PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider this trade?

Ohayou
08-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Blue Jays get:

Joey Votto

Reds get:

Ricky Romero
Kyle Drabek
Brett Lawrie
Eric Thames

Plus their top-rated prospect.

Jefferson24
08-31-2011, 12:37 AM
are you for real?

If you trade Votto you better get one heck of a player in return, I would demand a known quantity.

The DARK
08-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Bad for both sides. Blue Jays trade away their future for an expensive first baseman who won't raise them above the Yankees and Red Sox anytime soon, and the Reds trade away their playoff hopes for a bunch of unknown quantities and minor upgrades.

ervinsm84
08-31-2011, 05:57 AM
To trade votto to Toronto, its virtually mandatory that bautista be included for me to consider it.

Vottomatic
08-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah, what's strange to me is that most of the proposed Bautista for Votto trades include another Reds player.

Frankly, I think the Blue Jays should be including another player because Votto is younger and more well rounded than Bautista.

Ohayou
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
are you for real?

If you trade Votto you better get one heck of a player in return, I would demand a known quantity.

You would be getting five. Brett Lawrie doesn't interest you?

This is all speculation anyways. Toronto is too smart to do this trade, and the Reds already have a good strong nucleus of players. Nobody wants to disrupt that. I understand Votto is the cornerstone of this franchise, someone they should be building around. But what if he was in his walk year? Would you do it then?

texasdave
08-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Blue Jays get:

Joey Votto

Reds get:

Ricky Romero
Kyle Drabek
Brett Lawrie
Eric Thames

Plus their top-rated prospect.

I would do this trade so fast heads would spin at the border.

DocRed
08-31-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't think the Blue Jays would trade those 4....let alone their top prospect as well.

plowshareredfan
08-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Why are we so eager to trade the best player weve seen in Cincy since the BRM era? So we will be ready for the 2014 season when AND IF Vottos contract is up. Im tired of worrying about the future of the Reds like we have been doing for the past ten seasons. We have one of the best players to ever wear a Reds uniform and everyone wants to trade him. If he leaves in 2014 we have his replacement ready so lets keep the one player in our lineup who gives us a chance to win every night out.

bounty37h
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah, what's strange to me is that most of the proposed Bautista for Votto trades include another Reds player.

Frankly, I think the Blue Jays should be including another player because Votto is younger and more well rounded than Bautista.

I strongly agree, I dont trade Votto for Bautista straight up, need at least one more IMO-I just think Bautista is a mirage.

Ohayou
08-31-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't think the Blue Jays would trade those 4....let alone their top prospect as well.

For a reigning MVP who seems to be getting better, signed through 2013? I would expect no less than a king's ransom.

Why are we so eager to trade the best player weve seen in Cincy since the BRM era? So we will be ready for the 2014 season when AND IF Vottos contract is up. Im tired of worrying about the future of the Reds like we have been doing for the past ten seasons. We have one of the best players to ever wear a Reds uniform and everyone wants to trade him. If he leaves in 2014 we have his replacement ready so lets keep the one player in our lineup who gives us a chance to win every night out.

I agree. This thread is just for fun, though.

FireDusty
08-31-2011, 12:06 PM

We love him, but he isn't going to stay. If we wait until next offseason, he's only signed for 1 more tear and his value dimminishes.

We would love to keep him. I love him. We can't afford him. So we better sell when he has cost certainty to the buyer, which makes his vakue higher.

Vottomatic
08-31-2011, 12:24 PM

Me too. If they'd throw in Bautista. :D

Vottomatic
08-31-2011, 12:26 PM
We love him, but he isn't going to stay. If we wait until next offseason, he's only signed for 1 more tear and his value dimminishes.

We would love to keep him. I love him. We can't afford him. So we better sell when he has cost certainty to the buyer, which makes his vakue higher.

Agreed.

I said on another thread that the Reds should make it known this offseason that every Reds player is available for the right offer. Then see if they get any other team willing to overpay for some players.

mroby85
08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
How did I know this thread was about Joey Votto before I even opened it, Joey Votto trade threads should be banned.

Ohayou
08-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Anything and everything should be open to discussion. Otherwise what's the point of message boards?

Vottomatic
08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
How did I know this thread was about Joey Votto before I even opened it, Joey Votto trade threads should be banned.

His value will be at it's all time highest this offseason.

1 MVP Award.
Was good enought to win another.

After next season, he has one more year then he walks. This offseason, another team could acquire him and have him for 2 more seasons.

mroby85
08-31-2011, 03:16 PM
His value will be at it's all time highest this offseason.

1 MVP Award.
Was good enought to win another.

After next season, he has one more year then he walks. This offseason, another team could acquire him and have him for 2 more seasons.

This is a joke right? You just said the same exact thing in a different way about what the team acquiring him will have left on his contract, opposed to the Reds. Why is his value at an all time high, without it having the same value to the Reds?

drowg14
08-31-2011, 03:22 PM

While this is true, I like the Brewers method. They know they are losing Fielder this year. So instead of giving up and rebuilding, they built themselves up for a playoff run this year. We have Votto for 2 more years, so we can build for a 2 year playoff run. 2 years of playoffs is also a greater value than 1 year in the playoffs.

What good are prospects and the future if that future never comes. Players like Votto don't come around often. And in small markets they don't stay for long when they do. So when you get one, you go balls out while he is still there.

texasdave
08-31-2011, 03:42 PM
While this is true, I like the Brewers method. They know they are losing Fielder this year. So instead of giving up and rebuilding, they built themselves up for a playoff run this year. We have Votto for 2 more years, so we can build for a 2 year playoff run. 2 years of playoffs is also a greater value than 1 year in the playoffs.

What good are prospects and the future if that future never comes. Players like Votto don't come around often. And in small markets they don't stay for long when they do. So when you get one, you go balls out while he is still there.

What has Walt done since the 2010 playoffs to make you think he is "going for it"? What prospects has he given up since then to plug the obvious holes on this team?
I do agree that a 2-year playoff run is of greater value than a 1-year run. So let's see 2010 and 2011. This year would have been year number two. 2011 was the year to push hard. But Walt dawdled and wasted this season. This team should have gone, to paraphrase you, "balls to the wall" this season. Renteria and Lewis equal "balls to the wall"? Hardly. And does going all out mean you may have to overpay a little? I think it does. You don't want to get fleeced, but filling those holes were extra important this year.
So we know Walt was reticent to go all in for 2011. Have you seen anything lately that indicates he might go all in for 2012/2013? I haven't.
All I keep hearing and reading is that he is happy with this mediocre ballclub and there are no deals out there that make any sense. All the holes this club has to fill and he can't figure out a way to plug any of them? Odd.
I really have little to no hope for the next two years with this current management team in place.

Sadly, Joey Votto probably sees the same thing. I pray I am wrong. I sincerely wish for some major pieces to be added over the winter. I want a winning team that makes a deep playoff run. But I'm not holding my breath.

drowg14
08-31-2011, 03:53 PM
What has Walt done since the 2010 playoffs to make you think he is "going for it"? What prospects has he given up since then to plug the obvious holes on this team?
I do agree that a 2-year playoff run is of greater value than a 1-year run. So let's see 2010 and 2011. This year would have been year number two. 2011 was the year to push hard. But Walt dawdled and wasted this season. This team should have gone, to paraphrase you, "balls to the wall" this season. Renteria and Lewis equal "balls to the wall"? Hardly. And does going all out mean you may have to overpay a little? I think it does. You don't want to get fleeced, but filling those holes were extra important this year.
So we know Walt was reticent to go all in for 2011. Have you seen anything lately that indicates he might go all in for 2012/2013? I haven't.
All I keep hearing and reading is that he is happy with this mediocre ballclub and there are no deals out there that make any sense. All the holes this club has to fill and he can't figure out a way to plug any of them? Odd.
I really have little to no hope for the next two years with this current management team in place.

Sadly, Joey Votto probably sees the same thing. I pray I am wrong. I sincerely wish for some major pieces to be added over the winter. I want a winning team that makes a deep playoff run. But I'm not holding my breath.

I am not saying he HAS done this, or that I think he WILL do this. I am saying this what I would like to see out of the next 2 years instead of trading Votto now. But you are right. The message they are sending to the fans is that they are happy with the status quo.

texasdave
08-31-2011, 03:55 PM
I am not saying he HAS done this, or that I think he WILL do this. I am saying this what I would like to see out of the next 2 years instead of trading Votto now. But you are right. The message they are sending to the fans is that they are happy with the status quo.

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you had. I was just posing questions. And calling it as I see it from down here in Texas.

drowg14
08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you had. I was just posing questions. And calling it as I see it from down here in Texas.

So one question I would ask. Did the management team truly think that no big upgrades were needed during last offseason? Or did they just say that so they could get away with doing nothing?

If the former is true, that SHOULD mean they are willing to make some changes after the failure this year, assuming no good options were available to upgrade problem areas at the deadline. Unless of course they see this year as the accident, or that the players who had problems this year will magically be better next year.

If the latter is true, 2012 won't be much better.

Ohayou
08-31-2011, 05:01 PM

Speaking of Fielder and the Blue Jays, that's where I'm predicting him to end up.

drowg14
08-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Speaking of Fielder and the Blue Jays, that's where I'm predicting him to end up.

That team would mash.

TheBigLebowski
08-31-2011, 06:46 PM

As would I. A GM would have to be out of his mind to refuse that.