PDA

View Full Version : Will Votto sign long term with Reds?

Redlegs
08-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Do you think Joey Votto will eventually sign a long term deal to stay in Cincinnati?

redsmetz
08-30-2011, 07:31 PM
My "yes" is a leap of faith - really have no way of knowing, but I could see that it's a possibility.

MikeS21
08-30-2011, 07:32 PM
I voted NO. He will either go home to Toronto, or sign for the big $$$'s from the Yankees, Red Sox, or one of the handful of teams that don't need to worry about one player taking too big a chunk of the payroll.

But I think he has made it clear he is not staying in Cincinnati. All this stuff about "too far in the future" is hooey, and only a means to divert the inevitable distraction that would come if he came right out and said he was leaving. There is NOTHING the Reds can do to keep him.

CTA513
08-30-2011, 07:33 PM
My guess is hes waiting to see if the Reds plan to fill the holes on the team or keep trying to fill them with junk.

Redlegs
08-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I think he has made it clear he is not staying in Cincinnati. All this stuff about "too far in the future" is hooey, and only a means to divert the inevitable distraction that would come if he came right out and said he was leaving. There is NOTHING the Reds can do to keep him.Exactly how I see it.

Redhook
08-30-2011, 08:24 PM
I voted NO. He will either go home to Toronto, or sign for the big $$$'s from the Yankees, Red Sox, or one of the handful of teams that don't need to worry about one player taking too big a chunk of the payroll.

But I think he has made it clear he is not staying in Cincinnati. All this stuff about "too far in the future" is hooey, and only a means to divert the inevitable distraction that would come if he came right out and said he was leaving. There is NOTHING the Reds can do to keep him.

Sad, but true.

mth123
08-30-2011, 08:42 PM
My guess is hes waiting to see if the Reds plan to fill the holes on the team or keep trying to fill them with junk.

I think so too. IMO, Walt's lack of progress the last two years is pushing Votto out the door. I think the Reds can afford him and I think he'd stay if he could be convinced that Cincy wasn't a rinky dink, fly by night operation. So far they haven't done anything to convince anybody of anything.

IMO, Votto wants to win more than the organization does. If he leaves, that will be the reason and not the money.

oneupper
08-30-2011, 09:27 PM
No. I'd give it a 5% chance and only if they work out a huge extension in the next few months. In another thread I stated at least 7/125.
Once into 2013 there's no chance he's staying.
He will be in great demand once he hits the open market.

AtomicDumpling
08-30-2011, 09:28 PM
I think so too. IMO, Walt's lack of progress the last two years is pushing Votto out the door. I think the Reds can afford him and I think he'd stay if he could be convinced that Cincy wasn't a rinky dink, fly by night operation. So far they haven't done anything to convince anybody of anything.

IMO, Votto wants to win more than the organization does. If he leaves, that will be the reason and not the money.

I agree. I think Votto is willing to sign a long term contract to stay in Cincinnati, but he is also very aware that the Reds are unlikely to offer him a fair market contract for a player of his caliber. He knows the Reds' plan is to spend just enough money to stay on the fringes of competitiveness without ever committing the resources required to make a legit try for a championship. The Reds have plenty of money available should they choose to spend it, but they won't. They value profit far more than they value winning baseball games. The Reds are rapidly squandering their window of opportunity and good players & their agents are fully aware of that. It is extremely frustrating for star players when their team passes up every chance to improve the talent level season after season. When a team has obvious holes in the lineup and makes no serious attempt to fix those holes it makes a star player's mind begin to wonder what it would be like to play somewhere else where the ownership really wants to win and is willing to do what it takes to win.

George Anderson
08-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Makes me sick to say but I see him in pinstripes.

WMR
08-30-2011, 09:54 PM
He gone.

Captain Hook
08-30-2011, 10:37 PM
The truth is no one really knows.There's no doubt that Joey is weighing his options but those that are saying that there's no chance he stays are really off imo.No wonder there's so much talk of trading one of the best players in the game.The reigning MVP isn't signed for 2013 and beyond so he's had to of made up his mind that he's taking the first flight out of Cincinnati once his contract is up.Sure I'd be thrilled if he'd come out and say "I want to stay and I will do it for less and what the heck, let's make for the rest of my career" but that stuff just doesn't happen.I don't really believe he's made up his mind at all.He gets asked about it all the time and he talks about how he likes the city and enjoys playing for the Reds but does talk about the possibility of leaving.He has addressed some of the difficulties the Reds might have signing him but says nothing about a desire to play elsewhere even if the Reds are able to match other offers.If the Reds offer 120 million over six years I'd bet he'd take it.Maybe it would take 7 and 140 and who knows,a 10 year 200 million dollar deal might be what he's going to want but either way I don't see why the Reds can't afford him.If they pony up the money,and I think they will, I think he'll stay.So imo the answer is yes.

savafan
08-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree. I think Votto is willing to sign a long term contract to stay in Cincinnati, but he is also very aware that the Reds are unlikely to offer him a fair market contract for a player of his caliber. He knows the Reds' plan is to spend just enough money to stay on the fringes of competitiveness without ever committing the resources required to make a legit try for a championship. The Reds have plenty of money available should they choose to spend it, but they won't. They value profit far more than they value winning baseball games. The Reds are rapidly squandering their window of opportunity and good players & their agents are fully aware of that. It is extremely frustrating for star players when their team passes up every chance to improve the talent level season after season. When a team has obvious holes in the lineup and makes no serious attempt to fix those holes it makes a star player's mind begin to wonder what it would be like to play somewhere else where the ownership really wants to win and is willing to do what it takes to win.

My feelings exactly, and as a fan of the team, it'd be hard, but I don't think I could blame him.

Caveat Emperor
08-30-2011, 11:55 PM
If he wanted to be here, he'd have been signed already.

savafan
08-31-2011, 12:02 AM

Not necessarily. You never know what the market is going to be like, or what the make up of the team will be in the future. I find it hard to blame Votto for waiting.

Captain Hook
08-31-2011, 12:06 AM

How do you know that what the Reds were offering was a good deal for Votto?Are you saying that if he really wants to be here he should just take what the Reds are offering right now,more then a full two years ahead of when his current contract is up,and be happy?

Caveat Emperor
08-31-2011, 12:27 AM
How do you know that what the Reds were offering was a good deal for Votto?Are you saying that if he really wants to be here he should just take what the Reds are offering right now,more then a full two years ahead of when his current contract is up,and be happy?

It's entirely possible that the Reds best offer, financially, doesn't represent a "good deal for Votto" when compared to what other teams will be able to offer.

Captain Hook
08-31-2011, 12:42 AM
It's entirely possible that the Reds best offer, financially, doesn't represent a "good deal for Votto" when compared to what other teams will be able to offer.

What makes you think the Reds would make their best offer to Joey more then two years before his current contract is up?I for one would hope they wouldn't.Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to mess around to the point that Joey is insulted but I also wouldn't blame them for taking a shot at a home town discount.Joey doesn't seem insulted and there still is well over two years for the two to negotiate.

Blitz Dorsey
08-31-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm really getting sick of all the anti-Canadian slurs I am seeing on here. Admit it, some of you just don't like Joey because he's not American.

(Kidding.)

Caveat Emperor
08-31-2011, 01:52 AM
I'm really getting sick of all the anti-Canadian slurs I am seeing on here. Admit it, some of you just don't like Joey because he's not American.

(Kidding.)

I make it a point to never trust a man who can't tell his ham from his bacon.

Ron Madden
08-31-2011, 03:47 AM
He gone.

I think so too.

RedsManRick
08-31-2011, 12:45 PM
I don't think he signs an extension before his contract is up. At that point, he'll consider his options in FA. Most likely, the Reds won't be able to offer the most money, the best chance to win, nor the best place to live (and possibly raise a family). Save for existing personal relationships, I don't see why he's sign here long term.

Given his age, his next contract could very well be his last and is nearly guaranteed to be his last big one. When you're in a career that lasts 15 years if you're lucky, you make the most of it.

lollipopcurve
08-31-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't think he signs an extension before his contract is up. At that point, he'll consider his options in FA. Most likely, the Reds won't be able to offer the most money, the best chance to win, nor the best place to live (and possibly raise a family). Save for existing personal relationships, I don't see why he's sign here long term.

Given his age, his next contract could very well be his last and is nearly guaranteed to be his last big one. When you're in a career that lasts 15 years if you're lucky, you make the most of it.

Yep. Combined with the fact Votto is a highly rational person who has likely already turned down added security and $$$ from the Reds... can't see it happening.

PuffyPig
08-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I voted no but he might still.

I don't think he has no intention of signing with us, he just doesn't know.

He'll be 30 when he's a FA, so I believe he was simply being smart not signing a 5-6 year contract with us, as he would have been a FA when he was 32-33 and likely wouldn't have gotten a huge deal at that age.

With a 3 year deal, he retained the option of being a FA at age 30 when he could still cash in for a 8-10 years contract.

RedEye
09-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Joey's really smart. It's what makes him great -- and it's what makes him quite unlikely to stay beyond 2013.

cincrazy
09-01-2011, 09:10 PM
If Votto had any chance of staying in Cincy a deal would've been done already. The longer mid to small market teams wait to sign these guys, the less chance they have of keeping them. If Votto tests the FA market, he's gone. And he's given every indication he absolutely plans on testing the FA market. He's doing that for a reason.