as the team being active as well as creative in the offseason.

corkedbat
08-29-2011, 01:20 AM
I'd pretty much agree with the four priorities.

* They definitely need a middle of the lineup bat.
* I would love a TOR starter and Shields would be at the tiop of my list
* I'm not totally against leaving Chapman in the pen, but if they do decide to stretch him out then I'd like to see them add a late-inning lefty to the mix in the pen
* In one of the several deals the Reds need to make this offseason, I would like to see them add another potential closer to the mix (and possibly a young 3B)

GAC
08-29-2011, 05:01 AM
I'm still somewhat torn concerning where Chapman should be playing (closer or SP). Marty, for once, actually did bring up a good point though in yesterday's game concerning Chapman and his periodic wildness and walks..... it's far more "harmful" (for lack of a better word) when coming out of the bullpen in the latter stages of a close game then if they were spread out over 5-6 innings as a starter. Meaning the team could probably absorb (overcome) it better. That may be true.

As for a LF?..... this FO will continue, due to cost, to look in-house, whether it's Heisey, Sappelt, who knows.

They definitely need to strengthen their bullpen IMO. Especially if they are even considering putting Chapman in the rotation. It's been way too inconsistent for my blood. And I think that can be done rather cheaply.

We're also need to be looking for a 3Bman. Rolen enters the last year of his contract, and his career is about toast. Let him be mentoring someone next year.

Not having a consistent clean-up guy (run producer) this year - did we set a ML record this year for LOB? - really hurt this team IMO. We need to find some way to get Alonso into this lineup and see what he can do in that department.

wlf WV
08-29-2011, 07:05 AM
I'm still somewhat torn concerning where Chapman should be playing (closer or SP). Marty, for once, actually did bring up a good point though in yesterday's game concerning Chapman and his periodic wildness and walks..... it's far more "harmful" (for lack of a better word) when coming out of the bullpen in the latter stages of a close game then if they were spread out over 5-6 innings as a starter. Meaning the team could probably absorb (overcome) it better. That may be true.

As for a LF?..... this FO will continue, due to cost, to look in-house, whether it's Heisey, Sappelt, who knows.

They definitely need to strengthen their bullpen IMO. Especially if they are even considering putting Chapman in the rotation. It's been way too inconsistent for my blood. And I think that can be done rather cheaply.

We're also need to be looking for a 3Bman. Rolen enters the last year of his contract, and his career is about toast. Let him be mentoring someone next year.

Not having a consistent clean-up guy (run producer) this year - did we set a ML record this year for LOB? - really hurt this team IMO. We need to find some way to get Alonso into this lineup and see what he can do in that department.

Welsh had the same observation about Chapman.

Control was more important for closer and mechanics would refine quicker as a starter.

schroomytunes
08-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Alright this is a good topic so here's my 2 cents!

1) LF- we need a middle of the order bat bad!
2) SS- too much of a black hole this year!
3) #2 starter or better
4) Closer

1) I could live with Ryan Ludwick here, he will post better overall numbers in GABP, I'm thinking .250/ .320obp/ .800slg

2) Cozart's job to lose but wouldn't mind if we kicked the tires on Clint Barmes to backup.

3) We simply must package players to acquire a TOR guy next year. I'm thinking Alonzo, Volquez, Wood and Francisco for Ricky Romero of Toronto!

4) Francisco Rodriguez- he will want to close again and we simply need a backend guy!

lineup
1) 2b-brandon Phillips
2) ss-Zach Cozart
3) 1b-Joey Votto
4) RF- Jay Bruce
5) LF-Ryan Ludwick
6) CF-Drew Stubbs
7) 3B-Scott Rolan
8) C-Devin Mesoraco

Starters
1)Ricky Romero
2)Johnny Cueto
3)Mike Leake
4)Homer Bailey
5)Bronson Arroyo

PuffyPig
08-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Francisco Rodriguez- he will want to close again and we simply need a backend guy!

Cordero, part 2?

nate
08-29-2011, 09:42 AM
1) I could live with Ryan Ludwick here, he will post better overall numbers in GABP, I'm thinking .250/ .320obp/ .800slg

An .800 SLG would be pretty awesome!

:cool:

Blitz Dorsey
08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Cordero, part 2?

Probably thinking one-year deal as opposed to four. Also, well less than $12 mil per.

Not sure if they could pull it off, but if the Reds could sign a decent veteran closer for one year at $6 mil or so ... and move Chapman to the rotation ... I would like me some of that. I just don't think any of the in-house options like Ondrusek (who would be my favorite of the contenders), Masset and Boxberger are ready ... and I think Chapman should be a starter and not a closer.

CesarGeronimo
08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Reds' Top 4 Moves

1. After having fallen out of contention too early in 2011, finish strong to convince management that the Reds are progressing toward where they need to be with the personnel they've got.

2. Discuss how the team needs a LF, SS and some pitching.

3. Talk about how potential trade partners for bigger pieces just want too much and how payroll is tight.

4. Eventually, sign a 38-year-old or two and somebody fast with a low career OBP.

HokieRed
08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
One thing I wouldn't do: trade the guy on the mound tonight, who still has the best stuff in the organization.

nate
08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
1. Improve SP
2. Improve SP
3. Improve RP
4. Make the left side of the defense league average

Always Red
08-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Cordero, part 2?

CoRo? ;)

Always Red
08-29-2011, 09:23 PM
1. Improve SP
2. Improve SP
3. Improve RP
4. Make the left side of the defense league average

I vote for this.

mth123
08-31-2011, 05:36 AM
My 4.

1. Chapman is closer
2. Yonder Alonso, Yasmani Grandal, Paul Janish and Nick Masset for James Shields and Reid Brignac
3. Edinson Volquez, Juan Francisco and Jordan Smith for Logan Morrison
4. Fred Lewis and Matt Maloney for Matt Thornton

# Pos Name $ B/T
1 P Johnny Cueto 5.40 R
2 P James Shields 7.00 R
3 P Bronson Arroyo 7.00 R
4 P Homer Bailey 1.00 R
5 P Mike Leake 0.60 R
6 P Travis Wood 0.42 L
7 P Sam Lecure 0.50 R
8 P Jose Arredondo 1.00 R
9 P Logan Ondrusek 0.50 R
10 P Bill Bray 2.00 L
11 P Matt Thornton 5.50 L
12 P Aroldis Chapman 3.25 L
13 C Ryan Hanigan 1.20 R
14 C Devin Mesoraco 0.42 R
15 1B Joey Votto 11.00 L
16 2B Br. Phillips 12.00 R
17 SS Zach Cozart 0.42 R
18 3B Scott Rolen 7.80 R
19 IF Reid Brignac 0.42 L
20 IF Miguel Cairo 1.00 R
21 LF Logan Morrison 0.50 L
22 CF Drew Stubbs 0.60 R
23 RF Jay Bruce 5.00 L
24 OF Chris Heisey 0.44 R
25 U Todd Frazier 0.42 R

Ex $ Injury add ons 1.50
Ex $ Fran. Cordero 1.00

Total Payroll 77.89

Sappelt, Phipps, Horst, Boxberger, Gregorious, H-Rod and probably Corky Miller and some other vets would be available in AAA.

Slyder
08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
What about trying to sign Michael Cuddyer? He has shown he's willing to play about everywhere for the twins. He's played mostly Second base and Right field but has also played a handful of games at third base, and a few games in LF.