PDA

View Full Version : Vet-tember?

lollipopcurve
09-01-2011, 08:53 AM
OK, I'm generally not someone who rails against older players/managers/GMs, always preferring the younger option. But here we are in September, with about 30 games to play, the team out of the race, and no close playoff races, not even for the wildcard, facing any of the Reds' opponents for the rest of the year. So -- time to start playing for 2012, right?

Or will we have Vet-tember?

Perhaps the following metrics can tell us what month our favorite ballclub is playing in:

More starts -- Hernandez or Mesoraco?
More ABs -- Cairo or Francisco?
More ABs -- Renteria or Valaika?
More starts -- Lewis or Frazier?
More ABs -- Alonso or Janish?

I'll track these (as well as any that may emerge, suggestions welcome) and update for those of us wondering what calendar the ballclub is playing in.

cumberlandreds
09-01-2011, 09:01 AM
26 games left this season. The season ends earlier than usual on September 28th. So this is shorter September than usual. My guess is that we will see the youngster little as Cairo,Reteria,Hernanigan and Lewis add to their stats.

mbgrayson
09-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Or maybe not.....From Mark Sheldon's Twitter:

reds announce that OF Fred Lewis cleared waivers and was sent outright to AAA Louisville.

Slyder
09-02-2011, 10:24 AM
More starts -- Hernandez or Mesoraco?
More ABs -- Cairo or Francisco?
More ABs -- Renteria or Valaika?
More starts -- Lewis or Frazier? By Default
More ABs -- Alonso or Janish?

I doubt if they overload Mesoraco this year. They use Mesoraco to get a few "firsts" out of the way and let him watch Hernanigan and use him primarily as an extra pinch hitter. He will get some starts probably but that will be limited I expect.

Cairo is best when he's allowed to spot start and a valuable guy off the bench. I think the Reds use this time to see what Francisco can do vs MLB pitching.

Renteria gets more starts because short of Walt also removing him from the 40 man I don't think Dusty can resist.

Alonso gets the majority of the starts in LF. The Reds know what they basically have in Janish.

westofyou
09-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Renteria gets more starts because short of Walt also removing him from the 40 man I don't think Dusty can resist.

I don't blame him, August saw Janish get more ab's than Edgar and Edgar had a .628 OPS, not very good... unless comparing it to PJ

.125/.211/.188/.399

Concerning "who" might need to be removed from the 40 man... I have a sense Janish will be in early October

PuffyPig
09-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't blame him, August saw Janish get more ab's than Edgar and Edgar had a .628 OPS, not very good... unless comparing it to PJ

.125/.211/.188/.399

Concerning "who" might need to be removed from the 40 man... I have a sense Janish will be in early October

I doubt it, as he's currenty slated to be our back up next year. At least he won't be until we get a young SS besides Cozart.

Unassisted
09-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Don't forget that Dusty has always been concerned with keeping up appearances in September in games that affect the division races. I look for veteran-heavy lineups against every team still in the race.

cumberlandreds
09-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Don't forget that Dusty has always been concerned with keeping up appearances in September in games that affect the division races. I look for veteran-heavy lineups against every team still in the race.

The Reds don't really play anyone that is in any type of race. The only two series remotely close a race would this weekends Cardinal series and the Brewers series the weekend of September 16th. I don't know how much the Cards are behind but they are a remote, at best, possibilty to make the playoffs. The Brewers should just about have it clinched by the time the Reds play them.

Chip R
09-02-2011, 04:53 PM
The Reds don't really play anyone that is in any type of race. The only two series remotely close a race would this weekends Cardinal series and the Brewers series the weekend of September 16th. I don't know how much the Cards are behind but they are a remote, at best, possibilty to make the playoffs. The Brewers should just about have it clinched by the time the Reds play them.

Yes but there is the best record race. The loser plays Philly first round.