PDA

View Full Version : Reds to add seven - including Mesoraco, activate Heisey

cinreds21
08-31-2011, 05:29 PM
The Reds revealed a day early their plan for September call-ups. And top catching prospect Devin Mesoraco is on the list.

Outfielder Chris Heisey will be activated from the 15-day DL. 3B Juan Francisco, INF Chris Valaika, RHPs Carlos Fisher and Jared Burton and LHPs Matt Maloney and Jeremy Horst are all coming up.

RHP Edinson Volquez and LHP Travis Wood are expected to join the Reds after Louisville’s season concludes on Sept. 5

HeatherC1212
08-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Yay for Devin!! I'm happy for all the guys coming up but especially for Devin because he's had such a great year. Can't wait to see him with the big club tomorrow! :jump:

TRF
08-31-2011, 05:39 PM
It should be noted that Volquez has had a nice season at AAA. His stuff has never been the question. Can he make a Cueto like leap in maturity? can he realize that talent can only take you so far?

_Sir_Charles_
08-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Of all of them, the one I have felt bad for was Francisco. This should have been his year to show what he could do but his injuries couldn't have happened at worst times. He's had a really bad run of luck.

And yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Devin can do...behind the dish. I know he can hit.

And Maloney...he's been so good in the minors for so long, I'd really like to see him put it all together in the bigs and finally stick. He's had a VERY solid season.

mace
08-31-2011, 05:55 PM
So that's everybody on the 40-man except Grandal, Negron, Smith and Thompson.

Degenerate39
08-31-2011, 06:12 PM
I thought Burton was out for the seasoN?

klw
08-31-2011, 06:16 PM
I thought Burton was out for the seasoN?

No he had been out on rehab assignment in Az for a bit and most recently in AAA. He was activated and optioned to AAA around the time that Valiquette was released.

corkedbat
08-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I would be surprised if Negron and Thompson are stiill on the 40 for long - Valaika either. I was kind of surprise that Valaika was brought up, but I guess they wanted some MI depth.

I'd work Maloney and Wood from the pen, but I'd give Volquez at least rwo or three starts. Personally, I'd have brought up Smith over Fisher.

klw
08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Boy do we have the potential for a fun day game after a night game end of series businessman special lineup tomorrow!

lf Sappelt
2nd Frazier
1st Alonso
CF Stubbs
3rd Francisco
c Mesoraco
Rf Heisey
ss Valaika
SP Leake

cinreds21
08-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Sorry, but that's horrible numbering lol.

klw
08-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Sorry, but that's horrible numbering lol.

Do you mean the order, the bad spelling, the 1 instead of 1st or 3 from the scorebook, or the inconsistent capitalization? :D

cinreds21
08-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Do you mean the order, the bad spelling, the 1 instead of 1st or 3 from the scorebook, or the inconsistent capitalization? :D

That one.

klw
08-31-2011, 06:30 PM
That one.

Yeah thinking and typing at the same time this late in the day is proving problematic at the moment.

reds44
08-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Any word if Mesoraco will see some time in LF or 3B? SS maybe?

Matt700wlw
08-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Another top prospect for Dusty to sit on the bench!

_Sir_Charles_
08-31-2011, 07:22 PM

LOL. Okay, now THAT was funny. :O)

Big Klu
08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Time to play everyone's favorite game show, "Guess The New Guy's Number"!

Today's contestant is a former first-round pick from Punxsutawney, PA: Devin Mesoraco!

My guess is #9, with #26 as the darkhorse. (There is also an outside chance he sticks with his Spring Training number of #65, and chooses a new number next spring.)

batsfan
08-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Time to play everyone's favorite game show, "Guess The New Guy's Number"!

Today's contestant is a former first-round pick from Punxsutawney, PA: Devin Mesoraco!

My guess is #9, with #26 as the darkhorse. (There is also an outside chance he sticks with his Spring Training number of #65, and chooses a new number next spring.)

#36. It was his number in Louisville

JaxRed
08-31-2011, 07:47 PM
I was hoping Rick Sweet would get the call.

batsfan
08-31-2011, 07:54 PM
I was hoping Rick Sweet would get the call.

Tonight is his 1000th game as the Bats manager. Why in the world haven't the Reds brought him up yet???

Redsfan320
08-31-2011, 08:00 PM

I don't think they'll give up a player's number who was on the 25 as recently as a couple months ago, and is still on the 40 (Volquez). I pick 9

George Anderson
08-31-2011, 08:01 PM

I heard he played pitcher in little league.

:beerme:

Big Klu
08-31-2011, 08:08 PM

I don't think they'll give up a player's number who was on the 25 as recently as a couple months ago, and is still on the 40 (Volquez). I pick 9

As Redsfan320 mentioned, #36 is probably not available, since it is currently issued to a player on the 40-man roster who has some pedigree (Volquez).

WVRedsFan
08-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Volquez? Yuck. AAA is not MLB.

KronoRed
08-31-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm officially complaining right now that Mesoraco is not getting enough starts.

mth123
08-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Day Game Tomorrow. My Line-up:

Phillips 2B
Sappelt CF
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Mesoraco C
Alonso LF
Frazier SS
Francisco 3B

VR
08-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Hopefully Mes proves he can hit good MLB pitching. This offense needs more than Votto as a consistent threat.

Will M
08-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Volquez? Yuck. AAA is not MLB.

i am ok with seeing Volquez again. the season is over. the Reds are playing for pride & also seeing what we have for 2012. i have a feeling that Volquez is IN the plans for 2012 and that he won't be dealt this off season. so hopefully he pitches better this time. plus he is probably going to take over for Leake once Mike hits a certain innings limit.

Unassisted
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
plus he is probably going to take over for Leake once Mike hits a certain innings limit.
Fay tweeted that Leake would be shut down for the season after 2 more starts and Volquez would take his spot in the rotation.

kaldaniels
08-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Fay tweeted that Leake would be shut down for the season after 2 more starts and Volquez would take his spot in the rotation.

Leake should be good to go starting next season regarding pitching a full year, right?

WVRedsFan
08-31-2011, 11:47 PM
I am simply amazed that this organization continues to hope against hope that Edinson Volquez will ever be more than what we've seen. Deal him so some other organization can hope against hope like Cincinnati did. I guess we got one season out of him before he regressed to the norm.

Superdude
09-01-2011, 12:12 AM
I am simply amazed that this organization continues to hope against hope that Edinson Volquez will ever be more than what we've seen. Deal him so some other organization can hope against hope like Cincinnati did. I guess we got one season out of him before he regressed to the norm.

There was the whole TJ thing. Not saying it's a sure thing, but there's reason to believe he might get his control back next season. If that happens, he's definitely worth hanging onto.

RedsManRick
09-01-2011, 12:28 AM
There was the whole TJ thing. Not saying it's a sure thing, but there's reason to believe he might get his control back next season. If that happens, he's definitely worth hanging onto.

It's the references to getting his control "back" that are misguided. At no point in his career has he ever had much control. Sure, he might get back to a 11% BB rate, but that's still way below average. I wouldn't cut him loose, but he's never been and will likely never be a top of the rotation guy -- or close to it. Frankly, I'd try him as closer...

Guacarock
09-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Day Game Tomorrow. My Line-up:

Phillips 2B
Sappelt CF
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Mesoraco C
Alonso LF
Frazier SS
Francisco 3B

Radical solution, but then again, the current solution isn't working and isn't likely to work anytime soon with the stats being posted by the veteran benchmen we've seen pressed lately into fulltime duties. If you think Janish singlehandedly sandbagged the Reds with his noodle bat, then ponder these August splits.

Lewis, .095/.191/.095/.287
Renteria, .203/.278/.390/.628
Cairo, .230/.262/.377/.639

I'm not going to argue that Alonso will part the Red Sea, or that Frazier or Sappelt are going to set the world on fire anytime soon. But all of them have better here-and-now stats than the above-named vets, and all of them matter more for our future.

Let's bring them on full-tilt in September, along with Mesoraco. If any of them can't cut the mustard individually, then let the senior backfill close the gaps, or turn loose Francisco and Valaika. Whatever, develop a half-way cohesive plan and strategy for September that makes more sense than the near-total meltdown we've seen in August.

You can excuse losing if there's a method to the madness. But when there's no method, no strategy, no plan, when you can't justify the results on the basis of merit, or performance, or short-term results, or long-term gains, then you can't maintain the status quo -- you gotta get radical.

WVRedsFan
09-01-2011, 12:51 AM
It's the references to getting his control "back" that are misguided. At no point in his career has he ever had much control. Sure, he might get back to a 11% BB rate, but that's still way below average. I wouldn't cut him loose, but he's never been and will likely never be a top of the rotation guy -- or close to it. Frankly, I'd try him as closer...Frankly, I think it's time to cut bait and move on. Texas snookered the Reds and it's time to admit that, even if the danger of keeping Hamilton was pretty evident. And then again, every major league scout has communicated to their respective GM that the kid is a loose cannon and that makes him worth not so much. So it's really not that easy.

That said, and as long as many will tout his AAA numbers (they've always been good), it's not the same. And I'd like to see what Wood and Maloney can do because I already know what Edinson can do. Kind of stuck with him, no matter what. Dusty has no problem letting Yonder rot on the bench, so why not Volquez? I have no idea, but then again, I'm an insurance agent and there are guys who do this for a living. I just don't understand...

WVRedsFan
09-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Radical solution, but then again, the current solution isn't working and isn't likely to work anytime soon with the stats being posted by the veteran benchmen we've seen pressed lately into fulltime duties. If you think Janish singlehandedly sandbagged the Reds with his noodle bat, then ponder these August splits.

Lewis, .095/.191/.095/.287
Renteria, .203/.278/.390/.628
Cairo, .230/.262/.377/.639

I'm not going to argue that Alonso will part the Red Sea, or that Frazier or Sappelt are going to set the world on fire anytime soon. But all of them have better here-and-now stats than the above-named vets, and all of them matter more for our future.

Let's bring them on full-tilt in September, along with Mesoraco. If any of them can't cut the mustard individually, then let the senior backfill close the gaps, or turn loose Francisco and Valaika. Whatever, develop a half-way cohesive plan and strategy for September that makes more sense than the near-total meltdown we've seen in August.

You can excuse losing if there's a method to the madness. But when there's no method, no strategy, no plan, when you can't justify the results on the basis of merit, or performance, or short-term results, or long-term gains, then you can't maintain the status quo -- you gotta get radical.Exactly. Failures for 2011 include Janish, Renteria, Lewis, Heisey (ducking and running), and if not for a few games, Cairo. Why couldn't we change it up a bit? The answer is Dusty Baker. Hearing his explanation on why he isn't playing Alonso was proof enough. Dusty is fighting for his managerial life and he feels a lot of pressure for a winning season and would rather go with the known than the unknown. It's up to Walt Jocketty to assemble a team without toys for Dusty to play with. The Freddie Lewises and Paul Janishes and the Edgar Renterias must be elimanated. Will that happen? I won't hold my breath.

Superdude
09-01-2011, 01:37 AM
It's the references to getting his control "back" that are misguided. At no point in his career has he ever had much control. Sure, he might get back to a 11% BB rate, but that's still way below average. I wouldn't cut him loose, but he's never been and will likely never be a top of the rotation guy -- or close to it. Frankly, I'd try him as closer...

It's not misguided at all though; Volquez's control got markedly worse post TJ. The guy was an anchor/borderline ace in '08. Saying that he won't be any good even if he gets back to the 11% BB rate just doesn't make any sense.

Scrap Irony
09-01-2011, 02:08 AM
I hope Mesoraco plays virtually every day, if only to avoid threads insisting on Baker's love of vets.

As for Volquez, the next month will go a long way in determining what the Reds' plans for pitching are in 2012, IMO. You can write down Cueto's name in ink. Leake is there too, IMO. Arroyo and Bailey are pencilled in, assuming no deals.

Chapman, Wood, and Volquez are, as of now, fighting for that last spot. (Willis and Maloney are window dressing.)

Personally (and I cannot believe I'm typing this), I hope Wood and Volquez continue their season-long struggles in September while Chapman is okay in the 'pen, but continues to struggle with pitching multiple days in a row.

That might push Cincinnati to a deal for better, TOR pitching.

Guacarock
09-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Exactly. Failures for 2011 include Janish, Renteria, Lewis, Heisey (ducking and running), and if not for a few games, Cairo. Why couldn't we change it up a bit? The answer is Dusty Baker. Hearing his explanation on why he isn't playing Alonso was proof enough. Dusty is fighting for his managerial life and he feels a lot of pressure for a winning season and would rather go with the known than the unknown. It's up to Walt Jocketty to assemble a team without toys for Dusty to play with. The Freddie Lewises and Paul Janishes and the Edgar Renterias must be elimanated. Will that happen? I won't hold my breath.

Guys like Lewis, Janish, Renteria or Cairo don't need to be eliminated. They just have to be recognized for what they are -- bench players -- and used accordingly. They can serve a valuable purpose on a team, but shouldn't be counted upon as regular positional players. For that, you either need qualified vets (and be prepared to pay them) or if you can't fit qualified vets into your budget, then you need to substitute promising prospects.

The problem with the Reds, and it is a chronic issue: We had such a lousy farm system for so many years that a lot of the braintrust -- both in the front office and field management -- got into the crutch of preferring retreads over young pups nurtured from within. Understandable CYA position, as we did a poor job drafting and also developing talent. For the team to improve, at some point, this mindset has to change.

I don't know that a full-scale Maoist purge has to occur, and certainly wouldn't recommend that all of our players be 30 and under, or only homegrown talents, or any such nonsensical, either-or solution. Nothing's ever that easy or everyone would have figured it out in advance.

But still, if the Reds are going to get back on track, a good mix must be found balancing veteran experience and youthful promise. Our drafting scorecard has improved by leaps and bounds in recent years, and our farm system as a whole is getting stronger, but at top, there's still too much resistance to tapping this resource or failure to recognize that it's even available.

Hopefully, over time, the right adjustments will occur. Didn't seem to happen this summer, but next year, I'm inclined to believe we'll see a smoother transition to where we need to be. If not, heads will roll, and deservedly so.

gilpdawg
09-01-2011, 02:38 AM
It should be noted that Volquez has had a nice season at AAA. His stuff has never been the question. Can he make a Cueto like leap in maturity? can he realize that talent can only take you so far?
I'm still not ready to completely give up on Volquez. He's kind of had a Liriano like return from TJ. I'm cautious about him, but I'm not ready to write him off either.

Looking forward to seeing Dev, hope he plays on the 17th, since that's the only game I'm going to rest of this year.

Ron Madden
09-01-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm still not ready to completely give up on Volquez. He's kind of had a Liriano like return from TJ. I'm cautious about him, but I'm not ready to write him off either.

Looking forward to seeing Dev, hope he plays on the 17th, since that's the only game I'm going to rest of this year.

I'm not ready to give up on Edinson Volquez either. I still believe he has better stuff and a better future than Bronson Arroyo.

P.S. Welcome to The Old Red Guard. We may not always agree with one another but IMHO your promotion has been long over due. :thumbup:

gilpdawg
09-01-2011, 04:20 AM
P.S. Welcome to The Old Red Guard. We may not always agree with one another but IMHO your promotion has been long over due. :thumbup:
Thanks man. Glad to be here. Now I've got to be a good boy. :)

Ron Madden
09-01-2011, 04:20 AM
Walt talks to JFay about the players called up.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/08/31/jocketty-on-the-moves/

mth123
09-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Volquez has been showing the frequently seen deterioration of command and control after TJ surgery. IMO he came back too soon. He's just passed the 24 month mark and that is usually when guys start too regain most of the command and control to be effective. Volquez may never be a TOR starter, but he could still be better than most of the junk in the Reds rotation. Sure, he probably still walks 4+ per nine innings, but that is still a reduction of 1.5 Walks per 9 or so from what we've seen this year. Maybe more importantly, if he can regain some command inside the strike zone, he'll probably cut down on the HRs. If he cuts his peripheral stats to say 4.2 BB/9 and and even 1.0 HR/9 from what we've seen this season, he'd probably have an ERA in the low 4's and be one of the team's better starters.

Its certianly not a sure thing and the team hopefully makes its plans as though Volquez isn't an option. I still think the biggest mistake coming into 2011 was depending on too many question marks instead of planning more realistically by adding a vet or two. But to just dismiss Volquez would also be a mistake IMO. I'd deal him and let some other team take the chance on him if an acceptable return is offered (something that could play a signficant role in 2012), otherwise, I'd keep him and see how he looks in the spring. IMO, the 80 IP that he got in AAA this season may be the best thing to happen for his career. The Reds should fill the rotation without considering Volquez and then give him every opportunity to beat out the 5th starter with his showings in September and in Spring if they don't get a decent offer for him. My first hope is that his September showings lure the interest of some team with something to offer the Reds. I think a lot of team's would love to pick up Volquez on the cheap. September is the time to prop up the price.

cumberlandreds
09-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Another top prospect for Dusty to sit on the bench!

I know its a leap of faith but I hope Dusty will start him a game or two this month. I saw in Fays blog that Mesoraco was voted best defensive catcher in the league. That was good to see. I had been wondering about his defense.

bucksfan2
09-01-2011, 09:33 AM
I hope Mesoraco plays virtually every day, if only to avoid threads insisting on Baker's love of vets.

Thats not going to happen and to expect it to happen is wishful thinking. Mesoraco has already played a career high number of games this year. He has caught 97 games this season and for comparisons sake Hernandez has caught 73 games. Mes will get a few starts as well as a first hand introduction to professional baseball. I don't really expect to see him get more than 5 starts as catcher.

westofyou
09-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Or the classic "Dusty is stupid" meme

I wish I was stupid enough to manage for three decades in MLB

cumberlandreds
09-01-2011, 09:37 AM
With all the new pitchers coming up I would think it would time to sit down for the rest of the season,Ondrusek,Massett and probably Bray. I think those three are probably worn out from all the use this season. Sit them down and hopefully they can come back strong for 2012.

cumberlandreds
09-01-2011, 09:40 AM

I can't blame the Reds for sticking with Volquez. He's got great stuff and if it does ever click he could be very similar to Cueto. But I do think he is at the end of his rope with the Reds. I think he will get some starts in September. If its the same ole,same ole with him then I doubt we will see him back next season.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
From John Fay:

Baker said Mesoraco will catch some bullpens, get acclimated a few days before playing. #reds

http://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman

I'm looking forward to the day when Dusty Baker is no longer the manager of the Reds.

westofyou
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
From John Fay:

Baker said Mesoraco will catch some bullpens, get acclimated a few days before playing. #reds

I'm looking forward to the day when Dusty Baker is no longer the manager of the Reds.

Oh it will happen, sooner than later. he's not really a spring chicken anymore, when your forte is connecting with younger players eventually that will change as the width between his age and the players widens, so will the skill set weaken.

However, don't be surprise dif you utter the same phrase with the new skippers name in place of Dusty's

redsmetz
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
From John Fay:

How on earth is this any different than Baker's overall approach. He's always been upfront about this. And my guess this is typical of most September call ups. We are so intent on getting our shorts in a bunch following this disastrous season. This clubs loses nothing moving Mesoraco into playing time in this month. It's clear he's ready; it's clear one of the current catchers will not be here next season (likely Hernandez, as things now stand). Throwing him out there every day is just as meaningless, IMO, as gradually getting to him.

I've said this repeatedly. I'm tired of the daggone carrousel of changing managers. I'd prefer finally having some extended tenure in a position that in the last two decades as been a one to two and a half year time per manager.

bucksfan2
09-01-2011, 10:52 AM
From John Fay:

Whats the issue with this? As I posted earlier Mes is already at a career high in games caught. He has caught more than both Hanigan and Hernandez have caught this season. You want the Reds to throw a worn down Mes out there day in day out?

SirFelixCat
09-01-2011, 11:16 AM
From John Fay:

And to add to that, per Fay, from Dusty:

“He’ll be learning the signs, all the little things entailed in catching,” Baker said. “Much like when Buster Posey came up last year, he didn’t just right into the lineup.”

That, to me, sounds like someone who knows he's under a microscope when it comes to playing time for the young'uns.:thumbup:

BRM
09-01-2011, 11:28 AM
“He’ll be learning the signs, all the little things entailed in catching,” Baker said. “Much like when Buster Posey came up last year, he didn’t just right into the lineup.”

If he's referring to 2009, he would be correct. Posey only managed to get 17 plate appearances during that September callup, he sat most of the month. However, last year he was recalled on May 29th and started that night.

Brutus
09-01-2011, 11:31 AM
From John Fay:

I'm really struggling to see how this is a bad thing. At very least, it's a respectable approach even if one might have a different preference.

lollipopcurve
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM
If he's referring to 2009, he would be correct. Posey only managed to get 17 plate appearances during that September callup, he sat most of the month. However, last year he was recalled on May 29th and started that night

Yep. In 2009, Posey sat almost all month, with a few PH appearances, then started the last 4-5 games. Then played in AAA for the first 2 months of the following year. Let's hope that's not the plan for Mesoraco.

IslandRed
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
If he's referring to 2009, he would be correct. Posey only managed to get 17 plate appearances during that September callup, he sat most of the month. However, last year he was recalled on May 29th and started that night.

... At first base. It took a week before the Giants put him behind the plate. Not sure that has any applicability to the Mesoraco situation, but catcher is more complicated than other positions, so I don't think it's unheard of for a rookie catcher to be eased in.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Mesoraco needs atbats. He should be the starting catcher next year, giving him as many atbats as possible in order to get adjusted sooner is the ideal way to go, IMO. He should have been up a month ago.

Brutus
09-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Mesoraco needs atbats. He should be the starting catcher next year, giving him as many atbats as possible in order to get adjusted sooner is the ideal way to go, IMO. He should have been up a month ago.

He was getting at-bats. Everyday, in fact, with benefit of being a DH sometimes instead of catching. There's no need to rush him. I actually like the Reds were taking their time with him.

Regardless, even if one argues he should have been up a month ago, he wasn't. So these extra few days aren't going to hurt his development any.

Redsfan320
09-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Mes wearing #39. What the heck? Top catching prospect with 39?! He better be wearing 9 next year.

09-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Mes wearing #39. What the heck? Top catching prospect with 39?! He better be wearing 9 next year.

He was wearing #36 in the minors. That might be his favorite numbers, and #39 is kinda like an upside down #36?

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 01:03 PM
36 is his favorite number. He wore it in Carolina too.

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Am I missing something? I think 36 is unassigned on the Reds right now?

Crap -- forgot about Volquez. I guess Mes will have to wait until next year.

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 01:19 PM
His name is Edinson Volquez.

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2011, 01:20 PM
His name is Edison Volquez.

Cool. I'm sure Mes won't mind waiting until the off-season to take the number when Volquez vacates it.

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Likely scenario.

TRF
09-01-2011, 02:14 PM
actually its Edinson Volquez. :)

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Actually, it's "it's" :)

_Sir_Charles_
09-01-2011, 03:31 PM
nm

TRF
09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I always forget that stoopid apostrophe.